Premed 101 Forums

Hi all,

First time applying to the UBC program, and I did not receive an interview invite because of a mistake on my pre-req submission. GPA+Pre-req average 86% (Pre-req 88%, gpa 84.5%). No suggestions were made on my application, but it would be good to know if it's worth it to defer from a school in UK in order to take a chance next year. 

For those that were accepted, would a a total average around 88% be strong enough for an interview? I was thinking of taking a couple additional courses to boost GPA. 

Thanks,

11 minutes ago, PT2B said:

Hi all,

First time applying to the UBC program, and I did not receive an interview invite because of a mistake on my pre-req submission. GPA+Pre-req average 86% (Pre-req 88%, gpa 84.5%). No suggestions were made on my application, but it would be good to know if it's worth it to defer from a school in UK in order to take a chance next year. 

For those that were accepted, would a a total average around 88% be strong enough for an interview? I was thinking of taking a couple additional courses to boost GPA. 

Thanks,

Same thing happened to my friend last year. He didn’t get the interview twice and had a great gpa. 

Thought I would add my stats in here for future students

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT @ UBC, UofA, UofToronto, Western, Queens and McMaster
Accepted: Interviews at UBC, UofA, UofT and McMaster
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC (still waiting on the others)
GPA: ORPAS CumGPA: 3.6 SubGPA: 3.85
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I think one of my strengths was my references; I looked for variety. I wanted to get someone who could attest how I was scholastically, in hands-on settings (labs) and also in volunteer settings. I think it gave me an edge for receiving interviews as I've heard of people with higher GPAs that didn't receive invites. I think my essays for Western, Queens, UBC were quite well-written. I am a stickler for grammar and punctuation so triple-checked everything. 

Interviews are not my strong point. I did prep with MMI questions using a timer and video so I could watch back and pinpoint anything I could better myself on. I still had major nerves going into all my interviews though so I think next year, if I need to reapply, I would seek interview prep services. 

31 minutes ago, MacQueensPT said:

Hey, yes I sent mine already. For those that did the interview how did you find it? 

I think I found it a bit easier... I think :wacko: The one thing I wish I would have done is have a pen and paper on hand to organize thoughts so I could stay on track and hit all the points I wanted to although its a pretty short time limit so tough to say whether that would be doable. I found it easier in the sense that you don't have to deal with the dreaded interviewer that chooses to say zero things to you haha

58 minutes ago, MacQueensPT said:

Hey, yes I sent mine already. For those that did the interview how did you find it? 

I found it alright! I practiced a lot with the website so I was pretty comfortable doing the real thing. Was able to think of things to talk about for all of the questions. Found the CAP test much more challenging. 

55 minutes ago, PThopeful18 said:

With the english pre requisite I just finished, my sGPA equals 3.89 as an OOP for U of Alberta. The site says competitive number is 3.9+ 

So would it be wise to give it a chance in the next cycle, If I do not get accepted this year?

Is that your ORPAS GPA? UofA was different so I found my GPA was higher when I did my calculation for Alberta compared to my ORPAS one.

Just now, PThopeful18 said:

No my orpas is lower. What i posted is my UofA gpa (since an A is also 4.0 there)

I applied this year with a 3.92 and was waitlisted for the interview process. I found it moved after the UBC acceptance letters went out though :) 

On 5/1/2018 at 1:05 PM, PT2B said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

@PT2B What school in the UK did you apply to?

1 hour ago, MacQueensPT said:

Got a "Root User" e-mail from Mac PT to fill out a survey, should I be taking this as a hint that feedback is needed from those that didn't get in?

They have it listed on their website that notifications are sent out on May 18th, so I don't think there is a need to fret yet :)

Hey, so I applied to OT at McMaster and I'm so impatient for May 18th. I signed onto the McMaster Mosaic site and I just randomly attempted to search for a class... I clicked search, then went to O and chose OT as the subject, then selected "contains" for the course number... and it actually showed the OT classes with the profs and stuff for the fall. This probably means nothing... but do you think all applicants are able to do this? I'm probably just getting my hopes up for no reason lol :(.