Premed 101 Forums

Specific Question Re: The Uofc Application (See Image)

Hi, I'm just working on my U of C application, was wondering what you guys thought of/how you tacked this section:

"Please outline your alternate plans if you are not admitted to a medical program this year: (255 characters)"

(wasn't expected to be asked something like that). Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! :) 

post-43497-0-72246600-1441515887_thumb.png

Hi, I'm just working on my U of C application, was wondering what you guys thought of/how you tacked this section:

"Please outline your alternate plans if you are not admitted to a medical program this year: (255 characters)"

(wasn't expected to be asked something like that). Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 11.01.22 PM.png

Don't think it's a trick. Just write what you plan on doing. Finish undergrad, masters, work, whatever. And say that you'll re-apply. Don't think they're looking for a detailed plan.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-05 at 11.01.22 PM.png

Don't think it's a trick. Just write what you plan on doing. Finish undergrad, masters, work, whatever. And say that you'll re-apply. Don't think they're looking for a detailed plan.

Exactly this

It's meant to get you to think (if you haven't already) of a realistic plan B. Most people try again while some don't. Everyone however should have some idea of what they'd do assuming the worst.

- G

Exactly this

It's meant to get you to think (if you haven't already) of a realistic plan B. Most people try again while some don't. Everyone however should have some idea of what they'd do assuming the worst.

- G

Yup. I'd add that I'm not sure I'd write that I wouldn't be applying again, even if it were true.

I doubt that there would be a wrong answer; A friend of mine (albeit, at her McMaster interview) was asked the same thing and she said she wanted to breed Japanese coy fish :P

Yes, she was accepted haha!

Ok I gotta say that's sick as f@#$ =D

I'm adding that to what I'd try when I retire.

- G

I'm not sure it's such an inappropriate thing to say if you also provide context. For example, "I have applied in three previous cycles and remain passionate about medicine. However, I must practically evaluate my future direction. If I'm unsuccessful this cycle I intend to pursue such-and-such to continue my personal growth." Yada yada. I don't think there's any harm in being honest if it's thoughtful. I definitely think that amichel is making a good point--don't be flippant.

I'm not sure it's such an inappropriate thing to say if you also provide context. For example, "I have applied in three previous cycles and remain passionate about medicine. However, I must practically evaluate my future direction. If I'm unsuccessful this cycle I intend to pursue such-and-such to continue my personal growth." Yada yada. I don't think there's any harm in being honest if it's thoughtful. I definitely think that amichel is making a good point--don't be flippant.

I just don't think there's any need to be that honest here. What if your particular file reviewer reads that and thinks "they're don't really want this" and is therefore biased towards the application. It's just one of those situations where less is more.

I've been thinking about this. Thanks all for responding!

1) I think I'm writing about expanding upon existing volunteer/leadership activities (and will list 2 or 3 of them).

What do you think about this?

2) And secondly, I have a few characters left - I'm not sure if I should mention that I would, in such a case (as outlined by their question), definitely re-apply?

Archived