Premed 101 Forums

Movies about Medicine

canucks_14

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey so I'm trying to find some good medical movies to watch. I've seen Patch Adams and loved it, I want to know what are some others? I've heard about Awakenings too but haven't seen it yet.

If people could chime in with their favorite medical movies, it'd be much appreciated!

You need to see Awakenings, very very good. Williams and De Niro are great, and based on a true story

• 1 month later...

I can't believe he came within 5 seconds of the time window for the surgery to be successful (or however many seconds it was). I thought that was crazy. Also the surgery was ridiculously long. Like 22 hours or something? I couldn't imagine being focused for that long.

Oh you mean the last big surgery? Lol ya...he was in the OR the entire time. Hopefully in the real life situation, he actually went out for pee breaks and to eat lol. 

Oh you mean the last big surgery? Lol ya...he was in the OR the entire time. Hopefully in the real life situation, he actually went out for pee breaks and to eat lol.

I highly doubt he had breaks....I mean time was a huge issue I doubt he is going outside the or to scarf down some food. Bathroom breaks are necessary but even that may not be the case. Doesn't the stress and adrenaline one would feel during such a high stakes procedure have an inhibitory effect on going to the bathroom or hunger anyways?

Not really. I haven't seen the movie, but staff surgeons aren't routinely stressed out while operating. Certainly when you're assisting it can be more problematic simply to stay awake! I've never seen a case lasting 22 hours, but TRAM flaps can take an entire day, and I've seen staff taking at least a bathroom/lunch break. 

On the anesthesia side of things, though, watching the monitor for response to your vaso/epi infusions and intermittent epi boluses and seeing an SBP of 60-70 prompts a bit more concern. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched "The Normal Heart" - it's about the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 80's. Very powerful movie, great acting

If you're interested in the AID/HIV epidemic in the 80's, "How to Survive a Plague" is the best film out there. An amazing documentary that looks at the crisis without pulling any punches.  

I watched a television drama called Dae Jang Geum. It's about the mostly fictionalized account of the first female doctor from the Joseon era in Korea. I found the descriptions of old Oriental medicine particularly fascinating as well as the emphasis upon diet and herbal medicine in terms of preventative medicine. Really interesting. Plus the court drama and intrigue makes for really entertaining viewing!

If you're interested in the AID/HIV epidemic in the 80's, "How to Survive a Plague" is the best film out there. An amazing documentary that looks at the crisis without pulling any punches.  

It's good, but as far as docu-dramas go, "And the Band Played On" is by far the best. It's from about 1993 and was an HBO TV movie - mainly focuses on CDC people tracking the early years of HIV when no one knew it was HIV and was just "GRID" (Gay-related immune deficiency). Another group of characters include activists in San Francisco. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah. I know I've seen one or two episodes of Boston Med. It would be interesting for lay people, maybe, along with premeds and perhaps early-on med students. For anyone further along than that it's going to be like watching a documentary of your day at work, except eliminating all the random boring stuff you do in between. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh yes, I'm totally in love with this show. It is just amazing!

I watched the first few episodes of this show at my cousin's house. I got really into it!

Unfortunately I don't have HBO and don't like watching shows on my laptop, so I can't continue watching it right now.

I would highly recommend Doctor in the House.  Its a British comedy from the 1950s about medical education. Its a very different world in some ways (everyone wears suits etc) but in other ways things have stayed entirely the same (e.g. the excessive drinking and general rambunctiousness of the preclinical years).  I understand it spawned something of a series of films, and cant speak to their quality, but the original is definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoy classic films!

Archived