Premed 101 Forums

Medical Resident Salary - Quebec

The FMRQ publishes their salary scale at http://www.fmrq.qc.ca/en/working-conditions/salary-scales, so I understand that resident salaries currently range from $44,552 for an R1 to $72,841 for an R8, for those who actually hit R8.

I'm looking for some information about what a medical resident in Quebec can realistically expect to earn in the real world.

1) Call and teaching premiums ($565 and $223): I assume that these amounts are monthly (?) -- How often would your average resident qualify for these? If you got it every month, it could add $9,456 a year to your salary. Add to that the potential Assistant chief resident and Chief resident responsibility supplements ($396 and $543), which I assume are brief stints at the end of training, and it could make a big difference.

2) Fees: Are there any major expenses associated with training (tuition?) that a resident can expect to pay?

3) Tax: Aside from any leftover tuition tax credits from medical school that are carried forward, are there any major deductions for being a medical resident, or does a resident pay similar amounts of income tax to a normal working individual with a similar salary?

4) Government loans: As far as the Quebec Government Aide financière aux études program is concerned, does a resident maintain "full time student" status, or does a new resident have to start paying back their government loans as soon as the grace period is over (or, as most people do, just pay off the government loan with their bank line of credit)?

5) New collective agreement: Does anyone know if a new FMRQ collective agreement with changes to the salary scale is expected any time soon?

6) Any other bonuses or expenses specific to residents that I'm not thinking of?

So, basically, at the end of the day, what can your average Quebec resident (say, R1, or in any other year for that matter) actually expect to clear at the end of the year?

Thanks!

1) I believe the primes are added montlhy to one's salary. Call prime for sure.

2) Tuition at McGill for residents : approx 750$ / year.

4) One does not need to pay back Prêts et Bourses during residency, same for most of the Line of Credit with major Canadian Banks.

5) The salary scale was majored by < 1% this year. A few 100$ increase...

6) You get an allocation for living expenses/Travel when you do a rotation in a "rural" location.

With all the primes, I believe we can hit the 50k$ by R1.

1) I believe the primes are added montlhy to one's salary. Call prime for sure.

2) Tuition at McGill for residents : approx 750$ / year.

4) One does not need to pay back Prêts et Bourses during residency, same for most of the Line of Credit with major Canadian Banks.

5) The salary scale was majored by < 1% this year. A few 100$ increase...

6) You get an allocation for living expenses/Travel when you do a rotation in a "rural" location.

With all the primes, I believe we can hit the 50k$ by R1.

Then I guess it's nice to hear that the salaries are actually a bit higher than they seem at first glance!

As far as taxes are concerned, can anyone comment on deductions for residents? (i.e. if tuition is only $750, I guess there's probably an equivalent tax credit, which won't have much of an effect.) I've heard people say that residents pay very little income tax, but I'm not sure if that's just at the beginning as people use up all the tuition tax credits that they banked in medical school.

Then I guess it's nice to hear that the salaries are actually a bit higher than they seem at first glance!

As far as taxes are concerned, can anyone comment on deductions for residents? (i.e. if tuition is only $750, I guess there's probably an equivalent tax credit, which won't have much of an effect.) I've heard people say that residents pay very little income tax, but I'm not sure if that's just at the beginning as people use up all the tuition tax credits that they banked in medical school.

So I got my "pay check" orientation yesterday.

R1s make approximately 25-28$/hour with a 35h / week. 

We get the call+teaching prime every period even if not on call or not teaching. (

For any stat day worked, we can get paid at double rate or get an additional vacation day.

We get many deductions for insurance (dental, life, medical...) with the FMRQ. You can opt-out if you have insurance with another party (spouse/parents...)

I calculated an approximate salary of 51k$ for R1.

Thanks, samy! From my understanding, that's pretty close to what they make in Ontario (but I guess Ontario also has call stipends, etc., to bring it up even higher)

Thanks, samy! From my understanding, that's pretty close to what they make in Ontario (but I guess Ontario also has call stipends, etc., to bring it up even higher)

that would add a bit - I am guessing here but 4-5K. Varies by specialty of course.

Sorry for my stupid question Samy, are we still insured with RAMQ when we enter residency (the public insurance for people who are not affiliated with companies or private insurances)? Or the Quebec medical residents all have to buy the medical, dental and life insurances with FMRQ?

I am so used to RAMQ's insurances, it covers basically the doctors consultations and the hospitalizations. I don't have a dental plan as for now, but if the FMRQ's insurances are mandatory. It would be nice to have a dental checkup :)

So I got my "pay check" orientation yesterday.

R1s make approximately 25-28$/hour with a 35h / week. 

We get the call+teaching prime every period even if not on call or not teaching. (

For any stat day worked, we can get paid at double rate or get an additional vacation day.

We get many deductions for insurance (dental, life, medical...) with the FMRQ. You can opt-out if you have insurance with another party (spouse/parents...)

You don't need to speak French to work as a resident at McGill. I happen to know some physicians in Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Internal Medicine who only speak English (although they have quite a few years in practice). 

Yes, some of the patients will be speaking French only. If the English-speaking resident doesn't feel comfortable interviewing the patients, there will always be nurses or other residents who could translate or help. If you could speak some basics French and you demonstrate your motivation to learn French, there is no limits of doing residency at McGill. 

Do you need to speak French to work as a resident at McGill? My guess is some of the patients will be speaking French only? Or are McGill hospitals entirely English only hospitals? 

I skipped your last question, sorry. All the McGill hospitals' staff speak English. The hospital signs and documents are bilingual. Hope that it helps :)

Do you need to speak French to work as a resident at McGill? My guess is some of the patients will be speaking French only? Or are McGill hospitals entirely English only hospitals? 

Sorry for my stupid question Samy, are we still insured with RAMQ when we enter residency (the public insurance for people who are not affiliated with companies or private insurances)? Or the Quebec medical residents all have to buy the medical, dental and life insurances with FMRQ?

I am so used to RAMQ's insurances, it covers basically the doctors consultations and the hospitalizations. I don't have a dental plan as for now, but if the FMRQ's insurances are mandatory. It would be nice to have a dental checkup :)

You still get RAMQ coverage for all essential medical cares as a citizen of Québec. The added insurance by FMRQ covers the other "stuff" (Physio for example). You can opt out of the FMRQ insurance if you are being insured by your parents/spouse.

Thank you for the information Samy  :)  I will be happy to have the FMRQ's insurance for physio and dentistry. 

For now, I am just glad to have the basic RAMQ medical cares, I love the public health care system in Canada. Although not perfect, it makes poor students like me to have access to the essential medical care. 

You still get RAMQ coverage for all essential medical cares as a citizen of Québec. The added insurance by FMRQ covers the other "stuff" (Physio for example). You can opt out of the FMRQ insurance if you are being insured by your parents/spouse.

• 7 months later...

I would say that being comfortable in French at McGill is super important. Many residents don't speak english but the vast majority of those are IMGs from Gulf Countries who have a financial arrangement with McGill. Yes a few staff don't speak french but a large majority speak both english and french. I would strongly urge anyone who is not comfortable in French to make a major effort to learn french here because there really are many patients who don't speak english and you would limit your ability to offer the care those patients deserve.  I am an Anglophone by the way. 

I would say that being comfortable in French at McGill is super important. Many residents don't speak english but the vast majority of those are IMGs from Gulf Countries who have a financial arrangement with McGill. Yes a few staff don't speak french but a large majority speak both english and french. I would strongly urge anyone who is not comfortable in French to make a major effort to learn french here because there really are many patients who don't speak english and you would limit your ability to offer the care those patients deserve.  I am an Anglophone by the way. 

Are you an anglophone resident at McGill, or a medical student? How have you managed? 

But all the teaching is in English - right?

• 1 year later...

Hey! Reviving an old thread.

Does anyone know if these figures (http://www.fmrq.qc.ca/en/working-conditions/salary-scales) are still accurate, or if they're indexed annually or something?

I also haven't heard any discussions about a new collective agreement, since the old one expired in March 2016.

Would love to have any insight you guys might have!

The FMRQ publishes their salary scale at http://www.fmrq.qc.ca/en/working-conditions/salary-scales, so I understand that resident salaries currently range from $44,552 for an R1 to $72,841 for an R8, for those who actually hit R8.

I'm looking for some information about what a medical resident in Quebec can realistically expect to earn in the real world.

1) Call and teaching premiums ($565 and $223): I assume that these amounts are monthly (?) -- How often would your average resident qualify for these? If you got it every month, it could add $9,456 a year to your salary. Add to that the potential Assistant chief resident and Chief resident responsibility supplements ($396 and $543), which I assume are brief stints at the end of training, and it could make a big difference.

2) Fees: Are there any major expenses associated with training (tuition?) that a resident can expect to pay?

3) Tax: Aside from any leftover tuition tax credits from medical school that are carried forward, are there any major deductions for being a medical resident, or does a resident pay similar amounts of income tax to a normal working individual with a similar salary?

4) Government loans: As far as the Quebec Government Aide financière aux études program is concerned, does a resident maintain "full time student" status, or does a new resident have to start paying back their government loans as soon as the grace period is over (or, as most people do, just pay off the government loan with their bank line of credit)?

5) New collective agreement: Does anyone know if a new FMRQ collective agreement with changes to the salary scale is expected any time soon?

6) Any other bonuses or expenses specific to residents that I'm not thinking of?

So, basically, at the end of the day, what can your average Quebec resident (say, R1, or in any other year for that matter) actually expect to clear at the end of the year?

Thanks!

Hey that's still the current salary of Quebec Residents. The Quebec government is cutting down a lot of expenses in health care, I doubt that the residents' salaries will increase. There is already a cap for physician salaries (i.e: no more increases).

Although living in Quebec is VERY CHEAP. You could get a nice 2 1/2 (1 bedroom+ den+ kitchen) for around 800 in nice chic neighbourhoods in Montreal. The car insurance is around 90$ for a newbie like me with no prior driving experience. Even the cellphone plans with the same company are cheaper (I don't even understand why), Internet combo services, etc. 

The cost of living in Quebec is very low compared to Ontario per say, I am pretty sure that you can live comfortably with 44 552$ as a R1. 

The downside is that you are not paid per call, but it's 16 hours in Quebec (except for surgery residents lol) You do get bonuses, and free meals and parking for your call!

Hey! Reviving an old thread.

Does anyone know if these figures (http://www.fmrq.qc.ca/en/working-conditions/salary-scales) are still accurate, or if they're indexed annually or something?

I also haven't heard any discussions about a new collective agreement, since the old one expired in March 2016.

Would love to have any insight you guys might have!

At the moment in Quebec, gross salary for R1 including premium, bonuses, etc is 55000$ for everyone.

Net salary is 700$/wk (R1).

You don't have to pay Quebec Government loans before the end of residency. 6 months after the end actually.

Archived