Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Entering my fourth year

GPA: 3.94

Verbal: 10

How much pressure would you say is there to do outstanding on CASPER?

I wouldn't say you need to do outstanding. Above average should likely get you an interview. But note that majority of people come out of CASPER thinking their chances at Mac are down the drain lol

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short: I don't have enough time to prep for the entire MCAT and am going out on a limb and only writing VR (can't really hurt, since my old MCAT doesn't make most cutoffs anyway.)

-My cGPA is ~3.6 (Not sure how much it is with my summer courses)

-MSc student finishing before December (1 pub on the way, 2 conferences)

Q: How high do you think my verbal score should be? (at least)

I haven't seen many invites for low GPAs so I don't know if I'm being realistic here.

Long story short: I don't have enough time to prep for the entire MCAT and am going out on a limb and only writing VR (can't really hurt, since my old MCAT doesn't make most cutoffs anyway.)

-My cGPA is ~3.6 (Not sure how much it is with my summer courses)

-MSc student finishing before December (1 pub on the way, 2 conferences)

Q: How high do you think my verbal score should be? (at least)

I haven't seen many invites for low GPAs so I don't know if I'm being realistic here.

Are you getting the Masters bump or do you miss the cut-off for that?

I would say you should be aiming for an 11 or higher.

Hello all!

Ihave a verbal score of 9

My omsas cGPA is 3.78 plus a 1% bump with a masters

Do I have a reasonable shot at an interview if Casper goes well? I really do not want to write the MCAT again. Some insight would be nice! Thanks!

They have not released the stats for this years admissions yet but since they increased the weight of gpa and vr and lowered Casper I expect the average gpa and vr to go up.

Currently your GPA is average and you vr is significantly below average. The new weighting formula doesn't help you. Your masters will give you a little boost but you will need to do really well Casper. I wouldn't say your odds are great or terrible just Casper dependant.

I'm IP, my cGPA is somewhat disastrous (around 3.2) and my VR is 8. Do I have any chance at all at Mac, or anywhere in Canada for that matter?

I would guess not with those specs unless you are eligible for certain weighting formula that help a lot at U of T or U of Manitoba (for example) or have 2 years at >3.8 or so.

Mac looks at every course you have ever taken including course taken in the summer and ones taken part time. There are no weighting formulas. They don't look at trends. All they "see" (its a computer doing this) for gpa is 1 number which is your cGPA.

On the flipside GPA is only 1/3 of the pre interview score.

Mac looks at every course you have ever taken including course taken in the summer and ones taken part time. There are no weighting formulas. They don't look at trends. All they "see" (its a computer doing this) for gpa is 1 number which is your cGPA.

On the flipside GPA is only 1/3 of the pre interview score.

Very frustrating for a non-trad with a prior degree. I wish every school had a 10 year rule and I cannot think of any good reason why they would not.

Very frustrating for a non-trad with a prior degree. I wish every school had a 10 year rule and I cannot think of any good reason why they would not.

So very true. :/ I wouldn't qualify for 10 years anyways but I think people should not have their abilities be judged on how they behaved a decade ago! :/

MacMed is such a lottery with the three numbers...casper score, verbal score and gpa. :D You never know! I know one person with an 8 and 9 in verbal that got in (GPAs around 3.8ish) and one person with a 11 in verbal and a 3.90 that didnt even get an interview.

Just apply and try your best :D

Was that last cycle or before that when CASPer was worth 46% of your interview score? I think under the new scoring formula you would truly have to bomb CASPer not to get an interview

GPA 3.6

VR 13

I know I'm significantly below average for the GPA (wish they had a weighting formula as my two most recent years were both above 3.8) and significantly above average for VR.

I've got my fingers crossed that those will balance out and I'll just have to do reasonably well on CASPER.

Is that realistic?

GPA 3.6

VR 13

I know I'm significantly below average for the GPA (wish they had a weighting formula as my two most recent years were both above 3.8) and significantly above average for VR.

I've got my fingers crossed that those will balance out and I'll just have to do reasonably well on CASPER.

Is that realistic?

Your VR is amazing so you probably have an average chance at getting an interview invite!