Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites Are Soon!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being frustrated at not receiving an interview is no excuse for displaying a poor attitude by discounting the admission process (highly competitive) as a "waste of money". There are MANY successful medical students and physicians who applied many times. It is important to remember that the competition changes each year depending on the applicant pool. The same application that received a interview last year may not be considered competitive this year. If medicine is your passion and dream, just keep trying. Improve yourself. Don't put life on hold, but don't give up either. I empathize with all of those who did not receive an invite this year, I've been there twice before. Keep your head up and just try again. Just realize that a shitty attitude won't get you anywhere. Not to mention it doesn't scream professional.

Very well said. I went from no interview to interview+WL to accepted. Chin up folks, just have to be persistent. 

What a waste of fucking money.

I know the frustration that fuels that feeling, but you shouldn't think of it that way. If I thought about it that way, I've probably "wasted" a good deal more than a thousand dollars in my three cycles, and that's not true.  I applied to several schools each year and was only ever going to attend one, so technically speaking all the apps each year but one was a "waste," and if I'd thought like that, I'd have never applied to MUN as an OOP with so little a chance of getting in.  At the end of the day, that money is an investment into your future that will pay off when you get accepted somewhere, and until then, rejection sucks, but don't let it sour you.  Not to quote from Batman here, because I am serious, but it really is true: med school isn't full of people who got knocked down and stayed down, it's full of people who got knocked down and then got back up, and tried again.  

I know the frustration that fuels that feeling, but you shouldn't think of it that way. If I thought about it that way, I've probably "wasted" a good deal more than a thousand dollars in my three cycles, and that's not true.  I applied to several schools each year and was only ever going to attend one, so technically speaking all the apps each year but one was a "waste," and if I'd thought like that, I'd have never applied to MUN as an OOP with so little a chance of getting in.  At the end of the day, that money is an investment into your future that will pay off when you get accepted somewhere, and until then, rejection sucks, but don't let it sour you.  Not to quote from Batman here, because I am serious, but it really is true: med school isn't full of people who got knocked down and stayed down, it's full of people who got knocked down and then got back up, and tried again.

Heck, I got knocked down 4 times and 5th time was the charm for me. 5 years of applying, 4 interviews, no wait lists, finally in!!

Keep trying and don't give up.

Archived