Premed 101 Forums

4 minutes ago, EngToPT said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dalhousie, McGill, U of T, McMaster, Western (All PT)
Accepted: McGill, U of T, Western
Waitlisted: Dalhousie
Rejected: McMaster
GPA:  Ontario: sGPA: 3.86 cGPA: 3.87 McGill: 3.99
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I did a Master's degree, so for U of T and McMaster my sGPA and cGPA are higher than what ORPAS calculated.  Essays: Good, gave me a chance to demonstrate the similarities between Engineering and PT. References: from my Master's supervisor and volunteering supervisor. Volunteering: Limited PT experience at time of application, but lots of experience leading programs for children and was president of a departmental student society. Research experience in a rehab-related field. Interviews: Good overall, felt better about CASPer and U of T than Dal and McMaster

Are you an Atlantic resident?

46 minutes ago, NorthernO said:

Applied: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens, UofA, Dal - All PT

Accepted: Western, U of T

Waitlisted: Queens #25

Rejected: McMaster, Dal

GPA: cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.82

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Reference from professor I was a TA exercise physiology for, and one from professor I helped volunteer with her Phd work with individuals with cancer and exercise. Undergrad thesis researching cancer patients exercise levels after a group based exercise program, 2 years of working as a teaching assistant for undergraduate anatomy courses, one semester volunteering as a TA for exercise phys, 180 hours volunteering with cancer patients, 60+ hours working with MS, Stroke, Parkinsons individuals, patient porter @ hospital for rehab program, standardized patient at medical school, volunteer notetaker, on student council group for kine program (helped w orientation etc), volunteered at medical school health science camp as leader, and competitive cheerleading coach.

Got off waitlist for interview at U of A, but the second day was full of interviews, and first day was same as Toronto CAP so I had to forfeit my spot. 

I'm off to Western as it was my first choice!!! I'll be declining U of T and Queens waitlist for those of you waiting keep hope!!

Congrats!! I got my Western PT acceptance as well! Just curious if ORPAS has updated for you yet? Mine is still blank..

9 minutes ago, maryammmpt said:

Congrats!! I got my Western PT acceptance as well! Just curious if ORPAS has updated for you yet? Mine is still blank..

No it hasn't, just on student centre. I assume its to do with the school not putting them on ORPAS yet, I'm sure they will soon! I submitted my transcript request in the mean time.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:35 PM, PTDani said:

Thought I would add my stats in here for future students

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT @ UBC, UofA, UofToronto, Western, Queens and McMaster
Accepted: UofT and Queens
Waitlisted: Western and UofA
Rejected: UBC, McMaster
GPA: ORPAS CumGPA: 3.6 SubGPA: 3.85
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I think one of my strengths was my references; I looked for variety. I wanted to get someone who could attest how I was scholastically, in hands-on settings (labs) and also in volunteer settings. I think it gave me an edge for receiving interviews as I've heard of people with higher GPAs that didn't receive invites. I think my essays for Western, Queens, UBC were quite well-written. I am a stickler for grammar and punctuation so triple-checked everything. 

Interviews are not my strong point. I did prep with MMI questions using a timer and video so I could watch back and pinpoint anything I could better myself on. I still had major nerves going into all my interviews though so I think next year, if I need to reapply, I would seek interview prep services. 

Updating for future applicants :) Congrats to everyone receiving offers and making waitlists! 

Applied: Queen's, U Of T, Dal

Accepted: U of T 

Waitlisted: Queen's #7

cGPA: 3.63

sGPA: 3.84

I think I have this right.. but If I provisionally accept U of T then I will remain on the waitlist for queen's until provisional acceptances become firm on June 8th? We won't hear anything from the Queen's waitlist until June 2nd but that would still give me a chance between the 2nd and the 8th to hear from Queen's and potentially weigh the two options before the deadline on June 8th correct?

Agree/Disagree? 

16 minutes ago, PTstudent2018 said:

Confused on how I didn't even get waitlisted for Queens.......I am OOP but had a CGPA of 3.85 and a SGPA of 3.90. I met the cut-off requirements, had terrific grades for my pre-reqs, and great volunteer experience. Very sad human right now. Should I contact them?

I can understand. I am on the same boat with Western :/. I would say contact them. If you get a response then you might get an explanation. I say worth contacting them and take your chances.

11 hours ago, OhT said:

Accepted to Western and Mac for OT! The ORPAS page is only showing Mac but my "Western Log In" is saying Admitted too! Anyone else showing like that?

Yup, me too. Western's student centre is updated but not ORPAS

9 hours ago, macsci94 said:

Arggghhhh. Accepted to Mac OT and Western OT, waitlisted at UofT :( I should be thrilled, but I'm feeling really freaking gutted because UofT was my first choice. 

Anyone know anything about waitlist movement in previous years, etc.?

Will be rejecting my offer to UofT OT soon. What is your # on the waitlist? 

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC, Queens, Western, Toronto (All PT)
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: Queens (#2), Western (Middle-Third)
Rejected: Toronto
GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both: UBC Pre-reqs: 3.76/4.33, UL 30-credits: 4.25/4.33 (avrg of both combined was around 4.05-4.10/4.33 - not sure what that converts to in UBC's % scale)                      ORPAS cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.78

- Lots of experience volunteering in multiple hospitals in a high-intensity rehab setting and I also worked as a student trainer for 2 years. Thought all my applications essays were pretty strong and I had good references. UBC MMI: PRACTICE IS KEY, practised a lot before the MMI which allowed me to feel prepared and calm during the process! Felt like I did very good on the majority of my stations and ended up enjoying the process. Congrats to everyone who got in and for those who didn't don't give up!

29 minutes ago, PTBC2018 said:

I am #2 on the Queens PT WL and will be rejecting my offer as I will be attending UBC!

Congrats! Never been to the west coast but heard the school and city are amazing!

49 minutes ago, DukePT said:

Applied: Queen's, U Of T, Dal

Accepted: U of T 

Waitlisted: Queen's #7

cGPA: 3.63

sGPA: 3.84

I think I have this right.. but If I provisionally accept U of T then I will remain on the waitlist for queen's until provisional acceptances become firm on June 8th? We won't hear anything from the Queen's waitlist until June 2nd but that would still give me a chance between the 2nd and the 8th to hear from Queen's and potentially weigh the two options before the deadline on June 8th correct?

Agree/Disagree? 

What’s wrong with U of T? Can’t really beat it (in my opinion)! 

Applied: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens (all OT)
Accepted: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens :)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA:3.96 sGPA: 3.97
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays were OK (I think). 2 references from thesis/summer research supervisor & clinical research supervisor. Lots of experience :D. Currently a clinical research assistant recruiting participants for a study of clinical depression. Volunteering: cardiac rehabilitation exercise assistant, observing PTAs in a long term care home, wellness/relaxation program shadowing for an OT, hydrotherapy pool & exercise volunteer for women with developmental disabilities. Also 3+ years of research in 3 labs in Psychology and 2 summer NSERC research fellowships.

Will probably be going to U of T! :D

5 minutes ago, Rehab4Life said:

What’s wrong with U of T? Can’t really beat it (in my opinion)! 

Oh Nothing wrong at all! I will be very happy to attend! However there are some logistical/financial/personal reasons  that still would make Queen's an option to consider for myself. Does what I said regarding the provisional acceptance make since though? 

Hello everyone, 

I'm sure a lot of you have received news by now about admissions. This was my first time applying and I was unfortunately rejected. I'm feeling a bit down but I wanted to reapply next year. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience applying again and getting accepted? Thank you! 

21 minutes ago, DukePT said:

Oh Nothing wrong at all! I will be very happy to attend! However there are some logistical/financial/personal reasons  that still would make Queen's an option to consider for myself. Does what I said regarding the provisional acceptance make since though? 

I’m not sure to be honest. Was just curious as U of T is one of the best schools in the world.

1 hour ago, c.m. said:

sitting at #47 on the McMaster waitlist... Any idea if this is essentially a rejection? :/

I was in the 40s at Queen’s last year and didn’t make it in. Hopefully you have better luck at Mac!

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queens, Western, UofT, McMaster (all PT)
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted: Western (Lower-Third)
Rejected: Queens, McMaster
GPA:  ORPAS cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.95

Lots of experience volunteering with individuals with Alzheimer's Disease but not PT related, loooooots of research experience (3 publications), board member of a non-profit. Only PT experience I have was for one semester with an individual with a disability so I knew I wasn't going to get Queens or Western. 

I thought my essays were strong for the most part. I'm pretty sure I screwed up the Kira interview for Mac though. I thought the CAP went pretty well; answered pretty well and thorough for each question for the most part. 

I used a professor that I'm verrrry close with who has taught me for two courses and the second reference I used was for the PT volunteering experience I had. I should have used a different professional reference because I didn't know her that well I guess, but it was the only physio experience I had so I felt I had no choice. ANYWAY...

I'm so happy because UofT was my first choice! 

1 hour ago, Miria said:

Applied: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens (all OT)
Accepted: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens :)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA:3.96 sGPA: 3.97
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays were OK (I think). 2 references from thesis/summer research supervisor & clinical research supervisor. Lots of experience :D. Currently a clinical research assistant recruiting participants for a study of clinical depression. Volunteering: cardiac rehabilitation exercise assistant, observing PTAs in a long term care home, wellness/relaxation program shadowing for an OT, hydrotherapy pool & exercise volunteer for women with developmental disabilities. Also 3+ years of research in 3 labs in Psychology and 2 summer NSERC research fellowships.

Will probably be going to U of T! :D

Hey Miria! I will probably be going to UofT for OT as well! Congratulations! :D What campus have you been assigned to?

Applied (PT): UBC, UoA, Western, McMaster, UoT (all PT)
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: UoA (OOP)
GPA:  sGPA 3.84. UBC GPA pre/req + U/L 90%
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Did four years of volunteering as a PT assistant at a hospital in TCU/ECU care during my undergrad and worked as a PT assistant in a private clinic for 3 years. Also volunteered with community sport organizations and participated in research and was involved in extracurricular club/groups on campus during my undergrad. I feel I had strong references from two professors that I knew really well. I felt that my essays were also done pretty well.

Accepted into McMaster PT, waitlisted for Queens PT (#11) and waitlisted for Western PT (middle third) ! Congrats to everyone who got accepted or waitlisted. I also had a back up plan if I didn’t get accepted so if anyone would like some advice on that matter, feel free to message me :) 

Also, does anyone know how fast the Queens waitlist is suppose to move up?