Premed 101 Forums

So Let Me Get This Straight (University Prestige)

ArdentMed

So if I went to a prestigious school with a challenging major ie: UBC Sciences (where only 3% of the first year Chemistry class gets 90%+, and 0.6% of students in any first year English class earn 90%+ according to their grades distribution website), and ended up with, say, a 3.5 GPA, would I be worse off (from a medical schools admissions purposes) than going to an "easier" university, such as Capilano, and earning a 4.0 GPA? 

Isn't there a flaw in that logic? Does the university's prestige truly not matter? Does this only apply for Canada, or is it also applicable for the States as well? 

Thanks in advance. 

The formula is quite simple. GPA is by far the most important. And only the francophone medical schools take into account the difficulty of the program in assesing the relative value of a high GPA from an easier program vs a lower, and more worthy GPA, from a difficult program. 

So if I went to a prestigious school with a challenging major ie: UBC Sciences (where only 3% of the first year Chemistry class gets 90%+, and 0.6% of students in any first year English class earn 90%+ according to their grades distribution website), and ended up with, say, a 3.5 GPA, would I be worse off (from a medical schools admissions purposes) than going to an "easier" university, such as Capilano, and earning a 4.0 GPA? 

Isn't there a flaw in that logic? Does the university's prestige truly not matter? Does this only apply for Canada, or is it also applicable for the States as well? 

Thanks in advance. 

Precisely, all that matters at the end of the day is the number.

It would be overly complicated to try and evaluate the "difficulty" of every single program at every institution

It's sad, but that's essentially the truth. I've heard rumours of some schools taking into account the 'difficulty' of your degree, but such a thing is obviously difficult for the committee to agree on, if they even attempt to.

UBC Sciences isn't too bad. Study hard, utilize the resources and get involved with the brightest students.

University Location  Count

UNIV OF ALBERTA AB 4

UNIV OF CALGARY AB 2

SIMON FRASER UNIV BC  1

UNIV OF BRITISH COLUMBIA BC  8

UNIV OF VICTORIA BC 1

UNIV OF MANITOBA MB 1

UNIV OF NEW BRUNSWICK NB 1

ACADIA UNIV NS 1

DALHOUSIE UNIV NS 4

ALGOMA UNIVERSITY ON 1

MCMASTER UNIV ON 58

QUEEN'S UNIV ON 19

UNIV OF GUELPH ON 4

UNIV OF OTTAWA ON 10

UNIV OF TORONTO ON 66

UNIV OF WATERLOO ON 9

UNIV OF WINDSOR ON 4

WESTERN UNIV ON 35

YORK UNIV ON 3

MCGILL UNIV QC 17

UNIV OF MELBOURNE Australia 1

UNIV OF CAMBRIDGE UK 1

COLUMBIA UNIV USA 1

JOHNS HOPKINS UNIV USA 2

MIDDLEBURY COL USA 1

STANFORD UNIV USA 1

UNION COLL NY USA 1

UNIV OF ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM USA 1

UNIV OF WASHINGTON USA 1  

TOTAL    259

This is the breakdown of UofT's entering class for 2013. Interpret how you will. There are a small number of matriculants from york. Most of the matriculants come from tough programs, like UofT and Mcmaster. That's not to say that they're looking at prestige. It could be that certain schools had less promising candidates. It is clear though, based on the numbers, that in 2013, more UofT students got in than york students, and more Mac students got in than Western students etc. Feel free to interpret this however you like. (Using UofT as an example: Other schools may be different)

Source: 

Precisely, all that matters at the end of the day is the number.

It would be overly complicated to try and evaluate the "difficulty" of every single program at every institution

Also, impossible, as different programs and subjects are completely different difficulties to different people.

There's many people who can get a 90 in chemistry class that could never write a 90% essay for an upper year english theory class, and vice versa. 

People have different learning styles and different interests. Take whatever you'll get the best marks in.

University Location  Count

UNIV OF ALBERTA AB 4

UNIV OF CALGARY AB 2

SIMON FRASER UNIV BC  1

UNIV OF BRITISH COLUMBIA BC  8

UNIV OF VICTORIA BC 1

UNIV OF MANITOBA MB 1

UNIV OF NEW BRUNSWICK NB 1

ACADIA UNIV NS 1

DALHOUSIE UNIV NS 4

ALGOMA UNIVERSITY ON 1

MCMASTER UNIV ON 58

QUEEN'S UNIV ON 19

UNIV OF GUELPH ON 4

UNIV OF OTTAWA ON 10

UNIV OF TORONTO ON 66

UNIV OF WATERLOO ON 9

UNIV OF WINDSOR ON 4

WESTERN UNIV ON 35

YORK UNIV ON 3

MCGILL UNIV QC 17

UNIV OF MELBOURNE Australia 1

UNIV OF CAMBRIDGE UK 1

COLUMBIA UNIV USA 1

JOHNS HOPKINS UNIV USA 2

MIDDLEBURY COL USA 1

STANFORD UNIV USA 1

UNION COLL NY USA 1

UNIV OF ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM USA 1

UNIV OF WASHINGTON USA 1  

TOTAL    259

This is the breakdown of UofT's entering class for 2013. Interpret how you will. There are a small number of matriculants from york. Most of the matriculants come from tough programs, like UofT and Mcmaster. That's not to say that they're looking at prestige. It could be that certain schools had less promising candidates. It is clear though, based on the numbers, that in 2013, more UofT students got in than york students, and more Mac students got in than Western students etc. Feel free to interpret this however you like. (Using UofT as an example: Other schools may be different)

Source: 

people buying into the prestige hype may cause UofT having better applicant pool.

Also, Mac has their health sci beasts so it has the natural advantage

I believe in school prestige, just not for premed.

That's the reality. Considering how much GPA is weighted, you would think they would consider difficulty of the programs/schools, but it is very hard to quantify.

In the end though, we are the ones who make the final decision on the university or the program, fully knowing that there are "easier" options out there.

Keep in mind that UofT is the only(?) school that takes into account the "difficulty" of your undergrad degree. No one really knows what they mean by that but they may very well favour some universities' students over others.

At Mac, I believe I've heard that most of our students came from Mac's Health Sci followed by Western's BioMed with all other schools somewhere below that. 

I think the most telling number on that list is Waterloo... it's a considered a tough school yet only 9 students were accepted....

tough school but only for particular programs (some of my degrees are from there).

It also has a rep as a more technical school - so you may not see as many people interested in medicine even going to that school comparatively.

Finally they is the issue where there may be self selection - smarter people initially may want to go to particular schools (the whole prestige thing again) and in the end that may produce some schools with higher numbers proprotionally going to medicals school. That has nothing directly to do with the school's though ability to get you in :)

I will say in general there is still a huge difference between a 4.0 anywhere and a 3.5 anywhere regardless of how you do the math. GPA is still king, and you cannot fight against a computer scoring system that is evaluating you for pre interview selection. The universities are not lying when they tell you program doesn't matter (they have absolutely no reason to lie about that).

tough school but only for particular programs (some of my degrees are from there).

It also has a rep as a more technical school - so you may not see as many people interested in medicine even going to that school comparatively.

Finally they is the issue where there may be self selection - smarter people initially may want to go to particular schools (the whole prestige thing again) and in the end that may produce some schools with higher numbers proprotionally going to medicals school. That has nothing directly to do with the school's though ability to get you in :)

This is what I was trying to say ^^

From the above stats, it seems that York Students are less successful in gaining admission at UofT. Do any of you suspect a bias against York students?

I think not because from the handful of york kids I know that got into med school, most were kinesiology students. York's life sciency degrees in terms of difficulty are biomed>biology>kinesiology=psychology and very few people from the first 2 get in, which makes me think the applicant's GPA is assessed independently of the person's degree. I would find it surprising for UofT to nit pick universities but not degrees within each university, especially york which UofT probably has close ties to.

Anecdotes and speculation ftw!

Keep in mind that UofT is the only(?) school that takes into account the "difficulty" of your undergrad degree. No one really knows what they mean by that but they may very well favour some universities' students over others.

At Mac, I believe I've heard that most of our students came from Mac's Health Sci followed by Western's BioMed with all other schools somewhere below that. 

Where is this stated? Except for schools in Quebec (I know of McGill) I was under the impression no schools care WHAT degree or WHAT school you came from.

Archived