Premed 101 Forums

Canadian & US Match Together

Thio

My Background: I've applied to Canada and the US ( a difficult and expensive proposition) finished several Canadian and US interviews. Just completed both my Canadian and US rank lists and submitted 'em. Put into CaRMS that I'm participating in the NRMP match and the reverse in the NRMP.

What I'm wondering is what happens next? If I match in Canada on March 5th when does the NRMP tell me I've been pulled from the match?

Cheers & Thanks-

Thio

As noted in

https://www.carms.ca/en/application-to-us-eras

You may register for both matches and apply to Canadian and US programs, with the understanding that the CaRMS match is run before the NRMP match

If you are matched to an R-1 position through CaRMS’ first iteration, you will automatically and without any notification be withdrawn from the NRMP.

It seems to me it is not an ideal situation, as you won't be able to rank any US list higher than Canadian one.

you will automatically and without any notification be withdrawn from the NRMP.

Thanks for the heads up lazyboy. Damn, I was hoping they would let me know if they pulled from the US match.

I don't like how its happening either, I would love to take my shot at some of the top US schools before falling back on some Canadian backups but that's just not possible.

Thanks for the heads up lazyboy. Damn, I was hoping they would let me know if they pulled from the US match.

I don't like how its happening either, I would love to take my shot at some of the top US schools before falling back on some Canadian backups but that's just not possible.

That's not correct; you will be notified on the NRMP website that you have been withdrawn. It usually happens 5-7 days prior to the Canadian match, so expect it at the end of this month.

A few of my classmates didn't submit a ROL for CaRMS, and banked on the US match. Obviously risky, but it worked out well for them.

Yes, it is risky, but hopefully you get a better sense when you're interviewed. Mind you, if you take a closer look at the link I provided above

>>If, for any reason, you are released from either the Canadian match contract or the US match contract, you are NOT eligible for the second iteration of the CaRMS match in the same year because you are deemed to be a matched applicant. <<

In essence, if you don't submit ROL for CaRMS, you can apply for the second iteration, finger crossed you don't have to. May be someone should confirm this by making a phone call to CaRMS.

• 4 weeks later...
hey guys,

thanks for starting this topic!

I have a question too: If I apply to carms for second iteration, will my app be withdrawn from ERAS?

The second iteration is after both ERAS's main match and it's SOAP. So while you wont be withdrawn from ERAS for merely applying, you will be withdraw from CaRMS 2nd iteration if you match in either ERAS or SOAP.

Roughly, the timeline for the two matches is:

1st iteration --> ERAS (main match) --> SOAP (ERAS round 2) --> 2nd iteration

- Cheers

• 2 years later...

My Background: I've applied to Canada and the US ( a difficult and expensive proposition) finished several Canadian and US interviews. Just completed both my Canadian and US rank lists and submitted 'em. Put into CaRMS that I'm participating in the NRMP match and the reverse in the NRMP.

What I'm wondering is what happens next? If I match in Canada on March 5th when does the NRMP tell me I've been pulled from the match?

Cheers & Thanks-

Thio

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I'm wondering how this turned out for you.

• 5 weeks later...

One of the biggest mistake of my life was to follow my husband in this rabbit whole of ERAS and US residency. 

Since plan was to come back. I should have taken the advice of all before me and all my mentors who said "If you go back, you will have issues coming back"

the issues I face now. 

US residencies are shorter, board exam is after the final year of residency not couple of month to the end.

Licensure in Canada needs the Board exam pass grade, to even start looking at the file.

You pay like 245$ a paycheck just for healthcare,  

MY ADVICE just do the residency in Canada

• 5 years later...
On 7/6/2016 at 2:45 AM, shimshim said:

One of the biggest mistake of my life was to follow my husband in this rabbit whole of ERAS and US residency. 

Since plan was to come back. I should have taken the advice of all before me and all my mentors who said "If you go back, you will have issues coming back"

the issues I face now. 

US residencies are shorter, board exam is after the final year of residency not couple of month to the end.

Licensure in Canada needs the Board exam pass grade, to even start looking at the file.

You pay like 245$ a paycheck just for healthcare,  

MY ADVICE just do the residency in Canada

is it hard for a Canadian to do residency in the US then practice in the us?