Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance letter release date?

9 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

Pretty bold you of you say what I highlighted in your last post. I don't see any evidence of entitlement here, not a single person has said anything dramatic or unwarranted towards the admissions committee. Given the fact that Dal normally releases decisions in March and should have been mostly finished before all this started here in NS, I think everyone's been demonstrating that they understand the circumstances pretty well, considering the significance of decision letters and the fact that other schools in more impacted provinces (McGill) have been able to stay on track with releasing theirs. 

Couldn't agree more. The admission process starts back in August basically and we are told we are going to find out in March. Yes a lot of things have changed due to COVID-19 and there are a lot of more pressing issues in the world at this moment, I understand that. But that still doesn't take away from the fact being accepted into medical school is important for the individual and the healthcare system. I have not seen any sense of entitlement on here whatsoever. Are we tired of waiting? Yes. Are we frustrated with the situation and having very little distractions? Absolutely. But by no means does that mean we are entitled. No individual here is demanding that they know whether they are accepted or not. I think the fact we are all confined to our homes with little else to distract us with is a major contributing factor to the frustrations built up. But this isn't the admissions committees fault, we recognize that this pandemic is completely out of their control. So to be deemed as entitled because we're disappointed that the fate of futures has been delayed for a month is quite uncalled for in my opinion. At no point has anyone blamed or attacked the admissions committee. Obviously we all want them to make the correct decisions when the time comes for admissions letters to be released. It just sucks to have to wait when you originally believed you would know the answer.

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

Acceptances are life changing. And it is good to have a forum where you can tap to others in the same situation and feel supported. But as I said, there are many priorities that med schools have now and only limited capacity to deal with them, and unfortunately acceptances are not as high as other things, and for good reason. This pandemic is life changing, not just to medical students but applicants to all programs, jobs seekers, etc. I just get irked when people are frustrated with admin for a problem they did not create, and it is well within their rights to delay things. I see entitlement a lot in medicine, and I come from a background where that is not present and so I challenge it without hesitation. I too took many years to get where I am, and understand the process is arduous, stressful, long, and bogged down. I wish nothing but the best for all of you, when the time comes. It is not easy for anyone during these times, so lean on family and friends (virtually hah), and try to stay sane as best as possible. We’re all in this together, facing our individual and collective challenges. Again, good luck to y’all.

Totally echo this!! To everyone waiting, just know that all admins and med school staff are incredibly bogged down right now with intradepartmental matters. COVID threw everyone and everything (including all of the med classes) in for a loop :(.

For those of you mentioning McGill, they mark applications very differently. They were on time because the interview is worth 80% of the application and your science pre-req's, which applicants calculate themselves when applying, are worth 20%. These applications take much less time to mark than Dal's so it is understandable that they were able to stay on track. Stay strong and safe everyone, answers will come before you know it.

I think it’s important to be considerate of both sides of this situation. Everyone involved with the medical school is under an undue amount of stress. It’s not unreasonable to complain, whoever you are in this. It’s valid that admissions are delayed, we’re in a global pandemic. It’s also valid to be upset about it, it’s the lifelong dream of most people here. Also, we’ve waited a long time and they were supposed to be almost done. Don’t invalidate how others feel just because admissions are not technically as important as other matters. I think a lot of us have a heavy amount of anxiety due to admissions and it’s unneeded to call people entitled because of it. 

17 hours ago, med1day said:

I was just thinking some of those who have to present a thesis won’t be able to do it on time to qualify now. Is dal med gonna waive those requirements? 

A masters student I know is defending her MSc thesis via Zoom call

17 hours ago, med1day said:

I was just thinking some of those who have to present a thesis won’t be able to do it on time to qualify now. Is dal med gonna waive those requirements? 

I defended my MSc a couple weeks ago via Microsoft Teams, while not ideal, it worked perfectly fine. I also know that for grad students who get into med, they have until July 31st to get their thesis submitted, so still plenty of time, just won't be able to get those last few experiments finished off.

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I defended my MSc a couple weeks ago via Microsoft Teams, while not ideal, it worked perfectly fine. I also know that for grad students who get into med, they have until July 31st to get their thesis submitted, so still plenty of time, just won't be able to get those last few experiments finished off.

Hopefully for their sake they can get everything completed in time. I do not envy the issues that a masters student would encounter during this pandemic.

7 minutes ago, Kidbuu said:

Does anyone know what time of day offers have usually come out?

Just to follow up and for reference for others:

2019: Thursday March 14th about 2 pm

2018: Monday March 5th about 10:15 am

2017:  Tuesday March 14th about 10:50 am

2016: Wednesday March 16th about 9 am

2015: Tuesday March 17th about 11 am

2014: Tuesday March 11th about 12:15 pm

2013: Thursday March 7th about 11 am

2012: Monday March 5th about 12:30 pm

2011: Monday March 7th about 10:15 am

2010: Monday March 15th about 9:45 am

Everything before here goes back to May. Hopefully that ain't us!

3 minutes ago, treasurer said:

I guess not today :( 

Given the severity of the situation I wouldn’t be surprised if the letters were even released at like 3pm, I wouldn’t completely bank on it being in the morning!

Plus based on an email someone got they seem to be working from home, just to add more irregularity to the mix haha

11 minutes ago, Anaik said:

Given the severity of the situation I wouldn’t be surprised if the letters were even released at like 3pm, I wouldn’t completely bank on it being in the morning!

Plus based on an email someone got they seem to be working from home, just to add more irregularity to the mix haha

Hmm.. but I remember the interview emails came out in the morningishh..

As well, so did they respond to emails then?