Premed 101 Forums

Post Call Day

Done both, though I've never found a call room bed that gave me a relaxing and refreshing sleep. 

Can't remember the last time I slept in house post call, probably not since R1.   Of course, most of the time I have luxury of being able to walk home after being awake all night.

One of the hidden curriculum things you will learn as a clerk is how to not be frighteningly dangerous when you're sleep deprived.

If I take a post call day, I go home and sleep. My partner will pick me up if I'm not safe to drive. However, most of the time since I can usually get 3-4 hour of sleep even if it's fairly busy, I just don't take a post call day. If I'm running on 2 or less, I usually try to get out of there in the late morning once I know my team is running ok for the day.

My drive is about 15 min.

My drive's about 5-10 minutes and with few exceptions I always go home right away. Sometimes I putter around in the morning, and usually eat something before I go to nap/sleep. On night float I tend to make more of a point of sleeping right away (apart from nights where I might get a decent amount of sleep). 

If I'm doing a senior float shift, I don't have to go to handover, so I might sleep in a while longer in the call room. And I say without hyperbole that my bed is a million times better than the call room bed. 

Meh, I function without major issues on limited sleep. I have never slept in house post-call, not even as a med student. When I hand over I always go home. 

The real trick is making the most of a post-call day. I find that if I sleep past 3PM postcall the day and the next is messed up. In these cases it is hard to go to sleep and it's easy to start cycling through the time zones. Suboptimal. 

• 1 month later...

I always drive home immediately.  The "youre not safe to drive" argument actually really irritates me since I have been "awake enough" to take care of ill people all night. 

still here horror stories about that - I have had friends that feel asleep post call when driving.

with patients there is a bit of adrenaline going I guess. When you are just driving around your reflexes can be crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving post-call is dangerous. Only get behind the wheel if you know you'll be alert.

Sometimes when it's been a bad call, I'll take a quick nap along with caffeine to make sure I can drive home safely. Other times, I'll arrange a different mode of transportation depending on which hospital I'm at. 

My routine usually is try to get stuff done before noon - ie. banking, shopping, appointments. Eat lunch and then crash until dinner time.

I always drive home immediately.  The "youre not safe to drive" argument actually really irritates me since I have been "awake enough" to take care of ill people all night. 

The less time I spend in the hospital, the better. If I can't drive I'll take a cab home and come back later by public transit to get my car.

Archived