Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

Anyone else have their interview pre-booked when they logged in?

I went to sign up and it told me I already had a time booked :P

This happened to me also. Fortunately I was able to drop that interview slot and pick another one. Can't speculate as to why that would happen and I'm not an Aboriginal applicant.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invited, OOP

AQ: ~48 based on numbers in the forum (90.5)

NAQ: at least greater or equal to 30.8 since invite cut-off was (78.8 for OOP)

EC's: Lots of research as an undergrad, 6 abstracts, 2 publications, 1 book chapter...

I'm really glad I got to interview. I really wish I had applied last year but wasn't sure if I would make the cut-off. Pumped to interview at UBC as it is a top choice of mine!

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again. Hopefully bumping this thread isn't a terrible idea! Going through this thread to sort of estimate the timeline of when to expect results...lots of anxiety building up I guess. For only of my non-academic activities I got the year wrong (was off by one but the number of hours were fine) and my verifier wasn't able to confirm but made a note and I contacted them to have a note added to my file as well - hopefully that doesn't hurt much.

Guessing my AQ is pretty high, got a 90+ average going for me right now. Scored pretty high on my MCAT (well above the average), although I don't think that comes into play at the interview stage. I put down loads of things for the NAQ section but we'll see how for that gets me (summer camp leader, student council executive, two years of Science Undergraduate Society experience, among other quirkier things like doing graphic design work for local groups, MUG leader, 2 years of hospital volunteering, etc.).

It's that time of year again. Hopefully bumping this thread isn't a terrible idea! Going through this thread to sort of estimate the timeline of when to expect results...lots of anxiety building up I guess. For only of my non-academic activities I got the year wrong (was off by one but the number of hours were fine) and my verifier wasn't able to confirm but made a note and I contacted them to have a note added to my file as well - hopefully that doesn't hurt much.

Guessing my AQ is pretty high, got a 90+ average going for me right now. Scored pretty high on my MCAT (well above the average), although I don't think that comes into play at the interview stage. I put down loads of things for the NAQ section but we'll see how for that gets me (summer camp leader, student council executive, two years of Science Undergraduate Society experience, among other quirkier things like doing graphic design work for local groups, MUG leader, 2 years of hospital volunteering, etc.).

I highly doubt that can cause any issues. Hopefully you'll hear some good news soon.

Seeing this bumped had me really worried that the e-mails had already been sent out... Really wish I knew when they were coming so I could stop glaring at my phone / checking here and the blog constantly.

My bad! Sorry :P On a side note, this is objectively the worst time to be sending out interview invites...first two weeks of finals season for UBC students? Who thought of that?And thanks shearkha, I'm sure it'll be okay but it's hard not to worry about it - still can't believe I let that slip before submitting my application haha.

Do you know if an e-mail is sent out or do I have to keep checking the OAS page?

My bad! Sorry :P On a side note, this is objectively the worst time to be sending out interview invites...first two weeks of finals season for UBC students? Who thought of that?And thanks shearkha, I'm sure it'll be okay but it's hard not to worry about it - still can't believe I let that slip before submitting my application haha.

Do you know if an e-mail is sent out or do I have to keep checking the OAS page?

Pretty sure you should get an e-mail if you're invited. All correspondence I've had with UBC Med over OAS has been been CC'd to my e-mail. From what I've gathered, though, regrets will only be communicated on the OAS Application Status page.

PS would you all rather just start your own thread for the 2013/2014 UBC interview notifications when they start coming out? You're free to do so :) And it will make tracking the 2013/2014 trends easier in the future?

Does as you may :)

And good luck, everyone!

Yes, please re: a new thread for 2013/14...I almost had a heart attack when I checked the site and saw pages and pages of commentary before looking at the dates :eek:

As a seasoned regrets-receiver, my experience has been that those notices do come through first. I also have my fingers crossed to not hear anything for a while...

How about that e-mail on Friday?! What the what??? Way to mess with our minds and push us anxious types over the edge :) Trying to stay chill about the whole thing, but I really do wish UBC just had a set date where regrets/invitations were sent to all.

Also - separate question: what does UBC Med gain by keeping their calculation methods so secret? How do you think this impacts the application pool from year to year (if at all)?

Yes, please re: a new thread for 2013/14...I almost had a heart attack when I checked the site and saw pages and pages of commentary before looking at the dates :eek:

As a seasoned regrets-receiver, my experience has been that those notices do come through first. I also have my fingers crossed to not hear anything for a while...

How about that e-mail on Friday?! What the what??? Way to mess with our minds and push us anxious types over the edge :) Trying to stay chill about the whole thing, but I really do wish UBC just had a set date where regrets/invitations were sent to all.

Also - separate question: what does UBC Med gain by keeping their calculation methods so secret? How do you think this impacts the application pool from year to year (if at all)?

Maybe to avoid people who've been rejected calling incessantly for an appeal despite legitimately not meeting certain criteria. Though you'd hope people would be reasonable, some might stretch certain interpretation and this would be a real pain from human resource standpoint. That's my guess!

Maybe to avoid people who've been rejected calling incessantly for an appeal despite legitimately not meeting certain criteria. Though you'd hope people would be reasonable, some might stretch certain interpretation and this would be a real pain from human resource standpoint. That's my guess!

Stop posting unnecessary in this thread! Almost had a cardiac arrest.

Archived