Premed 101 Forums

U of Alberta Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

TIME STAMP: 2:15pm
Result: Invite
cGPA: 3.82
MCAT: 516 
ECs: Varied, a big mix between professional research work (5 years ++ conferences and pubs), travel, and various volunteering activities
Year: Masters finished
Geography : OOP

Grateful to be offered an interview given my (relatively) low GPA! I had some pretty significant things going on during my undergrad leading to the lower GPA (but a massive upward trend when it was over) that I was able to speak about in the essay which I think probably helped. Super excited!

TIME STAMP: 2:15pm Mountain
cGPA: 3.66
MCAT: 519
ECs: Varied. Long-term sport and instrument, volunteering, clubs (personal interest, not catered towards med), leadership (small groups), long-term continuous research but across multiple positions.
Year: 1st year Masters
Geography: IP

Interesting, seems like they really did tone down the weighting for cGPA. Did not expect this at all, 1st interview ever in 4 cycles of applications :). The essay must have helped a lot too since imo my ECs are average at best, if not subpar.

TIME STAMP: 2:15
Result: Reject
cGPA: 3.79
MCAT: 513 (127/125/130/131)
ECs: Volunteer, varsity athletics, activities I enjoy, no research
Year: 4th year undergrad
Geography : IP

Does anyone know how much weighting they put on references/CASPER? I thought I had a chance! Might re-write the MCAT to try do better on CARS.

TIME STAMP: 2:15 PM Mountain time
cGPA: 3.88
MCAT: 513 (126/131/126/130)
ECs: mental health one-on-one outreach volunteering, MUN, improv, other volunteering, other activities that I enjoy doing, lots of work experience
Year: Graduated 2011, went back to school for pre-reqs in 2015
Geography: OOP

Pretty amazed I got an invite as an OOP! Emailed them to see if they will give me the March 18th day, since I'm interviewing at McMaster on March 17th. Hopefully I can switch all my flights around and make it!

TIME STAMP: 2:15 Mountain
cGPA: 3.84
MCAT: 512 (124/130/129/129)
ECs: lots of research (publications, international conferences, book chapters), volunteering in hospitals and community centers, peer health educator, student clubs etc...
Year: masters completed 
Geography : IP (but did masters at UofT)

surprised i got invited. I thought gpa and mcat were weak. 

TIME STAMP: 2:15 pm MST
Result: Invited!! 
cGPA: 3.56 (so surprised they still invited me!!)
MCAT: 514
ECs: Masters, research/publication, a hell lot of volunteer and leadership experience, 3 years in corporate world (mostly oil n gas), have travelled to 30 countries, and some other stuff I can’t rememver now 
Year: Completed Bachelors in 2012 

Date: TBD
cGPA: 3.91 (actual GPA 3.78)
MCAT: 513
ECs: Generic activities, retail, laboratory, and test prep employment
Year: B.Sc. 2015, M.Sc. in progress

Ive gotten invites followed by a rejection and waitlist for 3 years now. I am sick and tired of this process so this will be my last year applying for an MD.

TIME STAMP:  1:15pm PST
cGPA:  3.96
MCAT:  508 
ECs: work experience in finance and travel industry, traveling, taekwondo, exec of some clubs, hospital volunteering,  lots of cultural exchange. no research. 
Year:  Graduated 2012, BComm. Non Trad.
Geography :  OOP

Can't believe it!! So grateful to have received this invite!!! Looking forward to it! 

Time stamp: 2:15pm

Result: invite!!

Gpa: 3.72

MCAT: 502 (for real yo)

EC: allied health for 3 years, student group President, working with mental health in the community/mentoring new volunteers, soccer for 5 yrs, no research

Year: BScN 2015 non trad :)

Seriously so thankful! Looking forward to meeting everyone in March! 

Time stamp :10:36 pm 

result: reject :(

gpa :3.68 

mcat: 515

ec: lifeguarding/ coaching 5000 hours, patient visitation 300 hours,research (no publications) 800 hours, personal hobbies

year: 2017 BHSc honors in biomed 

geography: IP 

I'm really dissappointed not to get an interview and yet my GPA was slightly low and my extra curriculars, while extensive, lacked diversity. Things to work on for next cycle 

5 hours ago, CLIC5A said:
Date: TBD
cGPA: 3.91 (actual GPA 3.78)
MCAT: 513
ECs: Generic activities, retail, laboratory, and test prep employment
Year: B.Sc. 2015, M.Sc. in progress

Ive gotten invites followed by a rejection and waitlist for 3 years now. I am sick and tired of this process so this will be my last year applying for an MD.

Don't you dare give up, you have what it takes, don't let the dream die. Just try to realize why you're getting rejected, try to ace your interview this year 

1 hour ago, Hanibarca said:

Don't you dare give up, you have what it takes, don't let the dream die. Just try to realize why you're getting rejected, try to ace your interview this year 

Thanks for the encouragement, but the truth is I don't have the passion for Medicine as I used to. It's fair to say that MD admissions committees have annihilated my passion to pursue this career.

TIME STAMP: 2:15 pm
cGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 517 (131/131/127/128)
ECs: two summers of research experience, diverse awards, long term commitment to a few university clubs/conferences, multiple leadership roles, tutoring, coaching, high level athletics, unique interests given BASc background.
Year: 4th year BASc

Archived