Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

12 hours ago, PT_EP said:

For those who also wrote Casper tonight, feel free to message me with your thoughts. I would love to chat :) I'm just glad it's over with now!

That was the dumbest assessment of my entire life! LOL. I am uncertain where the "research" comes from, but im highly skeptical it accurately determines somebody's characteristics. 

Hi all! For those applying to Mac PT, did anyone use a Psychology course as their Humanities/Social Science prerequisite? 

Right now I have a Psychology course, which is stated as an eligible course, but this is under the Faculty of Science at my school. However, Mac's website says this "To meet this pre-requisite requirement, the course should also fall under the Faculty/Department of Humanities or Social Science at your home university."

I can't call Mac right now due to the lockdowns so if anyone has any guidance please help!

*EDIT: For anyone in the same boat - I found emails from applying a previous year and was told Psychology is not acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Ot2022 said:

That was the dumbest assessment of my entire life! LOL. I am uncertain where the "research" comes from, but im highly skeptical it accurately determines somebody's characteristics. 

Lol, I'm truly unsure of how I did. I was able to get at least 2/3 questions completed with depth and substance. I also prepared for the test, although always got cut off on the third question due to lack of timing. I agree with it being an inaccurate way of testing, especially with the alloted 5 minute time frame. I doubt in real life scenarios will we have '5 minutes' to reflect on a problem and come up with a solution. At least give us time to write our comprehension to the fullest ability. Even 2 more minutes would have done wonders. This is simply just a speed typing test ugh.

39 minutes ago, OT_IWILLBE said:

Lol, I'm truly unsure of how I did. I was able to get at least 2/3 questions completed with depth and substance. I also prepared for the test, although always got cut off on the third question due to lack of timing. I agree with it being an inaccurate way of testing, especially with the alloted 5 minute time frame. I doubt in real life scenarios will we have '5 minutes' to reflect on a problem and come up with a solution. At least give us time to write our comprehension to the fullest ability. Even 2 more minutes would have done wonders. This is simply just a speed typing test ugh.

Did you get the question about what the last thing you would do on earth would be? Seems a tad unreasonable to expect someone to answer that in that short timeframe.

I cannot believe this is my life right now. I applied for a transcript request early, have everything sorted. There was a glitch with my universities system so 2/5 of my course grades are below my actual grade. 

Both professors have told me that this will take several weeks to correct. Meaning that my transcript will not be sent to the schools before the due date. What do I do!? I've tried telling the profs this

4 hours ago, Ot2022 said:

I cannot believe this is my life right now. I applied for a transcript request early, have everything sorted. There was a glitch with my universities system so 2/5 of my course grades are below my actual grade. 

Both professors have told me that this will take several weeks to correct. Meaning that my transcript will not be sent to the schools before the due date. What do I do!? I've tried telling the profs this

When you submit your application it says "Applicants are responsible for reporting any required changes to their academic record by February 16, 2021. Any questions or concerns regarding your GPA should be communicated to ORPAS via Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM)". So I guess as long as they have updated it by February 16th you should be able to get your GPA updated? That should be plenty of time for the grades to get corrected. I'd send a message through SAM before you submit just to make sure and ask how to report changes. Good luck! This really sucks but hopefully you can get it fixed easily

5 hours ago, Ot2022 said:

Transcripts are also not due until January 31st. So if you can contact your school registrars office, then they may be able to put a rush on?

Random midnight thought before ORPAS are due tomorrow - What is a good length for the personal responses? I know they give a max of 5000-6000 words depending on the school.. but I find I can't write more than 1500 words (if that) without being too wordy. Is it better to just be straight to the point and not worry about length? 

1 hour ago, dib1141 said:

Random midnight thought before ORPAS are due tomorrow - What is a good length for the personal responses? I know they give a max of 5000-6000 words depending on the school.. but I find I can't write more than 1500 words (if that) without being too wordy. Is it better to just be straight to the point and not worry about length? 

I think it's 5000 characters actually, which hopefully makes it better! I personally don't think there's any right length. I agree with being straight to the point but make sure you can still explain your answer thoroughly using your experiences if that makes sense :)

Kind of off-topic but I'm having a crisis right now over choosing classes for my last semester. I need to choose between an easier class or a tougher class about rehabilitative therapy. The second class seems like it would carry over well to future studies and I am very interested in it. However I am also feeling a little bit burnt out and I would be nice to take it easy in my last semester. What would you do? I'm torn.

30 minutes ago, EWPT said:

Kind of off-topic but I'm having a crisis right now over choosing classes for my last semester. I need to choose between an easier class or a tougher class about rehabilitative therapy. The second class seems like it would carry over well to future studies and I am very interested in it. However I am also feeling a little bit burnt out and I would be nice to take it easy in my last semester. What would you do? I'm torn.

That's a tough question! One nice thing is that your marks from your final semester of undergrad matter very little if you manage to get into the program this year, as they basically just look to see that you've maintained their minimum requirements. It sounds like you really want to take the rehab therapy course, and the knowledge you gain from that class would be useful in your future studies. As well, if you're really interested in the subject you'll probably be more motivated to attend class and do the work. However, I completely understand burnout, and if you really feel that taking the easier class is the better option then you will have lots of opportunity to learn about rehab therapy in the future.

I hope that helped you sort things out a bit! Best of luck in your final semester.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:03 PM, DreamPT said:

Hi all! For those applying to Mac PT, did anyone use a Psychology course as their Humanities/Social Science prerequisite? 

Right now I have a Psychology course, which is stated as an eligible course, but this is under the Faculty of Science at my school. However, Mac's website says this "To meet this pre-requisite requirement, the course should also fall under the Faculty/Department of Humanities or Social Science at your home university."

I can't call Mac right now due to the lockdowns so if anyone has any guidance please help!

*EDIT: For anyone in the same boat - I found emails from applying a previous year and was told Psychology is not acceptable. 

I put a psychology class for my Mac PT prereq based on this document that Mac has on their website: https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/docs/librariesprovider123/admissions/humanities-and-social-science-pre-requisite---updated-april-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=2f966e73_2 but mine was with the department of psych so idk if that makes it more relevant. But if you have other humanities/social science courses I would go with that! 

3 hours ago, PTTT said:

Hi! For anyone applying to McMaster PT, does it also say for you that you're missing a human anatomy pre-req? I have already entered 3 units of anatomy and 3 units of physiology so I'm confused as to why this is the case.

I also had this and messaged ORPAS through SAM. They confirmed that as long as you meet the requirements that each school sets out on the website then you are okay and can ignore the warning. 

1 hour ago, PFPT said:

I put a psychology class for my Mac PT prereq based on this document that Mac has on their website: https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/docs/librariesprovider123/admissions/humanities-and-social-science-pre-requisite---updated-april-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=2f966e73_2 but mine was with the department of psych so idk if that makes it more relevant. But if you have other humanities/social science courses I would go with that! 

Yes! Sorry I should’ve clarified. I believe my psychology was not acceptable because it wasn’t under the appropriate department. I used English instead to meet the prerequisite requirement :)

6 hours ago, DreamPT said:

Just to confirm - our Casper test is linked with our ORPAS application through our email?

Hey so I asked Altus and they said that Queen's PT requires your ORPAS ID, it's on the dates and fees page (https://takealtus.com/dates-times/). You just have to use the chat function on Altus and tell the representative your ORPAS ID and they can add it to your account! You can try adding it on your own if you go to your account then click "IDs", but I wasn't able to do that!

45 minutes ago, headoverheelsPT said:

Hey so I asked Altus and they said that Queen's PT requires your ORPAS ID, it's on the dates and fees page (https://takealtus.com/dates-times/). You just have to use the chat function on Altus and tell the representative your ORPAS ID and they can add it to your account! You can try adding it on your own if you go to your account then click "IDs", but I wasn't able to do that!

On the Casper site, I only see a slot for the "phone number" but if I edit it says "ID". Is that where I input the ORPAS ID? Also, did you just put the last 6 digits of your reference numbers or you input the digits that come before the hyphen? (ex. xxxx-xxxxxx)

1 minute ago, CanPhysio9000 said:

On the Casper site, I only see a slot for the "phone number" but if I edit it says "ID". Is that where I input the ORPAS ID? Also, did you just put the last 6 digits of your reference numbers or you input the digits that come before the hyphen? (ex. xxxx-xxxxxx)

Hey! When I inputted it, I added the full 10 digits without the dash between the year and your unique 6 digit number.

I did not know we have to add our orpas id on the Casper website.  

my ouac ID is 4 digits, a dash, then 7 digits.

problem is I can’t figure out how to add the ouac ID.  When I click on IDs on it says “no ID is needed” and if I try to edit my phone number it doesn’t switch to ID as another poster mentioned.