Premed 101 Forums

Rejected as 3rd year Undergrad

I realize that getting an interview as a 3rd year is a huge accomplishment in itself and I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but it's easier said than done. I was lucky enough to get an interview third year, but the odds were not in my favour. I've been feeling down seeing some of my peers get in this year, knowing that I was so close. When I entered UG, I had this timeline planned out in my head, but as UG went on, things were not going my way and I realized I might not be able to go to med school after third year so I made my peace with that. After getting my interview, I feel like I put too much pressure on it because my original goal was now achievable again. I am looking at this more positively by telling myself that I have another year to enjoy life as UG, spend time with friends, work on my ECs, hopefully get more interviews etc. I was hoping to hear from other people who were rejected and accepted later, who are glad that they were rejected at that point in their life because of the experiences they had before medical school or something similar.

Yeah medicine never goes to plan, this pandemic is just one of many many examples. Don't beat yourself up about it, you'll get in when you're meant to, or maybe you'll find something more fulfilling. I got in 5 years later than planned lol, but the experiences I've had changed me to be a better medical student, a better person, and in the future, a better doctor. You got an interview and that's amazing. Just keep up the good work, practice your interviewing skills, and good luck on next cycle.

Scrap the whole "time line" mentality. I personally fell victim to this and it stressed me out more than it should have. I often thought way too much about the future and hitting specific milestones at specific time periods of my life. The final result: absolutely nothing went to plan and ended up getting in 3 years after than I expected and it was a very choppy ride. Let things flow naturally and just put your next best foot forward.

Looking back, I dont think I would have been ready for med school if I got in "earlier". I feel like this year was the true year I was meant to start the med journey. I gained new experiences along the way and I felt like I developed great skills that I cant wait to apply in medicine. Just keep doing things you enjoy, spend time with family and friends, maybe drink a couple beers every once and a while and everything will be fine.

Wishing you best of luck! 

On 6/30/2020 at 7:07 PM, IMislove said:

Yeah medicine never goes to plan, this pandemic is just one of many many examples. Don't beat yourself up about it, you'll get in when you're meant to, or maybe you'll find something more fulfilling. I got in 5 years later than planned lol, but the experiences I've had changed me to be a better medical student, a better person, and in the future, a better doctor. You got an interview and that's amazing. Just keep up the good work, practice your interviewing skills, and good luck on next cycle.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, premed72 said:

Scrap the whole "time line" mentality. I personally fell victim to this and it stressed me out more than it should have. I often thought way too much about the future and hitting specific milestones at specific time periods of my life. The final result: absolutely nothing went to plan and ended up getting in 3 years after than I expected and it was a very choppy ride. Let things flow naturally and just put your next best foot forward.

Looking back, I dont think I would have been ready for med school if I got in "earlier". I feel like this year was the true year I was meant to start the med journey. I gained new experiences along the way and I felt like I developed great skills that I cant wait to apply in medicine. Just keep doing things you enjoy, spend time with family and friends, maybe drink a couple beers every once and a while and everything will be fine.

Wishing you best of luck! 

Thank you guys for the positive responses. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I definitely focused too much on the timeline mentality and achieving certain goals by a certain time. I'm glad to hear that the experiences before being accepted helped you to become better medical students and hopefully as physicians as well. I hope that in the future I can also reflect on this cycle and have that same feeling when I'm accepted.

• 1 year later...

I forgot all my login info for the previous account, but I wanted to follow up with an update.

I was accepted to medical school this cycle and I definitely resonate with the previous comments. It was hard to accept at the time and it's just one of those things that you really need to experience to understand, or truly believe it. Life does not go according to plan, but that does not mean you should stop trying. I've simply tried to make the most out of the opportunities that were given to me. Because of that, I feel that I am entering medical school at the perfect time for me. I have grown as an individual, things are in a better place financially for myself, and my family and I was able to spend more time for friends and have experiences that I will continue to cherish.

If anyone else finds themselves feeling like I did, life will work itself out and try not to put too much stress on yourself. Easier said than done of course.