Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 11/3/2021 at 12:19 AM, Physio19 said:

Hi guys so I took just one course over a summer term, I was recently talking to a fellow applicant who told me that a course taken by itself does not count towards my sub-gpa. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this because I wasn't able to find anything stating such rule on ORPAS?

I believe it does! 

On 11/2/2021 at 11:19 PM, Physio19 said:

Hi guys so I took just one course over a summer term, I was recently talking to a fellow applicant who told me that a course taken by itself does not count towards my sub-gpa. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this because I wasn't able to find anything stating such rule on ORPAS?

try msging ORPAS through SAM to be sure! 

22 hours ago, PT2022-- said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a quick question, theres two programs we can apply to two different streams: the BSC rehab science in pT or master of science applied in physical therapy. 

Does anyone know which one we select?

Sorry I meant to write MCGIll University

Hello everyone! This may sound like a silly question, but I am intrigued. For the schools that require references, how do they differentiate between an academic reference and a professional reference? For example, what if one's professional reference was working at a university, and the referees email address was through that university? From this, I can assume that all referees recieve the same assessment form to complete? 

1 hour ago, Ot2022 said:

Hello everyone! This may sound like a silly question, but I am intrigued. For the schools that require references, how do they differentiate between an academic reference and a professional reference? For example, what if one's professional reference was working at a university, and the referees email address was through that university? From this, I can assume that all referees recieve the same assessment form to complete? 

Usually the reference forms ask for the relationship to the student... if they were your professor or supervisor, how long they've known you, etc. I don't think the email is what determines the difference. 

Hi everyone!

I’m going to be graduating next semester and I’m applying to OT schools for the first time. I go to a university in BC but not UBC. Someone that attends UBC told me that they prioritized their own UBC students, but that was the first time I’ve heard of this. Does anyone know if this is true or have heard similar? 

Hi everyone!

I’m going to be graduating next semester and I’m applying to OT schools for the first time. I go to a university in BC but not UBC. Someone that attends UBC told me that they prioritize their own UBC students when it comes to admission in the MOT program, but that was the first time I’ve heard of this. I know that Dalhousie prioritizes Atlantic students and Manitoba prioritizes students from Manitoba and Saskatchewan, but this is the first time I’ve heard of students getting prioritized due to their institution and not province. Does anyone know if this is true or have heard similar? 

45 minutes ago, Storie555 said:

Hi everyone!

I’m going to be graduating next semester and I’m applying to OT schools for the first time. I go to a university in BC but not UBC. Someone that attends UBC told me that they prioritize their own UBC students when it comes to admission in the MOT program, but that was the first time I’ve heard of this. I know that Dalhousie prioritizes Atlantic students and Manitoba prioritizes students from Manitoba and Saskatchewan, but this is the first time I’ve heard of students getting prioritized due to their institution and not province. Does anyone know if this is true or have heard similar? 

I’ve read on the UBC Physiotherapy website that they prioritize BC residents. It did not specify that they prioritize UBC students 

12 hours ago, dentistry_hopeful said:

If your still taking classes in the fall this semester. Do I wait till I get my marks back before I upload my transcripts?

I was confused by this too. There is an option to request transcript immediately and another to request at end of fall term. I am uncertain which is the correct choice. 

1 minute ago, Ot2022 said:

I was confused by this too. There is an option to request transcript immediately and another to request at end of fall term. I am uncertain which is the correct choice. 

If you are currently enrolled in fall classes, pick the option that says "request at end of fall term", so those grades get sent to the schools

On 11/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, Storie555 said:

Hi everyone!

They prioritize BC residents but not individuals who have been to UBC before.

Hi guys! 

I'm planning to apply to OT and in 3rd year I took 4 courses each semester and 2 courses in the summer. In 4th year I took 4 courses one semester, 5 courses the second semester and 1 course in the summer. I was wondering if UofT and McMasters OT program looks at the number of courses you have taken or if they prefer candidates with 5 courses each semester?

For anyone applying in the 2022 cycle did you only take 5 courses each semester or did it vary for you too? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :) 

5 hours ago, noor532 said:

Hi guys! 

I'm planning to apply to OT and in 3rd year I took 4 courses each semester and 2 courses in the summer. In 4th year I took 4 courses one semester, 5 courses the second semester and 1 course in the summer. I was wondering if UofT and McMasters OT program looks at the number of courses you have taken or if they prefer candidates with 5 courses each semester?

For anyone applying in the 2022 cycle did you only take 5 courses each semester or did it vary for you too? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :) 

You are fine :) They are aware of different educational paths and many have not taken full course loads and have taken courses over the summer. This does not matter at all as long as you have your degree. However, you will need to prove you are prepared to take on a full course load in the masters degree. UofT expects a resume, so assuming you worked during your undergrad, it can always be the reason why you only took 4 courses per semester to lessen the load. Otherwise 4 courses per semester is still considered full-time, and there is nothing wrong with it :) Good luck!! 

28 minutes ago, OT_IWILLBE said:

You are fine :) They are aware of different educational paths and many have not taken full course loads and have taken courses over the summer. This does not matter at all as long as you have your degree. However, you will need to prove you are prepared to take on a full course load in the masters degree. UofT expects a resume, so assuming you worked during your undergrad, it can always be the reason why you only took 4 courses per semester to lessen the load. Otherwise 4 courses per semester is still considered full-time, and there is nothing wrong with it :) Good luck!! 

Thank you!! 

4 hours ago, OT_IWILLBE said:

Do you know if UofT requries a resume for physiotherapy? as of now when i log onto ORPAS, toronto is only looking at prereqs and the casper, no other section available to submit anything else 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, Storie555 said:

Hi everyone!

I’m going to be graduating next semester and I’m applying to OT schools for the first time. I go to a university in BC but not UBC. Someone that attends UBC told me that they prioritized their own UBC students, but that was the first time I’ve heard of this. Does anyone know if this is true or have heard similar? 

This is not true! They do not prioritize UBC students. If you look at the admission criteria it states that "preference of admission is given to residents of British Columbia" and you need to verify by providing a BC Services Card. So as long as you live in British Columbia you should technically have a better chance of getting in. 

https://osot.ubc.ca/prospective-students/master-of-occupational-therapy/admission-requirements/