Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

Hey guys,

Since we are officially one week away from the start of UBC's interview invite period (according to admission's most recent blog post), I thought I'd start a thread where people can post during the week leading up (which is going to be a brutal wait) or as interview invites start rolling in. 

When posting invites or regrets, let's follow this format:

TIME STAMP: XX:XX
Interview Date:
Result: Invite/Reject
GPA:
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS
ECs: 
Early/Regular Deadline:
Year: UG, Masters, PhD
Geography: IP/OP? 

NAQ (For those with regrets):

AQ (For those with regrets):

It's helpful for everyone else this year and in future years to have a common format against which to compare!

Good luck, and let's try to enjoy the process as much as possible!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing so many qualified candidates last year getting regrets made me nervous about my chance as an OOP for UBC :(... This is my first time applying and I understand that there might be many more to come but I am extremely anxious at this point..

I need to learn how to deal with the unknowns a little bit better :) sigh!

Good luck to everyone on here!

This is my first time applying and I understand that there might be many more to come but I am extremely anxious at this point..

I am right there with you. Even when I am studying, all of a sudden the thought will randomly pop into my head that "what if I don't get invited?" or "what if I do?". I feel like half the time I'm terrified and the other half I'm excited... The waiting game is the worst one. 

I am right there with you. Even when I am studying, all of a sudden the thought will randomly pop into my head that "what if I don't get invited?" or "what if I do?". I feel like half the time I'm terrified and the other half I'm excited... The waiting game is the worst one.

All I wanted to do in December was focus on the interview, I didn't want to study for finals or anything else. The anxiety will remain until hopefully may 15th for all of you!

Feel the same way. All over the place! Cautiously optimistic, but also fearful. I have other applications but if I don't get an interview at UBC I know I'll start feeling extremely anxious about receiving across the board rejections from other schools!

It doesn't really get better after you get your invite haha.  You feel AWESOME for a few days then you start your prep and sweat out the next 3 months getting more nervous until decisions.  UBC likes Hunger Games survival style decisions and that does not help.  For me anyways!  Good luck guys! 

A reminder to everyone: be proud of how far you've come so far. It takes a lot of hard work to get to even this position. If this is really your dream, sometimes there are cruel ups and downs that come with it . But if the worst case scenario does present itself, don't take it personally, or think that you're not good enough. Work hard and come back stronger next year.

Good luck everyone.

To quote lokiki from another thread: 

They have historically sent out rejections and invites in "survivor" style. No guarantee this will happen but I expect it to.

First day of notifications. They send out a bunch of rejections. Usually it's OOP, or people who didn't make cutoffs, or forgot to release MCAT scores or something. Sample size to small to make any real generalizations about this group.

Next day. Rejections sent to a bunch more people. Seems to be OOPs.

Next day. Rejections sent to IPs. Usually me.

Next day. Invites sent to early deadline people. YOU CAN BOOK YOUR INTERVIEW SLOT IMMEDIATELY.

Next day. Invites sent to the rest of the people. YOU CAN BOOK YOUR INTERVIEW SLOT IMMEDIATELY.

Basically, if interview invites start being posted here (by reliable people), then you have survived.

Source: Did this for seven years in a row. Last year was the only year I did not follow the forum religiously and wasn't following AT ALL when the rejections/invites went out. Was extremely surprised when I received an invite.

The way they send out rejections is so intense haha

I don't like those emails sent to all applicants. Doubles my heart rate every time!

Oh my god. Yes. I remember those.

Best of luck to everyone. If you want it bad enough, you will get it. Sometimes not the first or even the third time. In our class of 288 or however many there is me (7x), there's at least one 6x, and at least 2 5x applicants. Rejections hurt but they are not personal (I know it can be hard to not take it personally).

Best of luck to everyone. I cannot offer MMI prep to anyone (med students are disallowed from doing so) but I can answer general questions. Be yourself, be humble but enthusiastic.

A great speaker spoke to our class just today. There was something he said to us: You belong here. Know that. Be prepared, and you will do well. You belong here.

I was rejected (IP) on Wednesday last year. I believe the bulk of rejections were sent on Tuesday, then on Wednesday a small pool was sent rejections and just after invites were sent to early applicants.

You could look on the thread from last year. I don't remember if it was Thursday or Friday. I just remember where I was and what I was doing. :D

Hey guys! When posting invites or regrets, let's follow this format:

TIME STAMP: XX:XX
Interview Date
Result: Invite/Reject
GPA:
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS
ECs: 
Early/Regular Deadline:
Year: UG, Masters, PhD
Geography: IP/OP? 

NAQ (For those with regrets):

AQ (For those with regrets):

It's really helpful to have a common format against which to compare our results. It makes it better for future years to look back on as well. Good luck everybody, only a couple more days of waiting!

Archived