Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

33 minutes ago, PTHopeful12 said:

I saw in a previous message that Dalhousie can be notoriously slow, but if my references/transcripts don’t look like it’s been received based on the Dalhousie website but I have confirmed with my university and references that they have sent it… should I trust that I won’t be penalized? 

If you check on the FGS Dalhousie website https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon click on your 2022/2023 application under processed applications it will say if Dalhousie has received your academic references + transcript and the date they received it. Worst case email Kelly, hope that helps!

Hi guys, 

I am a first time applicant (PT @UBC, ORPAS, Dal). I have no clue where I stand and was wondering if anyone had any insight? I know that there are a lot of super cool and intelligent people out there who are also applying, just don't want to get confident if I don't really have a competitive application (saves me heartbreak)  

sGPA: ~3.81/4

Caspr: 4th quartile 

Personal: 600+ hours at local hospital, 600+ hours working with children with diverse abilities, started 2 projects at the hospital, laser tech at physio clinic

References: 2 prof's and the person who oversaw me working with children of diverse abilities

I will appreciate any and all feedback, good luck to you all :)

1 hour ago, LETSGOPT2022 said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea how to attach my ORPAS account to CASPER? I've heard that it is done through the ID tab, but all I'm getting is "No ID's required at this time. Select a program on the reservations page."

Anyone having the same issue? Thanks for the input!!

I did it using the orange messenger box on the Altus/CASPer site. Once I was connected with someone, I sent my OUAC reference number and told them it was for ORPAS. It was added to the ID tab by the end of the day. Hope that helps :) 

On 1/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, PT2022- said:

Hi guys, 

I am a first time applicant (PT @UBC, ORPAS, Dal). I have no clue where I stand and was wondering if anyone had any insight? I know that there are a lot of super cool and intelligent people out there who are also applying, just don't want to get confident if I don't really have a competitive application (saves me heartbreak)  

sGPA: ~3.81/4

Caspr: 4th quartile 

Personal: 600+ hours at local hospital, 600+ hours working with children with diverse abilities, started 2 projects at the hospital, laser tech at physio clinic

References: 2 prof's and the person who oversaw me working with children of diverse abilities

I will appreciate any and all feedback, good luck to you all :)

You look like you are in great shape for UBC!  This program looks for diverse experiences and good grades (I think I had a 3.9ish), so I think you are in really good shape, especially with your hours of experience.  I had barely any hours of volunteering (I just made the cutoff), but really good grades, strong references, and a strong casper and I got in my first try!  I also had an arts degree so I imagine they held me to slightly different standards for grades tbh.  I know the MMI is really important, so if you are offered one, make sure to practice with lots of different people.  For my interview, I tried to focus on showing how I could consider multiple opinions (but still have my own) and how to model a growth and learning mindset (which you have to have for PT).  After assessing everything, it sounds like they always come back to grades for final cuts.

Let me know if you have other questions about UBC-MPT:)

17 minutes ago, ptstudent_2500 said:

You look like you are in great shape for UBC!  This program looks for diverse experiences and good grades (I think I had a 3.9ish), so I think you are in really good shape, especially with your hours of experience.  I had barely any hours of volunteering (I just made the cutoff), but really good grades, strong references, and a strong casper and I got in my first try!  I also had an arts degree so I imagine they held me to slightly different standards for grades tbh.  I know the MMI is really important, so if you are offered one, make sure to practice with lots of different people.  For my interview, I tried to focus on showing how I could consider multiple opinions (but still have my own) and how to model a growth and learning mindset (which you have to have for PT).  After assessing everything, it sounds like they always come back to grades for final cuts.

Thank you so much! I will be graduating with a BSc-biology specialized in cell bio and would really like to get into UBC! I have heard that the MMI is important and you made some great points about being able to have different outlooks. I appreciate the advice, hopefully I'll be contacting you near the end of Feb after UBC sends out their interview invites. Stay safe! 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, PT_EP said:

Applied (PT): UofT, Mac, Queens and Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: based on my calculations, c-gpa = 3.70 s-gpa = 3.88 or 3.89 (depends if they count my research practicum or not) 

CASPer quartile: 4th

Perceived strengths of essays/interviews/references:

- My academic reference was a professor who supervised my NSERC USRA and that I've had for multiple classes, including my practicum course which involves instructing group fitness classes for individuals with Parkinson's disease and examining the effect of these classes on their mental health. I believe this reference was strong as I've worked with her consistently throughout the past year. 

- My professional reference was a physiotherapist I shadowed and is a recent Queen's PT graduate. I only shadowed for 55 hours at this clinic, so I'm unsure how strong this reference will be.

- I feel confident about my personal statements, but who knows. I tried to connect all my experiences to the essential competency profile and show my knowledge of the profession.

- CASPer went alright lol I struggled with the word scenarios, but I think I did better on the video scenarios. I prepped a lot in advance and made sure to include a lot of the key phrases they look for in my answers (ex. non-confrontational, private conversation). It will be interesting to see my quartile score. 

- Other leadership/mentorship and work experiences include co-president of my university dance team, student job in my university's academic skills department meeting with first year students and helping them succeed in online learning, dance teacher and assistant for 5+ years, COVID screener at the hospital working mostly with geriatric patient population, and my USRA focussed on coding multi-object eye tracking trials to examine concussion recovery in athletes. 

- I am also a first time applicant, currently completing a 5th year of my undergrad. Like another person said, I don't really know what to expect but I have my fingers crossed. 

EDIT ** Casper quartile: 4th 

Did anyone else get back their casper score for January 5th? I sadly got in the 2nd quartile... there go my chances for queens, western, and McGill. Just really sad that no matter how hard I try there's always something... I even bought the ass-trof consulting casper prep for like 700 bucks, which I would not recommend

1 hour ago, Let_Me_in said:

Did anyone else get back their casper score for January 5th? I sadly got in the 2nd quartile... there go my chances for queens, western, and McGill. Just really sad that no matter how hard I try there's always something... I even bought the ass-trof consulting casper prep for like 700 bucks, which I would not recommend

Don't sweat it. The Casper test is completely flawed and does NOT accurately represent someone. I'm not sure why schools are adapting this method. I myself wrote that on the survey after the test was completed. 

1 hour ago, Let_Me_in said:

That's the thing. I agree with you that the test is flawed but the schools don't give a shit about that. For them, its just a systematic process where you're just a number.

But thank you for your kind words <3

I might be wrong, but I think as long as you meet the s-GPA cutoff for Western top 300, the Casper score isn't really considered (for Western). At least that what I inferred from reading the application process on their website.

2 hours ago, OT_IWILLBE said:

Don't sweat it. The Casper test is completely flawed and does NOT accurately represent someone. I'm not sure why schools are adapting this method. I myself wrote that on the survey after the test was completed. 

Im not sure if not swearing it is the right way to look at it...schools still use casper and some put heavy emphasis on it.

6 minutes ago, CanPhysio9000 said:

I might be wrong, but I think as long as you meet the s-GPA cutoff for Western top 300, the Casper score isn't really considered (for Western). At least that what I inferred from reading the application process on their website.

I think Western uses it as a cut off. It's written on their site that "Students who are ranked below average on the CASPer test may not be given further consideration". So anyone in the 1st or 2nd quartile is probably not going to be given consideration despite the high grades or experience they may have.

Interesting.  From reading their website it seems to me that even if you meet the sGPA cutoff, if you are ranked below average on casper you MAY not be given further consideration.  

"CASPer ranking: Students who are ranked below average on the CASPer test may not be given further consideration"

On the other hand, if you do exceptionally well on Casper, you may be given further consideration even if you do not meet the sGPA cutoff.  

"Students ranked more than two standard deviations above average, may be added to the files sent for external review even if they were not within the top 300 applicants ranked by sub-GPA".

I emailed them if a 4th quartile casper score is considered as two standard deviations above average.  Their response was not necessarily.  You could have a 4th quartile casper score but still be one or two standard deviations below the average.  So you really need to do exceptionally well on casper to be given further consideration if you do not meet the sGPA cutoff.

1 minute ago, zerochance said:

Interesting.  From reading their website it seems to me that even if you meet the sGPA cutoff, if you are ranked below average on casper you MAY not be given further consideration.  

"CASPer ranking: Students who are ranked below average on the CASPer test may not be given further consideration"

On the other hand, if you do exceptionally well on Casper, you may be given further consideration even if you do not meet the sGPA cutoff.  

"Students ranked more than two standard deviations above average, may be added to the files sent for external review even if they were not within the top 300 applicants ranked by sub-GPA".

I emailed them if a 4th quartile casper score is considered as two standard deviations above average.  Their response was not necessarily.  You could have a 4th quartile casper score but still be one or two standard deviations below the average.  So you really need to do exceptionally well on casper to be given further consideration if you do not meet the sGPA cutoff.

Did you ask them if you didn't score well on the Casper, but had a high GPA that you still made the top 300? 

Did you ask them if you didn't score well on the Casper, but had a high GPA that you still made the top 300? 

I did not.  But from the first bolded sentence in my post that you quoted (which i got from Western's website), I am 99% certain that regardless of how high of a sGPA you have, you won't be given further consideration if you score below average on casper.   

On 2/2/2022 at 4:24 AM, Let_Me_in said:

You are not alone. Extremely disappointed with my CASPer score... I have a very strong application outside of that so hopefully it is enough to offset it

Applied  (PT): Queens, Western, Toronto, McMaster
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

CASPer: 2nd quartile

GPA: ~3.97
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Strong references, 2000+ hours experience working in rehabilitation

On 1/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, wannabePT2022 said:

Applied (PT): U of T, McMaster, Queens, Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: s-gpa = 3.84

CASPer quartile: 3rd

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

- 2 academic references (one was my professor from a rehabilitation sciences course, and the other was my professor for five courses as well as the program advisor for my degree specialization)

- 1 professional reference (the owner of the multidisciplinary clinic I currently job shadow/volunteer at)

- I think these references should be strong 

- I also think that my essays were strong (drawing on my PT experiences, extracurriculars, and academics)

- I am a first time applicant and honestly am not sure how strong my application is, but thought I would post as I have found forums and stats from previous years to be helpful

3 hours ago, zerochance said:

"You could have a 4th quartile casper score but still be one or two standard deviations below the average."

So does this also mean that scoring 2nd quartile in your cohort isn't necessarily below average among all the other applicants? Because I understood that as saying you could've scored really well in your specific test group but not compared to everyone. And the same could be said for doing poorly in your cohort?

On 2/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, ptstudent_2500 said:

I'm also an arts student so it is a huge relief to see your post! I think I have a similar standing as you as well. Where did you hear that they come back to grades for final cuts? I would also love to hear more about how you prepped for your interview, sounds like you aced it! :)

58 minutes ago, DfuturePT said:

"You could have a 4th quartile casper score but still be one or two standard deviations below the average."

So does this also mean that scoring 2nd quartile in your cohort isn't necessarily below average among all the other applicants? Because I understood that as saying you could've scored really well in your specific test group but not compared to everyone. And the same could be said for doing poorly in your cohort?

Yes you are correct. The quartile you are given is only in comparison to those who wrote the CASPER the same day as you (from my understanding). So where you landed in comparison to everyone else could be different.

2 hours ago, Let_Me_in said:

I made it to their top 300 for the last 2 years.

I asked them. I'll let you know what they say!

So I emailed Western university and they said that they don't use Casper as a cut-off and that if you are in the 2nd quartile you could still have a competitive Casper score. 

Makes me feel a little better, but my hopes are still low