Premed 101 Forums

What was the point of that email from McMaster?

To play advocate here for MacMaster:

1. Tells everyone that they're using the 2019-2020 application and offers are planned to go out as scheduled. (Reassurance of some normalcy.)

2. Address questions I'm sure they've already received dozens of emails on at once instead of using valuable time responding individually. 

Whether this is a good use of an email is up to everyone to decide. Yes, seeing the name of a school you applied to is like an Adrenalin shot and adds stress, but at least they're doing some communicating. 

Now, if they could send out the campus selection form, it would be nice. I can understand why they'd send it out alter (not wanting to throw multiple messages into one email). 

Mac emailed all their "interviewees" to let us know that our applications are being reviewed with checks and balances and statistical analysis and everything is still on schedule. 

They also addressed P/F and courses for conditional 3rd year offers (the courses count, it's just the grades that don't if they are all P/F or some are P/F). 

Pretty standard stuff, but frustrating for some who are expecting the campus selection form right around now. 

6 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Mac emailed all their "interviewees" to let us know that our applications are being reviewed with checks and balances and statistical analysis and everything is still on schedule. 

They also addressed P/F and courses for conditional 3rd year offers (the courses count, it's just the grades that don't if they are all P/F or some are P/F). 

Pretty standard stuff, but frustrating for some who are expecting the campus selection form right around now. 

Thanks. Wonder why they haven't disclosed their formula for applicants who didn't do an interview

1 hour ago, omentum said:

Thanks. Wonder why they haven't disclosed their formula for applicants who didn't do an interview

It was implied based on the email that they haven't figured out the formula yet. They made it sound like they're currently doing tests to figure out what the fairest option is, and they will let us know (hopefully) once they do create the formula

1 minute ago, short_stack said:

seriously doubt it because they don't (as far as I know) have a standardised, validated system for evaluating those things competitively. plz correct me if i'm wrong lol

references is more plausible than sketch IMO, because they're mandatory and help evaluate the traits that interviews look for.

Just now, FBCforreal said:

references is more plausible than sketch IMO, because they're mandatory and help evaluate the traits that interviews look for.

Yeah, maybe. I just feel that if they look at ABS it might seem unfair because it's not even remotely similar to previous years, and it's unfair for candidates who were rejected before the interview? idk 

5 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Yeah, maybe. I just feel that if they look at ABS it might seem unfair because it's not even remotely similar to previous years, and it's unfair for candidates who were rejected before the interview? idk 

I mean this whole situation is unfair, many people who could have stood out through in-person MMIs can no longer do that. What makes me think ABS is bc they are consulting with "admissions colleagues across Canada", so they might consider including ABS. Since almost every other school requires some insight on applicant's ECs

Just now, MDrapper said:

I mean this whole situation is unfair, many people who could have stood out through in-person MMIs can no longer do that. What makes me think ABS is bc they are consulting with "admissions colleagues across Canada", so they might consider including ABS. 

Lol I know it's unfair for everyone but they have to maintain a certain amount of fairness on their end. There might be people in the interview candidates pool who applied to Mac because they don't have very strong ABS, knowing that Mac doesn't really assess ABS competitively. Suddenly throwing those people under the bus is very unfair.

Different schools may have their own rationale for why they assess whatever they assess. I really don't see Mac pulling in the ABS when this could be their chance to prove how CASPer has predictive value in MMI performance or eventual MD competency. Obviously not to say that they'd necessarily weigh CASPer the most, but I really don't think they'll rely on another school for determining how to competitively assess ABS, instead of using what they themselves developed, know, and trust. But I guess we'll see :(

16 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Lol I know it's unfair for everyone but they have to maintain a certain amount of fairness on their end. There might be people in the interview candidates pool who applied to Mac because they don't have very strong ABS, knowing that Mac doesn't really assess ABS competitively. Suddenly throwing those people under the bus is very unfair.

Different schools may have their own rationale for why they assess whatever they assess. I really don't see Mac pulling in the ABS when this could be their chance to prove how CASPer has predictive value in MMI performance or eventual MD competency. Obviously not to say that they'd necessarily weigh CASPer the most, but I really don't think they'll rely on another school for determining how to competitively assess ABS, instead of using what they themselves developed, know, and trust. But I guess we'll see :(

I see what you mean, and yeah it it may not feel fair in that lens. It's just that I don't see how MCAT, GPA and Casper can give sufficient insight on an applicant for who they are as a final admission offer, while ECs can add so much more information. Keep in mind that when consulting other colleagues across Canada, new perspectives and parameters can possibly be influenced and incorporated. But that is just my personal bias, and perhaps Mac can figure out a way to properly use MCAT/GPA/Casper/Reference letters alone to gauge an applicant properly.

31 minutes ago, MDrapper said:

I see what you mean, and yeah it it may not feel fair in that lens. It's just that I don't see how MCAT, GPA and Casper can give sufficient insight on an applicant for who they are as a final admission offer, while ECs can add so much more information. Keep in mind that when consulting other colleagues across Canada, new perspectives and parameters can possibly be influenced and incorporated. But that is just my personal bias, and perhaps Mac can figure out a way to properly use MCAT/GPA/Casper/Reference letters alone to gauge an applicant properly.

Yeah I understand your perspective too. I just think that Mac has a certain MO, almost. They developed the CASPer and the MMI, both of which ask you to deeply reflect on experiences you might have had. They don't really care what the experience itself was, but rather what you got out of it, what you learnt, etc. This shows they are interested in assessing your ability to engage in self-directed learning and self-reflection, which are critically important parts of their medical curriculum. It seems very unlikely to me that they would abandon this in favour of objectively evaluating someone's concrete experiences, because it seems they value what you can show you got from whatever EC you did, more than the actual EC itself.

Of course, this is a very unique situation and they might feel they have no choice but to do what some of the other programs do, but Mac's curriculum and program delivery is incredibly unique. They want to see whether you have some of the qualities that go into becoming a great physician, but they also have to see if you would be a good fit to their unique program. I think it would be difficult for them to adopt another school's assessment strategy if the programs are so vastly different. (edit: i'm probably overthinking this )

Whatever ends up happening, I just hope they tell us lol

if they look at ABS that'd be unfortunate for some, but not completely unfair. you can't realistically expect to get into the 1 school that you apply to. if you're on OMSAS you should probably fill out a sketch and do it the best you can

regardless, there isn't nearly enough time to find scorers to evaluate 500 sketches each with 25+ entries. it's just not possible IMO lol. 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:18 PM, swoman said:

It's going to be some combination of the pre-interview formula weighed differently I imagine. CARS, cGPA, CASPer, Graduate degree, that's it. That's all they have to work with. 

Agreed - and not much variation. They will not try anything radical, no chance of introduction of new criteria, no attempt to make this the year to showcase CASPer as definitive - previous years' offers might be used, they will try and create more of the same.