Premed 101 Forums

POC student experience at UBC med

Hi everyone, 

I apologize in advance as my post might touch on some sensitive topics but I would genuinely appreciate it if someone could shed some insight. 

As a first gen immigrant, I lived in quite a few Canadian cities across the country. I have always felt so blessed to be a resident of this accepting and diverse country. However this kind of changed after I moved to Vancouver about 2 years ago, and I have never felt so isolated. It was hard to make friends, and people don't seem to like me. I have experienced my first incidences of racism ever since I landed in this country, a stranger called me stupid on the street and someone told me I would never get into medical school because of my ethnicity. As an immigrant, I don't have my family here nor many close friends. I am confused, scared that life will go on like this. I feel hopeless and I do not know who to talk to. 

I am extremely fortunate to have gotten an interview at UBC, I would love if some current students could shed some light on your experience as a POC at UBC and in Vancouver/BC. Did you have a hard time making friends in and out of school? Have you ever felt so alienated? Do you only become friends with others of your own background? Do you ever get left out because you are not "white" enough? Will my ethnicity become a barrier in residency applications or when applying for staff positions? Are things gonna get better? 

I am so sorry for bringing up a personal issue and I will delete if it is not appropriate. But some honest advice would be very helpful.

I'm also not in med school but I grew up in Vancouver and did my undergrad at UBC. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience in Vancouver!!

I would say my science program at UBC was ~50% POC. I found most students who were first gen immigrants were able to find community at UBC and there were lots of cliques of folks who immigrated from the same/similar countries. There are lots of cultural clubs and such to facilitate this community-building. I personally didn't experience any exclusivity issues. The majority of my friends were also POC and I really appreciated that the diversity of students at UBC allowed for this (not that I was specifically seeking POC friends but it just ended up that way and I appreciate having friends who can share in that part of my identity). I was heavily involved in residence/clubs as well which helped me make friends :) I would second the bit about steering clear of Greek life. Overall, I had an overwhelmingly positive experience at UBC, appreciated the diversity of cultures, and would love to return for med school. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not in medicine but I have finished my MSc in faculty of medicine at UBC last year. I am also POC as far as it get I guess. I immigrated from a middle eastern country (completed my undergrad there) and then came to Canada for my MSc. I also have a noticeable accent. The thing about the grad school is that there are tons of international students in your classes or your lab, which makes it easier to socialize with people from different backgrounds. Grad students are also less cliquey and more accepting, probably because they are coming from different parts of the country and don't have many friends either so they are more open to making friends. That being said, I didn't have success in making "weekend friends" or "friends friends" while being in school. I didn't have any luck in finding dates either and everyone I met was through Tinder :D Most interactions, although warm and friendly, were confined to the chitchats in our breaks in the lab or during classes. Was I prejudiced for being a foreigner and POC? I don't know, maybe. Do I just suck at making friends and it has nothing to do with my ethnicity? maybe. The thing is that it is hard to say these things for sure. I never had anyone says anything rude to me or make me less welcome and most people I interacted with treated me with a reciprocal respect. I think this city and especially UBC is full of positive and helpful people and it is important to give everyone a chance and also take initiative. Many people are just shy. just asking someone to a coffee or asking about their days go a long way IMO.  I have friends from different ethnicities, friends from Africa, from China, and also white Canadian friends, here and honestly when I talk to them I don't even think that that we are "different". You don't need to be liked by everyone. just try to find positive people who would like to be around you and support you as you would do the same for them.