Premed 101 Forums

-

Interviews are hard to gauge! Sometimes you do better or worse than you think. If you thought the interview was hard, odds are other people did too!

Obviously, there are exceptions. If you actually feel like you lacked content, were awkward, said something red flag and weren't fluid with your speaking, I think being realistic is important.

I had convinced myself I wouldn't get in and was preparing for bad news and was kind of peeking through my fingers any time I got a new email. When I got the acceptance email, I ran to my coworker's desk across the aisle - forgetting in my excitement that I'd recently sprained my ankle - and promptly smashed into the wall because my injured ankle gave up. I yelled "I got into medical school!" and some of my coworkers - who had been super supportive - cheered for me. I called my husband at work and we celebrated, then we took the kids out to supper that day.

It was a very good day.

My feelings about my interviews were not predictive of what happened. If you can get to the interview stage, you've got a fair shot of getting in. Around half at most schools. I know several people who thought they absolutely screwed up who are now in medicine and I've known people who thought they did very well who received no offers.

I felt confident in myself after my interview. Obviously I never expected to get in, but when I got the good news it was more relief than surprised. 

However, when I got the email with the interview invite. That was an utter shock.

Medical Students/Residents...did you expect to get in after your interview? What was your reaction to the acceptance email? I only interviewed at one place, and feel bad of my performance although I really really want to get in I feel like I will literally have a heart attack of joy if I get in...did you think you weren't going to get in because you felt bad over your interview but somehow got in...and what was your reaction? Don't know how to wait out these next 8 weeks....

For me it was a complex emotional event. I mean relief, excitement, fear (things just got real!)....

It was also in some ways a bit sad as well as it meant that I was leaving my career as a computer programmer and there was emotions tied up with that. 

While I do think you cannot really predict performance post interview for me the I did get into to the places that I felt the best about the interview. 

The wait sucks - for me strangely days went slowly but weeks past quickly. It was odd. 

I lived both sides.

First year I applied, I didn't get in. My performance at the interviews/MMI was not very good. It wasn't much a surprise when I learned it.

The second year was very different, I felt my interviews couldn't be better and I just knew I would be accepted. So, again, not so much of surprise but I felt a bit relieved.

However, it was a whole different story when I learned in which speciality I matched. HOLY SH** I was SURPRISED! I was so happy, I couldn't believe it and re-checked several times if I read right. I had a great interview, but I was realist, the odd of matching in my top choice were less than 5%.

Medical Students/Residents...did you expect to get in after your interview? What was your reaction to the acceptance email? I only interviewed at one place, and feel bad of my performance although I really really want to get in I feel like I will literally have a heart attack of joy if I get in...did you think you weren't going to get in because you felt bad over your interview but somehow got in...and what was your reaction? Don't know how to wait out these next 8 weeks....

Only thing I was sure about was that I did much better the 2nd time around.... I don't think anyone really knows if they can get in off their interview performance. 

- G 

I had my first interview yesterday and this has been my reaction since then:

When-You-Wake-Up-Early-In-The-Morning-an

Honestly my mind is just stuck on this roller coaster ride of "I did great, wouldn't change my answers" to "oh god why did I say that". It's not really helpful when people tell me to not think about it either, i.e. "There's nothing you can do now so stop worrying". I KNOW THAT! I know what I need to do, I just don't know HOW to do it. I know they're just trying to be helpful, but my problem is that I can't stop or control myself from having these thoughts. 

I had my first interview yesterday and this has been my reaction since then:

When-You-Wake-Up-Early-In-The-Morning-an

Honestly my mind is just stuck on this roller coaster ride of "I did great, wouldn't change my answers" to "oh god why did I say that". It's not really helpful when people tell me to not think about it either, i.e. "There's nothing you can do now so stop worrying". I KNOW THAT! I know what I need to do, I just don't know HOW to do it. I know they're just trying to be helpful, but my problem is that I can't stop or control myself from having these thoughts. 

which is why I try to refrain from saying stopping worrying about it etc :) Let's face it - one of the reasons people get interview, ie are successful at meeting all the hard to obtain and obscure criteria, is often exactly because there is a level of constant rumination about things. Check things. Check them again. Constantly effort towards the goal...........

Now there is nothing to do but wait, but it isn't exactly easy to shut off all that "premed machinery". Ha, even after people get in it is still there zipping around in the background. You will see it again in May - worrying about the deposit, verifying the deposit, tracking the deposit, how can I confirm I accepted, how can I confirm it again...............(must. check. everything.)

Not logical but there you go. 

What I should say I guess is let's be realistic - you are not going to stop going over this. Still you know that you may not match - which means THIS year's grades are important. Don't drop the ball here and let your GPA slide. If you do that you could be putting in jeopardy your chances to ultimately get into medical school. You have to protect yourself.  

I thought I had a pretty good idea of which interview went well and which didn't, but I still wasn't really expecting to get in. As someone said before me, it comes out as more of a relief than anything. I was in the position of 4th year UG and had a few friends applying with me, so I was very nervous about being the only one not to get in. 

Archived