Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry Program In Canada Worth It Anymore?

I shall take the opposite stand, as i believe that a saturated level of dentist is eventually beneficial for those with the business skill to start-up corporate dentistry (ie. franchise, chain-dental clinic...etc), since solo practitioner will gradually loose out in the tough competition. A corporation, with strong balance sheet and power-of-the-mass, will have the advantage of supply vs demand (easy time to hire new employee/dentist) while maintain a strong competitive edge :)

Btw, i love evolution biology "its not the strongest, nor the fastest, species that win. It's the one that best adapt to the environment"

Cheer!

Dude, this isn't DentalTown.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in agreement with CEO dentist. Dentistry is still a fabulous field to go into. Yes, the large majority of dentists will be much poorer in the future, but the small minority might still be rich. Just make certain that you are within that small minority. Be sure to be in the right place at the right time and don't make any business mistakes, and there's a small chance that you too will do well! It's a great time to be a dentist!

I shall take the opposite stand, as i believe that a saturated level of dentist is eventually beneficial for those with the business skill to start-up corporate dentistry (ie. franchise, chain-dental clinic...etc), since solo practitioner will gradually loose out in the tough competition. A corporation, with strong balance sheet and power-of-the-mass, will have the advantage of supply vs demand (easy time to hire new employee/dentist) while maintain a strong competitive edge :)

Btw, i love evolution biology "its not the strongest, nor the fastest, species that win. It's the one that best adapt to the environment"

Cheer!

I would strongly disagree.

I happen to be old enough to remember Tridont, a corporation that had some 92 practices...looked great on the surface but, they went bankrupt.

I believe that the current influx of corporations into dentistry are short term plays...my feeling is that companies like DentalCorp will sell in the near future and then what??

Remember that this is just my opinion but to me, this is the only avenue that makes sense.

I happen to be old enough to remember Tridont, a corporation that had some 92 practices...looked great on the surface but, they went bankrupt.

I believe that the current influx of corporations into dentistry are short term plays...my feeling is that companies like DentalCorp will sell in the near future and then what??

Remember that this is just my opinion but to me, this is the only avenue that makes sense.

Wouldn't make much sense, considering what's going on down south.

Can't extrapolate like that, too many different variables between Canada and U.S.

You'll realize this when you begin taking continuing education courses

Totally agree! Many differences

Though I feel like slowly but surely those differences are becoming smaller and smaller

I tend to disagree

I think DentalCorp will stay, and they own more than 140+ practices in Canada.   They are actually run quite efficiently. 

Their ROI per year per practice is about 10 - 15%.  Yes, they will sell some, but those which are not profitable.  They are so big that they neogotiate ridiculous discounts from suppliers which most single practice cannot compare.

that is just my opinion.

I tend to disagree

I think DentalCorp will stay, and they own more than 140+ practices in Canada. They are actually run quite efficiently.

Their ROI per year per practice is about 10 - 15%. Yes, they will sell some, but those which are not profitable. They are so big that they neogotiate ridiculous discounts from suppliers which most single practice cannot compare.

that is just my opinion.

That's what the story used to be with Tridont.

I'm of the opinion that the game changer for DentalCorp will come when the working contracts with the vendor dentists begin to expire.

I tend to disagree

I think DentalCorp will stay, and they own more than 140+ practices in Canada. They are actually run quite efficiently.

Their ROI per year per practice is about 10 - 15%. Yes, they will sell some, but those which are not profitable. They are so big that they neogotiate ridiculous discounts from suppliers which most single practice cannot compare.

that is just my opinion.

That's what the story used to be with Tridont.

I'm of the opinion that the game changer for DentalCorp will come when the working contracts with the vendor dentists begin to expire.

The majority of the cost is the manpower. Unless dentist, hygienist accept low percentage or cheap salary, large dental corp does not have advantage over single practice. another possibility is dental corp can can rent a good business spot , while single practice can not afford it. 

I tend to disagree

I think DentalCorp will stay, and they own more than 140+ practices in Canada.   They are actually run quite efficiently. 

Their ROI per year per practice is about 10 - 15%.  Yes, they will sell some, but those which are not profitable.  They are so big that they neogotiate ridiculous discounts from suppliers which most single practice cannot compare.

that is just my opinion.

I think there are three major factors that will shape the future of dentistry in Canada:

1. The rapid growth of corporate dentistry

2. The growing oversupply of dentists due to increasing number of foreign trained dentists in Canada (there is a separate thread on this topic)

3. The tanking economy

All those factors will lead to a noticeable decrease in the income of dentists especially associates.

Corporate dentistry should be regulated and the number of foreign dentists should be capped.

DMD 2012

The majority of the cost is the manpower. Unless dentist, hygienist accept low percentage or cheap salary, large dental corp does not have advantage over single practice. another possibility is dental corp can can rent a good business spot , while single practice can not afford it. 

Yes. I agree salary takes up majority of the overhead costs. And big corp has multiple levels of management which tends to drive up overhead.  The associate fee, hygienist hourly rate and dental assistant won't differ much from one practice to another.

However, large corp can neogotiate better merchant discount on POS because of bigger volume of sales, as well there is a significant mark up on sundries / supplies, telephone system etc, which they can get greater discount. 

I don't like corporate dentistry don't get me wrong. but i think DentalCorp is here to stay, you have other like Altima which branched out to do medical and insurance as well.

Yes. I agree salary takes up majority of the overhead costs. And big corp has multiple levels of management which tends to drive up overhead.  The associate fee, hygienist hourly rate and dental assistant won't differ much from one practice to another.

However, large corp can neogotiate better merchant discount on POS because of bigger volume of sales, as well there is a significant mark up on sundries / supplies, telephone system etc, which they can get greater discount. 

I don't like corporate dentistry don't get me wrong. but i think DentalCorp is here to stay, you have other like Altima which branched out to do medical and insurance as well.

Corporations only care about profit margins and human resources is the highest cost in running a business. This means that with the increasing number of new dentists entering the market (foreign trained and grads of Australian, NZ, and Irish schools), the dentists and hygienist will have no choice but to accept lower pay.

This is already happening in the US, where some associates get as little as 10-20%. This means that you will be going home with a sore back and less pay than the old days .

We don't have to accept this. Dentistry is a demanding career financially, mentally, and physically. Dentists deserve to be well-compensated for their commitment and hard work.

DMD 2012

Corporations only care about profit margins and human resources is the highest cost in running a business. This means that with the increasing number of new dentists entering the market (foreign trained and grads of Australian, NZ, and Irish schools), the dentists and hygienist will have no choice but to accept lower pay.

This is already happening in the US, where some associates get as little as 10-20%. This means that you will be going home with a sore back and less pay than the old days .

We don't have to accept this. Dentistry is a demanding career financially, mentally, and physically. Dentists deserve to be well-compensated for their commitment and hard work.

DMD 2012

If you don't want to accept this, propose a way to change the trend? I feel like it's more of something inevitable..

If you don't want to accept this, propose a way to change the trend? I feel like it's more of something inevitable..

There are many things you can do:

If you're a student speak with the faculty staff and alumni. If you're a dentist talk to your association and member of parliament.

I have talked to my MP and will follow up with him. I also created a blog. 

www.dentistryincanada.org

Feel free to view, share and comment!

DMD 2012

There are many things you can do:

If you're a student speak with the faculty staff and alumni. If you're a dentist talk to your association and member of parliament.

I have talked to my MP and will follow up with him. I also created a blog. 

www.dentistryincanada.org

Feel free to view, share and comment!

DMD 2012

Hope you're right. Let us know how speaking with your MP went?

Dentistry is still a great career. Think of it like this, the population in the GTA has been going up and will keep going up. There are more than enough patients for everyone. Sure, its tough to find a job as a recent grad and a challenge to get established, but if you're willing to be flexible with your hours and your work location, you may still have to work at 4-5 offices (if you're working in major cities) but you can still make a pretty good living. You need to embrace this competition rather than be afraid of it. That's how I've always looked at life, and will continue to.

I'm just gonna put my 2 cents in here

IF dentistry isn't worth it anymore, then there shouldn't be many applicants this year to the Canadian schools right?

we'll see about that......

To be honest, I believe the # of applicants has more to do with the public perception of 'the rich dentist' than it does with the facts

also just my 2 cents :)

To be honest, I believe the # of applicants has more to do with the public perception of 'the rich dentist' than it does with the facts

also just my 2 cents :)

few truly consider all aspects of the more involved professional fields before they get into them - how can you really? Things are fluid, information is somewhat hard to get, and exposure to things limited :)

few truly consider all aspects of the more involved professional fields before they get into them - how can you really? Things are fluid, information is somewhat hard to get, and exposure to things limited :)

I agree re lack of information... for all the fees paid by members, the Ontario and Canadian Dental Associations do not provide the data that is due even current dentists. A friend who is already through dental school tried to do analysis before making location decision upon graduation. In pursuing all the data from both organizations - he couldn't piece together real saturation numbers for towns from the data provided. In the U.S.  this data readily exists. For the fees collected I would think this would be key information that both organizations owe their members to facilitate better decision making!!

Archived