Premed 101 Forums

The post-interview wait

For those of you who had multiple interviews, how did you rank McMaster in terms of where you would go if you had the opportunity to choose? I only interviewed at two schools this cycle and so am very curious haha

obviously just hope for the opportunity to choose, but given that, the main thing is the difference with the # of years, the location, and impressions from older friends. although the criteria that are important to you might be different

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you who had multiple interviews, how did you rank McMaster in terms of where you would go if you had the opportunity to choose? I only interviewed at two schools this cycle and so am very curious haha

I also had 2 interviews and I hope I'm blessed with the opportunity to choose lol

I'm having a really though time deciding, but we still have lots of time so I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

How about yourself?

I also had 2 interviews and I hope I'm blessed with the opportunity to choose lol

I'm having a really though time deciding, but we still have lots of time so I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

How about yourself?

I'm not entirely sure actually. I interviewed at Calgary and McMaster, and I feel that both programs fit me really well, as opposed to some of the more didactic programs across Canada, so I'm feeling really lucky to get those interviews.

I think I currently have McMaster higher (sorry Sarvish :( ), but Calgary has a really interesting Leaders in Medicine program that has caught my attention, and it's closer to my home, so I think it'll be very hard to decide if I were given the opportunity to do so.

I'm not entirely sure actually. I interviewed at Calgary and McMaster, and I feel that both programs fit me really well, as opposed to some of the more didactic programs across Canada, so I'm feeling really lucky to get those interviews.

I think I currently have McMaster higher (sorry Sarvish :( ), but Calgary has a really interesting Leaders in Medicine program that has caught my attention, and it's closer to my home, so I think it'll be very hard to decide if I were given the opportunity to do so.

I'm joking of course :P Mac convinced me that if I apply next year and have the choice, I'd pick it over most, if not all, other Ontario schools (mainly UofT, I need to get out of here for a while).

Guys, is this a hypothetical ranking in your head, or is there a place where we actually have to put our ranks for our medical schools?

Hypothetical, I mainly asked to gauge how fast the waitlist may move at McMaster, as Sarvish alluded to.

I'm joking of course :P Mac convinced me that if I apply next year I have the choice, I'd pick it over most, if not all, other Ontario schools (mainly UofT, I need to get out of here for a while).

But you wouldn't pick it over most this year?

Hypothetical, I mainly asked to gauge how fast the waitlist may move at McMaster, as Sarvish alluded to.

But you wouldn't pick it over most this year?

It's the only school I applied to this year so it's automatically at the top of my list.

I interviewed at UBC, Calgary, and Mac. Got a weird "we are the greatest" vibe at UBC, loved (loved loved loved) Calgary, and liked Mac a lot. I don't really want to move that far east though (I'm from Victoria), so if I'm fortunate enough to choose between Mac and another school, there will probably be another spot opening at Mac.

Who knows though. Still so much time.

LOL...

Did I ever tell you my rank list? I feel like I did

I believe you did, I know your first choice and have an idea of the rest unless it changed after the last time we met.

A bunch of people from PM101 ending up at Mac doesn't sound like such a bad thing though.

I believe you did, I know your first choice and have an idea of the rest unless it changed after the last time we met.

A bunch of people from PM101 ending up at Mac doesn't sound like such a bad thing though.

No major changes, except some movement near the bottom.

I think that like a lot of other people, I felt really bad about one station in particular. I know that it's no use thinking about it since all we can do now is wait, but MAN it's hard.

I had a mean interviewer for one of my stations. Didn't even look at me when I walked into the room and throughout my answer this person kept asking me if there was "anything else". Did anyone else experience this?

I think that like a lot of other people, I felt really bad about one station in particular. I know that it's no use thinking about it since all we can do now is wait, but MAN it's hard.

I had a mean interviewer for one of my stations. Didn't even look at me when I walked into the room and throughout my answer this person kept asking me if there was "anything else". Did anyone else experience this?

I had one guy who cut me off a few times really rudely but most of the other 8 were super nice. One lady told me I did well as I was leaving, which I don't think they're supposed to do.

One guy did something similar for me too.. He asked me what my favourite soccer team was, and said "well I can't mark you badly for that!". Not exactly sure what that meant.

It just strikes me as interesting that some circuits had 10/10 nice interviewers whereas some circuits had one or two mean ones. I originally thought they might have been deliberately placed there but that would only make sense if that was the case with all the circuits.

Anyways best of luck to you! Mac is my only shot too. =)

One guy did something similar for me too.. He asked me what my favourite soccer team was, and said "well I can't mark you badly for that!". Not exactly sure what that meant.

It just strikes me as interesting that some circuits had 10/10 nice interviewers whereas some circuits had one or two mean ones. I originally thought they might have been deliberately placed there but that would only make sense if that was the case with all the circuits.

I heard most people had 1 or 2 mean ones. My acting one was a whole different story. :P

Thanks! Just under 40 days left, hopefully I'll see you in August.

Most schools are like this, imagine trying to find 40 interviewers that all have the same mood on a given day!

Someone I know who is currently in medschool told me about an interviewer they had that sat there with his head on the desk and circled all tens on the evaluation form in front of him in the first minute of the station!

@Sarvish I'm sure you did great!

Most schools are like this, imagine trying to find 40 interviewers that all have the same mood on a given day!

Someone I know who is currently in medschool told me about an interviewer they had that sat there with his head on the desk and circled all tens on the evaluation form in front of him in the first minute of the station!

@Sarvish I'm sure you did great!

Thanks, hope your interviews went great too!

Frankly, I don't think this was necessarily true. 'Nice' and 'mean' interviewer is a pretty subjective thing. Some people (perhaps a majority but certainly not all) might prefer having someone who actively engages and adds a little bit of their own thinking. Others might see this as rude or distracting and thus see the person as 'mean'.

In any case, I don't necessarily think they should (if it is even possible) try and place people according to 'niceness' or 'meanness' or try to have them adjust their personalities.

I think one of the beautiful things about the MMI is that you get 10 independent perspectives one each applicant. If ten different people (regardless of their mood or disposition) think you're pretty great, then chances are you're at least somewhat great. If 10 different people don't think you can communicate clearly or think clearly, etc., chances are you probably can't. In reality, if you do end up in medicine (or really most professions), you'll deal with people who are 'mean' or not in a good mood. You should be able to think and communicate clearly regardless of that.

• 2 weeks later...
I think one of the beautiful things about the MMI is that you get 10 independent perspectives one each applicant. If ten different people (regardless of their mood or disposition) think you're pretty great, then chances are you're at least somewhat great. If 10 different people don't think you can communicate clearly or think clearly, etc., chances are you probably can't. In reality, if you do end up in medicine (or really most professions), you'll deal with people who are 'mean' or not in a good mood. You should be able to think and communicate clearly regardless of that.

Is the shotgun approach really optimal when it comes to picking a fit, though?

Archived