Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only bit of hope I had for U of T came when I saw that 3.79... Perhaps they had too many people asking about what extracurriculars they had in order to get an invite with their GPA

If the post wasn't made in error then their extra-curriculars must've been amazing since they stated that they lacked research experience o.O

People are getting interviews with 9 days notice? That's ridiculous.

Agreed. I don't want to sound rude, but I think it's disrespectful to applicants, honestly.

Edit: unless it's a cancellation, which I guess is okay. But I thought the ones earlier this week were a bit short notice, too.

Only two confirmed invites for Feb 2 so far in the stats thread (many more for Feb 1 confirmed including one today - ie they are still giving out invites to Feb 1). I'm sure this means they have several (if not lots) more Feb 2 invites to still give out.

And then there is March 1, March 2, March 29 and March 30. So still a LOT of invites coming!:cool:

Only two confirmed invites for Feb 2 so far in the stats thread (many more for Feb 1 confirmed including one today - ie they are still giving out invites to Feb 1). I'm sure this means they have several (if not lots) more Feb 2 invites to still give out.

And then there is March 1, March 2, March 29 and March 30. So still a LOT of invites coming!:cool:

Not to mention the March 1 invites were only given out to MD PhD and those living OOP, so there are definitely lots more Feb 2 and March 1 invite spots available and coming out. Basically Feb 2, Mar 1, Mar 2, Mar 29, and Mar 30 dates are still wide open. LOTS of invites left coming out :)

The 3rd year applicants have strong stats. Perhaps they are shifting towards snapping up the strong students while they are in 3rd year.

Interesting though as all through the years it's been very difficult for 3rd years to get an interview/acceptance. they must have changed something.

Currently, 22 people have posted stats for this cycle

# of interviews in 2013: 587

Assuming roughly same # of interviews,

3.75% of this cycle's interviewees have posted stats.

Take from that what you will.

Now I know we have more that 22 posters at this point, but I'm trying to remember that we're only seeing a small snap shot of who has received an invite so far- maybe pm101 is overrun with third years :D

I'm still hoping for a few more grad student invites :P

I have no idea, hopefully Leon will let us know how many people thy're interviewing per weekend. But there are still two weekend in march left (only MD/PHD applicants have gotten invites for Mar 1 or so I've been told).

Don't give up hope until you get a rejection letter. Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been a first large batch of regrets yet this cycle.

I remember virtually giving up all hope last year after receiving rejection after rejection and seeing UT invites flying out all over the place and wasn't getting one myself until one of the very last batches. It's definitely a very stressful time...Hang in there everyone.

Ok you guys are really paranoid, lol.

The forum community is not representative of the applicant pool. Take the stats thread with a grain of salt!

I want to reiterate that anyone who applied and considers themselves a competitive applicant (you should be able to judge that based on the various stats thread over the past few years) should be preparing for interviews. It's very difficult to coordinate these interviews and many factors have to be taken into account. There are people who've received interviews at just a few day's notice at other schools in the past. I'm sure the Faculty is doing the best they can to give people as much time as possible but there's a lot of coordination involved.

Please keep in mind that UofT is one of the few schools that holistically reviews your entire application instead of just using cut offs (which is naturally not as much work administrative wise). In the meantime, prep prep prep!

Ok you guys are really paranoid, lol.

Hahaha, yeah, but it's kind of fun :P

I got another unlisted call from an Ontario number (OMG it's uoft!!! Or maybe Mac or Queens!). Now I'm a valued Telus customer… made me laugh since I'm with KOODO (a branch of Telus, but still)

People are getting interviews with 9 days notice? That's ridiculous.

Last year I was invited for the last interview day (April 7) around 72 hours prior to the interview and during exams. So I think 9 days is pretty good :)

I'm also surprised at how many 3rd year applicants are getting interviews this time around! I applied out of 3rd year and was the bottom ranked applicant out of 587 interviewed, I know this because the other people on the 'interview waitlist' posted their rejections around an hour after I got my invite. My interview wasn't good enough to get me in I guess (or maybe my preinterview score made it hopeless even with a good interview) but I got in elsewhere in Ontario. Either way I think it's interesting that TO has changed their criteria and interviewing style - they wouldn't have done it if they didn't have some issues with the regular panel.

Anyways, just thought some of you might like this n of 1 data, and good luck to everyone applying this year!

Archived