Premed 101 Forums

Verifier Contacting

12 minutes ago, Babyyoda4 said:

I did not have any of my verifiers contacted that I know of  and I am also pretty sure I would meet GPA and MCAT cutoffs. My friend who has a lower GPA and similar mcat score had one of their verifiers contacted. 

I'm thinking it's likely random then and/or they're contacting verifiers on a rolling basis

Hi!! I was accepted to Western and never had any of my verifiers contacted. I mean it's possible that the process changes year to year but just wanted to try to relieve some stress - I'm pretty sure it's random and not a sign that you won't be invited to interview if that's what you're thinking :) best of luck with the cycle! 

2 hours ago, CHG said:

Hi!! I was accepted to Western and never had any of my verifiers contacted. I mean it's possible that the process changes year to year but just wanted to try to relieve some stress - I'm pretty sure it's random and not a sign that you won't be invited to interview if that's what you're thinking :) best of luck with the cycle! 

I'd be lying if I said that isn't the thought in the back of my mind but that's comforting to hear! Western is probably my best shot aside from Mac so I'm really crossing my fingers to get an interview there

16 hours ago, corgi321 said:

I'd be lying if I said that isn't the thought in the back of my mind but that's comforting to hear! Western is probably my best shot aside from Mac so I'm really crossing my fingers to get an interview there

Curious as to why this is? Mac is my best shot but Western I'm much more worried about due to their heavy focus on ECs, unlike Mac which doesn't look at them at all.

2 hours ago, AB27 said:

Curious as to why this is? Mac is my best shot but Western I'm much more worried about due to their heavy focus on ECs, unlike Mac which doesn't look at them at all.

Feel like my ECs are a strong point of my application, plus my last two years were by far my best & I qualified for ACCESS as well

But I also did exceptionally well in CARS which is why Mac is my other best shot haha

Just now, corgi321 said:

Feel like my ECs are a strong point of my application, plus my last two years were by far my best & I qualified for ACCESS as well

But I also did exceptionally well in CARS which is why Mac is my other best shot haha

Ah ok I felt like I was missing something haha. Best of luck w your apps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, PreMed#219099 said:

Does anyone know if Western reaches out to applicants in the case that verifiers don't respond because they miss the email? 

I don't have a definitive answer, but one of my verifiers contacted me a few days ago to tell me that he had completed the verification form 1-2 weeks after the deadline they had given him to complete it. For those 1-2 weeks, admissions could have thought that my verifier missed/ignored the verification form, but I was not contacted. 

Also, I'm not sure if I saw it here or elsewhere, but what do you all think of the idea that they would only contact the verifiers of applicants who met this years cut-offs? Western states on their website that "Only academically competitive applications proceed to non-academic assessment, consisting of review of the Western Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch and Confidential Assessment Forms."

What do you all think? :) 

9 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

I don't have a definitive answer, but one of my verifiers contacted me a few days ago to tell me that he had completed the verification form 1-2 weeks after the deadline they had given him to complete it. For those 1-2 weeks, admissions could have thought that my verifier missed/ignored the verification form, but I was not contacted. 

Also, I'm not sure if I saw it here or elsewhere, but what do you all think of the idea that they would only contact the verifiers of applicants who met this years cut-offs? Western states on their website that "Only academically competitive applications proceed to non-academic assessment, consisting of review of the Western Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch and Confidential Assessment Forms."

What do you all think? :) 

I was wondering the same thing! 

I think it's a good sign, and indicative that you have passed academic cut-offs (for whatever stream you are in). From the perspective of the adcoms, I don't see the point in reaching out to verifiers if they haven't assessed whether or not the applicant in question has met cutoffs. It's more work and a waste of time. So, I think your interpretation is correct, since I imagine they would narrow the pool down before actually reading our essays/verifiers :)