Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2015

Lol well I found that a lot of the time the interviewers would say that I've already touched on this topic when bringing up a prompt :P I took that as a good sign. 

Except you shouldn't waste your precious 8 mins trying to talk about what you think they're looking for.  Chances are you're completely off base, it's more valuable to just be yourself and roll with the questions! 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except you shouldn't waste your precious 8 mins trying to talk about what you think they're looking for. Chances are you're completely off base, it's more valuable to just be yourself and roll with the questions!

Apparently someone did research on this, and people who think they know what a prompt is getting at are only right 50% of the time, or something close to that.

So yah, I'd agree.

Quick question to past applicants... 

When receiving the final acceptance/waitlist/rejection notice, was the title of the email as candid as the interview notices? For example, this year's email for interviews was literally titled "Invitation to Interview" or something like that, and I'm just wondering if a similarly candid title would be present for the final admittance results or if I have to actually open the email to find out. 

Nope, you definitely had to open the email last year it was titled something like "McMaster MD Application Results"

Also, if anyone wants a tour of NRC, please, please contact someone to arrange it. PM me here or use the e-mail they gave you on interview day. All of us absolutely love it here and would be more than glad to show you around.

Everyone seems to feel so confident about their performance! I feel like I just blurted answers out, I was under too much pressure to think clearly and I talked really fast. I also slept probably 2 hours the night before and had a throbbing headache which didn't help lmao

Anyone else wallowing up in here? :'))

Everyone seems to feel so confident about their performance! I feel like I just blurted answers out, I was under too much pressure to think clearly and I talked really fast. I also slept probably 2 hours the night before and had a throbbing headache which didn't help lmao

I caught myself talking too quickly at some points too. And I got cutoff by the buzzer at three different stations- which was annoying because I didn't get to fully explore the points I was making. 

But, I felt really good about the rest of the MMI so who knows how it will balance out - might surprise myself. 

I caught myself talking too quickly at some points too. And I got cutoff by the buzzer at three different stations- which was annoying because I didn't get to fully explore the points I was making. One of my assessors was also legit staring at me blankly the entire time which distracted me more than it should have.

But, I felt really good about the rest of the MMI so who knows how it will balance out - might surprise myself.

Haha one of my interviewers was giving me stank eye the whole time, I wasn't even mad I was impressed it takes a lot of dedication to do that

Now that I'm more than 24h out from it, I am reviewing everything I said and did and finding the tiniest details to obsess over - not just from the MMI but outside of it (I have an incredible ability to make myself seem like an idiot by times.) Give me another day or two, and my own assessment of how well I did will be completely different than it is now or was yesterday. Nothing any of us thinks matters, though. Our chances of admission are now completely set so all we can do is wait and hope our assessors marked us well.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I have a question about the photo we have to bring. It says passport sized but does it also have to be passport specifications (no smiling, white background, etc) or is just any small photo ok? I'm assuming they are just for the admissions committee to remember everyone/security purposes but I'm nervous I'll show up with the wrong thing. Do you think it's ok to come with a wallet sized school photo (or photo cropped to passport size) or should I go somewhere before the weekend and get new ones taken? Thanks!

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I have a question about the photo we have to bring. It says passport sized but does it also have to be passport specifications (no smiling, white background, etc) or is just any small photo ok? I'm assuming they are just for the admissions committee to remember everyone/security purposes but I'm nervous I'll show up with the wrong thing. Do you think it's ok to come with a wallet sized school photo (or photo cropped to passport size) or should I go somewhere before the weekend and get new ones taken? Thanks!

You can smile... don't worry.  As long as the resolution is fine, you are good.  The exact sizing isn't a big deal as long as it's small and somewhat close to what they asked for.  (Don't bring a 4x6)

Now that I'm more than 24h out from it, I am reviewing everything I said and did and finding the tiniest details to obsess over - not just from the MMI but outside of it (I have an incredible ability to make myself seem like an idiot by times.) Give me another day or two, and my own assessment of how well I did will be completely different than it is now or was yesterday. Nothing any of us thinks matters, though. Our chances of admission are now completely set so all we can do is wait and hope our assessors marked us well.

Oh yeah this brooding game does weird things to you, it's 2 days later I'm starting to think I didn't do so bad haha. Seriously though out of all the people on this forum you're the one I have the most faith in, I'm sure you killed it!!

I think I answered to the best of my ability but definitely over-thinking possibilities now. Such as the assessor that told me I did really well - did they mean it, or do they say that to everyone?!

Nobody said that to me, a couple people said "good luck" when the station was finished but other than that they weren't too interactive 

I had no idea what to say for some questions nor what they were trying to get at, so I just had to go with the first things that came to my mind .. And I'm pretty sure I rambled in some stations due to nerves or lack of ideas :P

make sure it's on glossy photo paper.

just use paint or Preview to stitch 4 pics into a 4x6 jpg and print it at costco,shoppers etc. and cut it out. shouldn't cost more than 50c.

Oh yeah this brooding game does weird things to you, it's 2 days later I'm starting to think I didn't do so bad haha. Seriously though out of all the people on this forum you're the one I have the most faith in, I'm sure you killed it!!

Hah, thanks. I'm sure you did fantastic as well.

Seven weeks until we know!

Me, that is how I felt. Just waiting for the "Unfortunately, due to the extreme amount of competition for this year's class..." letter. 

Me, that is how I felt. Just waiting for the "Unfortunately, due to the extreme amount of competition for this year's class..." letter. 

I found this: http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst13046_Ask-me-anything-about-applying-and-getting-into-Medical-School.aspx

Here's how he felt about his interview: http://www.medhopeful.com/archive/post-mcmaster-interview-thoughts/

He got in! 

There's hope still :))

Archived