Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Soo I tried to submit OMSAS 5 minutes before it was due and apparently UofT and Ottawa wanted you to list the prerequisite courses. Long story short I had 1 minute to spare when I submitted and now I need a drink/vacation.

When I went to submit, it was throwing me an error because I had no courses entered for Ottawa. I was registered there in 2005, but I withdrew with no penalty. OMSAS' website says not to list courses from which you withdrew without penalty. It wouldn't let me submit though. So I called and the very nice lady gave me a workaround but damn I'd have had a panic attack if it had been closer to the deadline!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic but this is my first application cycle so I'm sure next year will feel very different. I hope you get in! You've been very helpful and kind to other applicants. :)

I feel similarly. Maybe because it's our first time, and we haven't felt the sting of rejection (by med schools) yet, we are a bit more optimistic?

I just submitted my OMSAS application this morning... Not too happy about the waiting and thumb-twiddling for the next few months.

I feel similarly. Maybe because it's our first time, and we haven't felt the sting of rejection (by med schools) yet, we are a bit more optimistic?

I just submitted my OMSAS application this morning... Not too happy about the waiting and thumb-twiddling for the next few months.

Yeah, essentially four months before we hear anything (at least!) seems like a long time. But the time does go fast with school and work and volunteering. It will be that stretch between the end of school and May 13 that drives me buggy!

I hope the waiting is more lenient on everyone (including me!) than it was for me last year haha.

I was in the running for an interview at UofT until about the end of March (I was rejected right before the last interview day...in fact they added one additional one in an attempt to accommodate more candidates, which is just unreal). Having been rejected from everywhere else and UofT being my last hope, I checked my email and phone about a dozen times a day between the end of January (when the first invitations go out) and the end of March. Heh, that's when I broke down and finally signed up for premed101!

Mind you that's better than being rejected outright, but I'm fairly sure that few months shortened my life by a few years!

Apps are done and feeling a bit depressed. Here's to another year of waiting and stress!

I think it might be the last one either way - I've invested so much time bettering myself since last cycle that I'm not sure I have the strength to do this a third time if I get rejected pre-interview again. I'd be out of options.

I know how you feel.

When I applied last year as a 3rd year applicant, I literally submitted the application the night it was due, and did not put much effort into my interview.... I guess I had low expectations. This year, I have put in a lot of time on applications, worrying about different things, etc... It would be pretty disappointing to not get in. 

Regardless of the outcome though, I think you should try to stay positive! I plan on applying every year until I graduate from Pharmacy (2017). If I get a hospital residency, I think that's when Medicine will no longer be an option for me.

Regardless of the outcome though, I think you should try to stay positive! I plan on applying every year until I graduate from Pharmacy (2017). If I get a hospital residency, I think that's when Medicine will no longer be an option. 

Thanks for your support. (:

The problem in my case is that medicine is technically my third career. I'm currently a teacher (can't find work), and I'm putting off completion of the actuarial exams, which are fairly intense exams I would marginally say are worse than the MCAT, to pursue medicine (because that kind of math is boring :P). It will be hard to justify to myself and my family if I continue on what increasingly feels like a wild goose chase. ):

Sorry, still a bit bummed!

Could ODs become a key to diagnosing ADHD?

Based on new research, optometrists may have a vital role to play in detecting a commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder.

"Parents of children with suspected attention disorders should be encouraged to have their children undergo a comprehensive eye examination."

A new study from Tel Aviv University in Israel found strong evidence that involuntary eye movement may be an indicator of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Researchers used an eye-tracking system to monitor the eye movements of two groups of adults in conjunction with an ADHD diagnostic test called the Test of the Variables of Attention (TOVA).

One group of participants, who had previously been diagnosed with ADHD, took the test twice: once without medication and again when under the influence of methylphenidate, a drug commonly used to control symptoms of ADHD. A second group of adults, not diagnosed with ADHD, served as the control group.

The results found not only a direct correlation between ADHD and the inability to control eye movement in the anticipation of visual stimuli, but researchers also noted the effectiveness of ADHD medication. They noticed improved performance by ADHD patients taking methylphenidate, which suppressed the involuntary eye movement to the average level of the control group.

"Optometry has always stated that eye movements are linked to reduced attention, often leading to a misdiagnosis of ADHD," says Dr. Glen Steele, O.D., AOA InfantSEE® committee chair. "This study furthers the understanding that eye movements are linked and should be addressed."

"The control of eye movements is foundational for everything an individual might do in life and if compromised, it can lead to reduced ability and function," Dr. Steele adds.

Optometrists become important monitors of ADHD symptoms

Each year, ADHD affects more than 4 percent of American adults and 9 percent of American children age 13 to 18, though the National Institute of Mental Health notes the average age of onset is 7 years old.

Symptoms of ADHD include difficulty staying focused and paying attention, difficulty controlling behavior, and hyperactivity.

Dr. Steele notes that eye movements and control are among the foundational processes evaluated in every eye exam from infancy through adulthood, particularly in all ages where attention issues may be present.

"Parents of children with suspected attention disorders should be encouraged to have their children undergo a comprehensive eye examination by an optometrist in order to determine the extent that vision might play in the overall process," Dr. Steele says.

http://www.aoa.org/news/eye-care-advances/could-ods-become-a-key-to-diagnosing-adhd?sso=y

Congrats!

Most of my classes this year don't have midterms, just regular tests. I prefer it this way. Having 1-2 midterms can be stressful!

By regular tests do you mean final exams? I'm not sure what exactly you mean by regular tests

Also thanks for the congrats haha

By regular tests do you mean final exams? I'm not sure what exactly you mean by regular tests

often I had 2-3 tests a term and then the mid term at waterloo - with at least two of them prior to the final cut off to dropping. Useful to see where you are.

My 'regular tests' I mean every 2-3 weeks, but not cumulative. One of my classes has a 30 question online quiz or a full, 1 hour test every week.

My 'regular tests' I mean every 2-3 weeks, but not cumulative. One of my classes has a 30 question online quiz or a full, 1 hour test every week.

Ah I see. I've only had a class like that once before. I thought it'd be harder, but I actually did well. I think you just get in the mode of good habits with tests being biweekly, whereas when it's 1-2 tests a semester, it's a lot easier to put off studying. That's only if you've had poor habits in the past, like me. I like to think I'm a lot better now.

I actually really like this kind of "testing schedule", also. One of my classes has 6 tests throughout the term (1 every two weeks), and one is dropped. It definitely encourages regular study habits, and causes you to continually evaluate your weaknesses and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!

They send out interviews this early?!

When was your application deadline?

Application deadline was September 16, so only two weeks really before OMSAS was due. Interviews are four weeks from tomorrow.

The Newfoundland applicants will find out if they get in n February. NB, PEI, and OOP will find out in April.

Archived