Premed 101 Forums

Interview invitation soon, is it possible?

elime

Hello!

Mcgill invitation for interview are coming in one week and I was wondering, for people who already lived this experience and apply more than one time. It's my second time applying and last year I was rank 350ish. This year, I prepared more for the Casper (didn't prepare last year), and upgraded my EC. I am an IP applicant second year master. So my question is, do you think, considering my rank last year, that I could have a chance to be invite for the interview? C'est-tu déjà arriver à quelqu'un? To pass from a certain rank and then go higher and get the interview? Désolé pour mon anglais, french québécoise :) 

Thank you and all the best luck to everyone!!! 

Hi, 

Yes, it is definitely possible. I applied 2 years ago with very low rank...maybe 150ish(I forget exactly) and last year I was waitlisted at 21st place after interviews (for outaouais campus). Unfortunately I did not get in, but it is a definite improvement. I would say however, it all depends on what was causing your rank to be lower; for me, it was my pre-req courses, which I redid and boosted my grades therefore giving me a better chance and higher rank.

Hope thid helps.

Thank you!! yeah it help! 

It's really disappointing that you didn't get it :( Are you trying again this year? Knowing that you upgrade a lot, you would have more chances this year!? And considering that this year, the pre-req are not considered anymore! 

I forgot to mention that I didn't get the interview last year I was 350ish/788

48 minutes ago, Médicomage said:

The OOP spots are mostly for Sherbrooke and their Moncton campus.

Yup, each year around 27-30 people are accepted at their Moncton campus alone, and a several people (3-4 people) at their Sherbrooke campus. There are a several more accepted at other French schools (around 5-6 people? not sure), and the rest are attributed to McGill.

Maybe a bit late to reply to this thread but: 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:53 PM, elime said:

Hello!

Mcgill invitation for interview are coming in one week and I was wondering, for people who already lived this experience and apply more than one time. It's my second time applying and last year I was rank 350ish. This year, I prepared more for the Casper (didn't prepare last year), and upgraded my EC. I am an IP applicant second year master. So my question is, do you think, considering my rank last year, that I could have a chance to be invite for the interview? C'est-tu déjà arriver à quelqu'un? To pass from a certain rank and then go higher and get the interview? Désolé pour mon anglais, french québécoise :) 

Thank you and all the best luck to everyone!!! 

Definitely possible! This is my third time applying, and just to give you an idea, the first time around I applied during my last year of undergrad and ranked in the bottom third of applicants (550/819 or something like that, don't remember exactly). The second time I applied (which was last year), I ended up getting an interview and placed high on the waitlist (which suuuucked emotionally, but it just shows you can improve like crazy just by doing a masters' and boosting your Casper score a little :) !). My pre-reqs were really really low, but they don't count this year post-interview so if you're in the same boat, that's something to look forward to if everything works out! 

Best of luck to you, don't lose hope. 

2 minutes ago, votan said:

Maybe a bit late to reply to this thread but: 

Definitely possible! This is my third time applying, and just to give you an idea, the first time around I applied during my last year of undergrad and ranked in the bottom third of applicants (550/819 or something like that, don't remember exactly). The second time I applied (which was last year), I ended up getting an interview and placed high on the waitlist (which suuuucked emotionally, but it just shows you can improve like crazy just by doing a masters' and boosting your Casper score a little :) !). My pre-reqs were really really low, but they don't count this year post-interview so if you're in the same boat, that's something to look forward to if everything works out! 

Best of luck to you, don't lose hope. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It gives me a little hope:D 

And good luck to you too!!!!!

hey ! If it can give you hope, I applied 2 times at McGill. First time, I had no interview (I don't know my rank). Second time, which is last year, I had an interview. I was really (really !) surprised... nothing had really changed, I had the same GPA (3.81, if I remember properly) and the same pre-reqs. My CV changed, but really slightly. 

Maybe my casper was not good the first time, but I doubt it since I had interviews at other schools... I thought maybe I had and interview the second time because I'm from Outaouais and they were opening the new campus ?

Same thing happened for my friend last year, he too was really surprised to get an interview the third time he applied when basically his stats were the same... and lucky him, he was accepted !!!

i send you love and good vibes ! don't lose hope :wub:  lâche pas la patate ! c'est duuurrrr mais ça va en valoir la peine ! 

oh guys and I just saw a post on the «invitations 2021» thread, where Ks_10 says that he «was refused and ranked in the 900's for IP last year. The only change was starting my masters so I guess my academic context improved? and maybe my casper was much better?» This year, he is invited to the interviews.

see ! don't lose hope okay ! :wub: