Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19 Admission Impact

Something I'm a little anxious about is how this pandemic will affect admissions for the class of 2024 across Canada... There has already been delays in decision letters at some schools, I'm wondering if start dates for the class of 2024 will be delayed, or in worst case scenarios if schools will be able to admit students...

Does anyone have any insight on this? Feeling a little bummed out while waiting to hear back from some schools.

20 minutes ago, Angies said:

Okay, where I live, we call it 2020 class :D Universities I applied to said there would for sure be a cohort in 2020.

No worries, I noticed some of the schools in Quebec used that language so I figured :) that’s good to hear 

On 3/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, BarkingOwl said:

Something I'm a little anxious about is how this pandemic will affect admissions for the class of 2024 across Canada... There has already been delays in decision letters at some schools, I'm wondering if start dates for the class of 2024 will be delayed, or in worst case scenarios if schools will be able to admit students...

Does anyone have any insight on this? Feeling a little bummed out while waiting to hear back from some schools.

It’s too soon to have any real insight. All years of medical school are being affected, and this thing has just started. We really don’t know yet what it will look like in August.

That said, the first 1-2 years of medical school are largely classroom based, and it’s likely that any incoming class could be transitioned online much as existing preclerkship classes are being done now. So it’s likely they will still be able to admit the incoming year even if it’s in this new context. 

13 hours ago, frenchpress said:

It’s too soon to have any real insight. All years of medical school are being affected, and this thing has just started. We really don’t know yet what it will look like in August.

That said, the first 1-2 years of medical school are largely classroom based, and it’s likely that any incoming class could be transitioned online much as existing preclerkship classes are being done now. So it’s likely they will still be able to admit the incoming year even if it’s in this new context. 

Just expressing my own opinion here. But I would count on some setup existing where new medical students can start classes. As others mentioned, pre-clerkship is mostly just didactic and group based learning. Most of it could be done online quite well. It will probably be an unusual year. But I have a hard time imagining the stream of new physicians being cut off entirely.  

22 hours ago, rogerroger said:

Just expressing my own opinion here. But I would count on some setup existing where new medical students can start classes. As others mentioned, pre-clerkship is mostly just didactic and group based learning. Most of it could be done online quite well. It will probably be an unusual year. But I have a hard time imagining the stream of new physicians being cut off entirely.  

Tough to imagine indeed. I suppose it’s probably current classes that will be impacted more than the upcoming class.

3 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

I kind of wish we could hear back earlier than May 12. I don't have my hopes up for an acceptance (even a waitlist) by any means but if in the rare occasion that it happens, I'm concerned to how I'll find an apartment and move to a different province with the given situation. Especially if waitlist... less time to figure everything out. :( 

I don't have much hopes up of being accepted either. And I really don't see adcoms across Canada releasing decisions early. They have other things to worry about than pleasing us applicants. 

5 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

I kind of wish we could hear back earlier than May 12. I don't have my hopes up for an acceptance (even a waitlist) by any means but if in the rare occasion that it happens, I'm concerned to how I'll find an apartment and move to a different province with the given situation. Especially if waitlist... less time to figure everything out. :( 

I feel you, I applied to dal in province and they just delayed decision letters for a month. We interviewed in November, so it’s been quite the wait! All we can do is our best to stay patient, as hard as it is...

57 minutes ago, Anaik said:

I feel you, I applied to dal in province and they just delayed decision letters for a month. We interviewed in November, so it’s been quite the wait! All we can do is our best to stay patient, as hard as it is...

Oh no :( im sorry to hear about Dal, that must be so frustrating.

I think I'm just super anxious with everything now because of COVID. I can't work anymore and my partner was laid off so I hope to hear some positive news I guess in May. Just wishing it was earlier so I can have some certainty during a time with so much uncertainty.

12 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

Just wishing it was earlier so I can have some certainty during a time with so much uncertainty.

It almost certainly will not be earlier. UofT today mentioned that they are still planning on releasing decisions on the OMSAS-wide date of May 12th, but that the date could change. They mentioned that it will definitely not be released before this date. 

1 hour ago, theevilsloth said:

It almost certainly will not be earlier. UofT today mentioned that they are still planning on releasing decisions on the OMSAS-wide date of May 12th, but that the date could change. They mentioned that it will definitely not be released before this date. 

Oh wow. Haven't thought of the possibility that it might be delayed. Oh man.

13 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

Oh no :( im sorry to hear about Dal, that must be so frustrating.

I think I'm just super anxious with everything now because of COVID. I can't work anymore and my partner was laid off so I hope to hear some positive news I guess in May. Just wishing it was earlier so I can have some certainty during a time with so much uncertainty.

That’s so tough, I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family are making out okay despite all the adversity. I’ll be rooting for you when results come out!!

Just now, pwguy said:

Did any other schools delay as well? Did MUN delay?

MUN releases their results one pool at a time. Mid March they released results for in province (Newfoundland) students. Next will be NB and PEI in April. And May is for OOP and international students