Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Accepted!!!!

IP, 3rd Year Applicant

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 37R (14 PS/11 VR/ 12 BS)

ECs: I've done a lot of volunteering, including long-term commitments. I also have published a research paper and held a few jobs in leadership roles during the school year. U of A ranked my activities highly last year, so I think this is one of the stronger parts of my application.

I also felt fantastic about the interview, I think it was probably my best one.

Well I guess it's about time I join this forum!

Accepted :)

IP

GPA (worst year dropped): 3.48

MCAT: 12-12-S-12

EC: Working as a pharmacist x7 years in various settings, most recently in a primary care network. Music, triathlon, lots of sports.

I hope this is an inspiration to those who are a bit older, and those who may not have a stellar GPA but are passionate about a career in medicine.

Accepted

IP, 4th year Sciences

GPA:3.6

MCAT: 33R (VR10)

ECs: Easily what got me in after looking at everyone's stats. I wont post what I did here because I want to help future applicants. It doesnt matter what your ECs are, it matters HOW to talk about it. For example, the schools dont care that you can play the piano and sing. What they care about is the dedication and patience over many years required to reach a really talented level. The piano skills or the fact your a varsity athele means nothing to them...its the dedication, patience and ability to work as a team they look for. So you really could be a cook at McDonalds or a varsity athlete and get the same attribute score for team work if you show you have the same level of team work.

Interview: Felt all stations went well. I managed to stay calm and got my points across orderly. Then I got home and panicked about everything.

Accepted!

IP

3 years after my MSc, also have a BSc(Hons)

GPA: 3.75

MCAT: 30S (9 VR)

(my MCAT was from 2006, when a particularly silly night out of escalating bets led to a mutual bet between friends to write the MCAT sans studying). I didn't want to re-write that test again so that actually limited my ability to apply to med schools once I actually decided that my personality is more suited for clinical medicine than public health research.

I don't really want to call them ECs but I guess I had things that will have lead to a high enough score to get in based on the non-cognitives (because that GPA is average and the MCAT is probably below average).

This things include:

- 4 years of work in academia, including ironically teaching at the med school of my university, teaching undergrad and grad classes, and lots of research including in quite a few developing countries in public health. I have about 10 publications + lots of conferences etc.

- Living overseas and in lots of different contexts, partially related to my work

- Doing a lot of search and rescue/emergency response work with the Red Cross.

- Lots of different sports, coaching, backcountry hiking/kayaking, multi-day trips etc, two varsity sports from many years ago.

- Learning other languages...

- Bands/choir involvement - my voice has been in quite a few independent films as either a singer or voiceover, randomly.

I don't know if any of these will make somebody particularly suited for medicine, but I just wanted to give some info to these forums that helped me understand a lot more about the med school process. So thanks to others who have also posted.

I'm an Alberta resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.76 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: Q

I was rejected by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school.

I applied to UBC, U of C, U of A, Queen's, and U of T.

I was interviewed at UBC, U of C, and U of A.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Calgary as my first choice (but now I suppose I will just have to make UBC my next first choice!)

Congrats to all of you who were accepted :) I am especially curious to see if Kyla got in... You are my hero and I am rooting for you!!!

Pretty disappointed to find out that I got rejected and not waitlisted.

3.54 (combined Masters and UG)

VR: 9

Interview: Thought I had done well for the most part

ECs:

Masters degree, Many volunteer hours on a sexual assault crisis line, many campaigning hours for both provincial and federal elections, I have served on my condo board as treasurer for multiple years, I am the Vice president of a provincial constistuency association supporting the best MLA in Alberta! I've had multiple acting roles in the local theatre in my home town. one 1st author scientific publication and one third author scientific publication, a third publication in submission. I am Currently working as research technician in viral discovery for the past 4 years at the UofA. I have Coordinated and helped organize a city wide fundraising event in Edmonton for those affected by HIV/AIDS (Have volunteered many years with this organization). Various other volunteers activities i.e. Run for the cure, Meals on wheels, Take back the night event etc.

References: Pretty solid I would assume especially the ones from my MLA and from director of the HIV/AIDS organization that I worked with.

Hoping that the UofA is far kinder to me next week. This year has been really difficult for me with my three year relationship/engagement actually coming to an end a week before my interview at the UofC. I was hoping the I might have built up enough good karma to have been selected at the UofC. Guess not....

Accepted after being wait-listed last year! Feels great!

OOP

Adjust GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 33 S (10 Verbal)

Defending my MSc. in June (a bit late), ECs were pretty solid, was a teaching assistant for 3 years, a military reserve for 5 years, unique upbringing, lots of volunteer experience with at-risk youth, guest speaker at charity events for at-risk youth (just this year, also helped A LOT with my nerves for interviews. Talk about learning on the go lol), have a co-authorship publication, abstract/poster publication at a national conference, hoping to publish my current MSc thesis, and my cat is 24 years old.

Super excited! But still waiting for May 14th for Ontario results :D

Also for anyone thinking about giving up, DON'T! This is my 4th time re-applying, I've applied since 3rd year, again in 4th, after my 2 years of MSc (at which point my supervisor decided to keep paying me to do additional research for a solid thesis for a 3rd year), and this year. I was wait-listed at multiple schools each year because I become terribly nervous in interviews and just say all the wrong things. This year I practiced for several weeks, non-stop, asking my awesome lab mates to mock-interview me! So keep on trying!

Accepted!

IP

GPA: 3.46

VR: 12

PhD Completed

Registered Health Professional in another discipline

EC: lots of EC's, non-traditional, older applicant

Tried more times then I care to admit, but UofC was the only school for me so I stuck it out. Still don't believe it's really happened....

Accepted! Can't believe I'm actually posting one of these! I fell out of my chair today when I got the email! This was my 1st time applying, I applied to U of C and U of A but only got an interview at U of C.

IP

4th Year Student

GPA: 3.60

MCAT: 10VR (10BS, 11PS, QWS)

EC's: This is without a doubt the thing that got me in (in addition to my interview). I'm a really engaged volunteer and student leader on campus, in my community & internationally. Throughout my undergrad I knew I wanted to be a doctor but I also promised myself from day 1 that I would never do something to purely resume pad. I paid out of my own pocked for my international experiences/research funding also helped me out a TON. Also, I thought that my time as a student was incredibly valuable and if I was already going to spend my time doing something, it might as well be something I really loved (I know that may sound cliche) but when I didn't know what I loved doing, I went out and looked for it. So, I challenge each of you reading this to do the same. I SWEAR the admissions committee will recognize your passion and dedication to helping others, not simply your med application. I thought for SURE I wasn't going to get in this year because I didn't have the token super high GPA, but clearly I had something else they liked. Congrats to everyone! I look forward to meeting you and best of luck to future applicants! Keep dreamin' big :)

Rejected

GPA: 3.49

ECs: volunteer overseas, h1n1 clinic, rehab clinic, 4 pubs - 1 1st author, lots of research, 10 years coaching.

Interview: tanked it. No doubt.

U of c seemed great. Congrats to those who got great news and good luck to you wait listers.

sd

Accepted, IP pool

wGPA 3.54 (upward trending grades)

MCAT 38P (12 PS, 12 VR, 14 BS)

Extra curricular activities: Good but not great compared to people here. Volunteering abroad, Lots of interesting work, no long term medical volunteering in hospitals or the like.

Interview: Felt like it went great and it must have, I've always considered myself a longshot candidate, I even took courses this year to boost my GPA anticipating rejection.

A little hope for people with odd stats I guess.

IP, rejected

GPA: 3.82

MCAT: 11VR (low in ps/bs)

Completed masters. Work in research. Second time applying. Non-traditional. Lots of EC's including work with non-profit and sports teams.

Interview: must have done poorly, as my EC's, etc should have given me a little advantage. I practiced hard, and thought I did well.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. Hopefully I'll see you next year.

Accepted, IP

Graduated with BSc(Hons) from UBC last year.

3rd time applying to Calgary. 1st time, no interview; last year, waitlisted. PERSIST!

wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 31R (10VR)

ECs: varsity athlete, some hospital volunteering, research, some pubs, missions trip, etc, etc, - I did what I like!

Interview: Did some things to improve this year, obvs worked!

Very, very honoured and excited. I am among those who have been trying for a few years and have had to feel the sting of rejection. I've been on premed for a long time but have never posted, this site is truly a blessing and a curse.

Accepted!

IP in Alberta

Non-traditional applicant; 2nd time applying.

GPA: 3.95

VR: 8

Interview: Good feeling overall, but definitely did poorly on one station. Did a lot of mock interviews.

ECs: Lots of health-related volunteering and work experience. Extensive research experience including pubs and presentations.

I am still in disbelief, but very happy and honored to be offered a spot.

Accepted!!:)

IP in Alberta

wGPA 3.92

Completed Masters degree; 2nd time applying.

MCAT: 12/10/12

ECs: Mainly research activities. Otherwise they were average.

Interview: Thought it went really well. Answered most of the prompt questions in my original response.

waitlisted (holy f**king torture)

IP for alberta

4th year applicant

gpa with lowest year dropped is 3.75

mcat 34S with VR 13.

i thought the interview went pretty okay but it was my first MMI so hard to say.

i'm sure my references were all pretty good. ECs/work experience decent and fairly well-rounded, but nothing outstanding.

congrats to those who were accepted! and to my fellow waitlistees.... i feel your pain. this is hard!

Accepted, and still my in disbelief!

For non-trads in need of hope…

IP

cGPA: 3.36 (only my first degree met the 24 credit criteria, and, well, didn’t represent my future grades). Imagine… next year I would have had to go through special screening!

VR: 9

Last year of PhD

ECs: This was hands down my strength pre-interview. I have a background in bioethics and related experiences. I’ve been involved in something or other throughout my studies.

Interview: Felt elated and that it went extremely well. Didn’t feel as though my answers were the best (I had a case of post-interview syndrome), but felt like I engaged the interviewers. I really focused on bringing a piece of “me” to each station/answer. Post-interview impressions don’t mean much, from reading other posts, but I’m convinced my interview was what made the difference for me this year.

References: I felt they were great references; they were all individuals with whom I had done significant academic or clinical work. However, I never got to see what they wrote, so I can only guess that they had good things to say about me.

I’ve applied several times. Once before having kids, then had kids, applied, never made it off the waitlist (I can totally relate to that slow form of torture, hang in there waitlisters!), then applied again, put a lot of effort in preparing for the interview, and here I am. So thankful. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Late to post, but accepted

OOP

GPA: 3.90

VR: 11

Interview: first interview.. Just prepared and talked just like any job interview. Made an effort to demonstrate my life experiences - as in tied that into my responses.

EC: average, just took part in activities that interested me.

Rejected, 2nd time applying

IP

3.93 wGPA

37Q MCAT, 12VR

EC's: Ok, not terrible but not amazing. Likely middle of the road compared to most applicants.

MMI: I don't know why, but I seem to fail on the questions Calgary asks. I'm not sure if it's the format/style, but I end up giving these formulaic vanilla responses that fail to show much of my personality. Definitely my worst interview overall.

Waitlisted (the wait continues)

OOP (3rd year)

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 11 VR

ECs: a lot of random things throughout university

Interview: I thought it went really well, second best after mcmaster but hey you never know right.

Congrats to all those who got in and all those waiting like me. For everyone who got rejections, keep your hopes up and keep doing your best!!!

1st time applicant, mature-ish student, very non-traditional student

3.83 wGPA

37 MCAT, 13VR

Overall Academic Review: I was really concerned about this. My transcripts are wildly inconsistent, ranging from Cs, incompletes and withdrawals to straight As. It took me 9 years to finally get my undergrad degree because I was my terminally ill/paraplegic dad's caretaker, and missed a lot of exams in NY when caring for him in Canada. In fact, I was dropped from the university because of this ... and fought my way back in. Wouldn't change that experience for the world though, but certainly was terrified I'd never have a chance to fulfill my medical dreams! Started my master's before finishing undergrad. I had to fight hard to not be thrown out of university because of my inconsistency ... but fight I did, and I am so incredibly honoured and thankful that it paid off now!

EC's: My EC's are my saving grace! Co-founded human rights organization confronting racism and systems of hierarchy in college, half year neurosurgery internship in NYC, founded a rural clinic in central america when I was stranded there, was a paramedic, mental health worker in Vancouver's downtown eastside (intense poverty, mental and physical disability, addictions, etc.), director of homeless soccer league, research in Canada/US/UK, Master's, caretaker for my late paraplegic dad, lots of travel/global perspective, mentor for psychiatry patients reintegrating into society, varsity athlete, companion for quadriplegic youth, etc. Had to work through college, often full time.

MMI: U of C was my second MMI, definitely a lot smoother than the first. Was a lot calmer, more composed, and had a little fun with it. Felt good overall. Brain was fried by the end, so struggled on the last one!

So joyous to have this opportunity! Congratulations to everyone who was offered a place! To those who must try again, believe in yourself, keep growing, and enrich your life for yourself - not for the med school committee. That way when you're accepted, both you and the school will benefit, and you'll have enjoyed your life. If you're pursuing medicine for the right reasons, you'll make it, when the time is right! GOOD LUCK! :)

I wish dad knew it's all okay :):rolleyes:

Applied: UBC, UofC

Interview Invites: UBC, UofC

Post-Interview Acceptance: UofC

Post-Interview Regrets: