Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite grades following new guidelines option 2

12 hours ago, wynndixie said:

Honestly I'm not really sure what to make of that. In what way could MCAT scores make someone more or less competitive? Before, it could balance a slightly lower prereq-GPA, but now that the prereq-GPA is not considered, what deficiency could there be that a high MCAT score would help make up for? My hunch is that that's just "leftover" wording or something. If you consider the components of the pre-interview (70% degGPA, 20% CASPER, 10% CV) and post-interview (100% MMI) rankings, I just don't see where an MCAT score can factor in for a candidate for whom the MCAT is optional or not required.

Thanks @wynndixie, you're right. Hopefully they update the rest of the site soon so that it's more clear.

22 hours ago, Great_Wumbo said:

The application cycle is going to be interesting for sure. What is going to be the breakdown for pre-interview and post-interview (acceptance/reject) now that pre-req GPA is a thing of the past?

Looks like this is the breakdown now: 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process

• 5 months later...

Thank you for asking such important questions! I was wondering where you found this exact sentence?

AND "courses completed more than eight (8) years before the application deadline will not be considered; distance or correspondence education courses are acceptable only by special permission and at the discretion of the Office of Admissions"

On 6/11/2020 at 6:12 PM, Cardiolove01 said:

Hi Everyone, I read the website over a few times and I had the following questions

To give some context, I did not apply to Mcgill this year, I am re-doing option 2 prerequisites this year.  I did quite well on interview the times I applied but haven't gotten in due to prerequisites. This year I made the decision to not apply and re-do my prerequisites while balancing two jobs which has been tough I'm just worried if those prerequisites will still count? 

1) From my understanding prerequisite grades no longer count past the interview point, correct? based on this my understanding is 100 percent of admission decision is based on interview once you get the interview "For all programs, completion of all prerequisites science courses is required to maintain eligibility. Any of these courses taken as part of your Basis of Admission degree will contribute to your overall GPA for the academic assessment. CHANGES FOR THE FALL 2021 ADMISSIONS CYCLE: As of 2021, the GPA of the Basic Science courses is not re-used in the selection process"  

2) You still need to have the prerequisites done and have some sort of minimum grade what is that grade? Website only says this " As of Fall 2021, all basic science prerequisite courses must meet a minimum grade requirement; the GPA is not weighted in the selection process"  I don't know what this will mean if there needs to be a minimum if B+ for all prerequisite grades or an A-

3) Is option 2 classes done through athabasca, thomson rivers count still?  "a separate GPA for the science courses (collegial and/or university level) will not be weighted in the selection process. The final step of selection for the MDCM program will be based on the interview, harmonizing it with the Med-P selection process." AND "courses completed more than eight (8) years before the application deadline will not be considered; distance or correspondence education courses are acceptable only by special permission and at the discretion of the Office of Admissions"

So from my understanding, you will need prerequisites to be done ( within last 8 years if expired needs to be redone), there will be some sort of minimim requirement for these prerequisites( T.B.D what this minimum is)  but as long as you have done them and achieved the minimum and gotten the interview, the prerequisites won't affect your admission ie your interview score will decide your admission. I'm already going to be finished re-doing the prerequisites for this year cycle I guess I just don't know if McGill will now count them given my point 3 (athabasca, thomson rivers will hopefully still continue to count as it used to?) I'll be sad if all that time and money and effort and the prerequisites I re-took will no longer count. My option 1 prerequisites were done in 2008-2010 so they are no longer valid with the 8 year guideline. 

AND "courses completed more than eight (8) years before the application deadline will not be considered; distance or correspondence education courses are acceptable only by special permission and at the discretion of the Office of Admissions"

Thanks a lot for the questions! May i please ask where exactly u found this sentence?

22 minutes ago, veromedico said:

Thanks a lot for the questions! May i please ask where exactly u found this sentence?

I don't know where OP found this, but I was only able to find it in an out-of-date version of the eCalendar, so not even on the MDCM Admissions website itself or the current eCalendar. As far as I can tell, this language has been entirely removed from all the currently valid admissions documents. If you go here, you can see the current authoritative policy on prerequisite courses. Their policy on distance courses also seems to be less strict than the above wording would imply.

2 minutes ago, Vons said:

I don't know where OP found this, but I was only able to find it in an out-of-date version of the eCalendar, so not even on the MDCM Admissions website itself or the current eCalendar. As far as I can tell, this language has been entirely removed from all the currently valid admissions documents. If you go here, you can see the current authoritative policy on prerequisite courses. Their policy on distance courses also seems to be less strict than the above wording would imply.

Thank you so much!

7 hours ago, veromedico said:

It was on their website and when I emailed admissions they said they forgot to update that link, it no longer appplies as of last year :) and I think they have now updated everything 

1 hour ago, BN33 said:

Just to make sure I understand properly.

I did my prerequisistes 10 years ago. I am now completing a undergradute.

Are my prerequisistes  still  good and will they  count toward my GPA or not (my grade were not excellent at this moment)?

Your prerequisites should still be valid, if you want to you could email admissions to confirm, but there's no reason for them to be invalid that I'm aware of. They will only count towards your cGPA if they were completed as part of the undergraduate degree that you're currently doing, which I think in practice means that if you did them at a different school than your current one they won't count.

2 hours ago, BN33 said:

So they don't look at your prerequisites grades for the acamedic evaluation, only your cGPA from your last undergrad for the initial selection process?

Well they do look at your prerequisite grades because they need to confirm that they're acceptable. In order for the prerequisite to be accepted, you need to have received at least a high enough grade so that you would receive transfer credit for it. Off the top of my head I think that means you need at least a C or a C+ in the class if it was taken at a university, but the complete requirements are published somewhere on the admissions website. Your prerequisite grades will only be included in the cGPA calculation if they were completed as a part of your basis of admissions degree.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, ceelbe said:

Amazing, thank you. I’ll likely be taking some at McGill, hopefully some at Dawson and wherever I have to lol so hoping they all would get grades in by then. 

If you haven't already taken it, I please urge you to take the physics at Dawson or any other cegep or even any other university that offers Algebra-based physics. PHYS 205 at Concordia is a nightmare right now.

1 hour ago, Great_Wumbo said:

If you haven't already taken it, I please urge you to take the physics at Dawson or any other cegep or even any other university that offers Algebra-based physics. PHYS 205 at Concordia is a nightmare right now and I'm praying for C or above If I get conditional admittance to McGill after interviewing. 

Yeah so that’s my dilemma right now :( the way it works with my schedule, it’s looking like Concordia 204/205 this summer is the only thing that’ll work for me so those are the intensive ones and from what I’ve read off Google, I’m in for an absolute nightmare if I do that. It’s cuz I don’t have the science cal 1 needed for physics taken at the cegep levels but apparently my social science cal 1 is fine for Concordia. I would go back and do that cal 1 but then I wouldn’t be able to apply this cycle and I really want to. Maybe I can message you with some questions about phys205? I’m pretty terrified honestly lol

On 3/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, ceelbe said:

Yeah so that’s my dilemma right now :( the way it works with my schedule, it’s looking like Concordia 204/205 this summer is the only thing that’ll work for me so those are the intensive ones and from what I’ve read off Google, I’m in for an absolute nightmare if I do that. It’s cuz I don’t have the science cal 1 needed for physics taken at the cegep levels but apparently my social science cal 1 is fine for Concordia. I would go back and do that cal 1 but then I wouldn’t be able to apply this cycle and I really want to. Maybe I can message you with some questions about phys205? I’m pretty terrified honestly lol

I urge you to stay AWAY from PHYS 205 at Concordia if you can, even if it delays you. The calculus used in this course is absurd and every example used on exams/assignments that aren't insane derivations are nonetheless the hardcore versions of what you would see in a cegep or algebra-based E&M course. This course was built as a weed out for Engineering students.