Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

3 minutes ago, highhopesot said:

Am I blind? Where are you seeing calculated GPA on ORPAS? I have opened all the tabs and can not find it

They took it down earlier this morning, it was only visible for a few hours. Here is what somebody else mentioned:

"I was just on the phone with ORPAS fixing another portion of my applicaiton (that got changed after submitting somehow, RIP) and they said that "the GPA portal was open momentarily for some testing" they predict that it should be out within 1-2 business days"

I found these posts really interesting to know where to strengthen my application, so to continue the tradition:

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT - Dalhousie, Queen’s, UofT, Western & Mac (Ontario resident)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa 3.65 & s-gpa 3.96

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-PT-ish experiences were 16 hours volunteering as a PTA. 1060 hours doing admin for a pelvic health physio clinic, 90 hours PTA for the same clinic. 21 hours as an exercise assistant for patients undergoing cancer treatment and 14 hours as a workout buddy for students who were referred to increase physical activity for their mental health. 

-Other experiences were 130 hours as a TA for anatomy, 90 hours completing cadaver dissections, 41 hours as a research assistant and 33 hours as a peer mentor for students. 

-CASPer quartile: 4th quartile. I have never been more stressed for a test. 

-References: one academic was my anatomy prof who I work with as a TA and who supervised a senior project. Dal needed a second prof, so I have the one I worked with as an RA. Professional was the owner of the clinic I did PTA & admin with. I think they all know me pretty well and should hopefully give strong references.

-Personal statements: I don’t feel *super* confident in these. I think Western ended up being the best, Queens in the middle and Dal was not my favourite. I had a few people read them over and used university resources to also proofread. 

This is my first time applying so I’m curious what will happen! Good luck to everyone, we got this! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT - U of A
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: s-gpa 3.92/4.0
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I believe that I have a very strong work reference, I am not sure about my academic reference! I have extensive job and volunteer experiences working with people with disabilities ranging from children to older adult population. I have worked in a retirement home as a recreation activity leader as well as a the Director's assistant and administrator for a year. I have TA experiences (linguistics and psychology undergrad courses) during my undergrad years (for about two years in total) but I did not have any research experience. I currently work with families with kids who are in pre-school and my position requires constant collaboration with other professionals in early childhood setting. 

I don't know if I did well on Casper or if my letter of intent was strong enough! I felt really unmotivated to apply due to Covid and other personal reasons but I am really passionate about OT!

My worries is that I don't think I have a strong application. I only took 24 course credits over two consecutive terms and U of A is very particular when it comes to the total number of courseload taken - they prefer if students took full course load. I am also an SK resident. What are my chances of getting in this cycle?

On 8/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, Ot2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

Applications for many schools will be opening up in two months! I thought I'd get the ball rolling a little early! 

Applied + (PT or OT?):
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Applied (PT): Western
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa: not sure honestly (will wait for ORPAS to calculate and will update here) and s-gpa 3.80/4
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Personal statement I felt was really strong. I had worked as a PTA in 2 outpatient clinics with around 600 hours full-time over 5 months. My reference was one of the clinic directors/ physiotherapist. Didn't read the reference but it should be good. Other reference was a professor I had over 3 years, and 5 classes with. On their volunteer list for labs as well, so it should be fairly strong. PT experiences was obviously working as a PTA, as well as working as a Chiropractor assistant. Non-PT, I volunteered with Concussion Awareness Society (2 years), Best Buddies Canada (2 years), Maternity Today (1 year), and Organ Advocacy Initiative (1 year). Some diverse experiences, not sure if this will strengthen my app or not, but I really just enjoy volunteering haha.

CASPer quartile: 4th - top quartile

I am very nervous applying to just one school, but I feel I have a strong application. Good luck to everyone applying this year :) Let me know your thoughts on my application or feel free to just chat about anything PT related!

On 8/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, Ot2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

Applications for many schools will be opening up in two months! I thought I'd get the ball rolling a little early! 

Applied + (PT or OT?):
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC OT, UofA OT, Dal OT, McMaster OT, Western OT, UofT OT, Queens OT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.53 and s-gpa 3.64 (Feeling really disappointed in myself after receiving my ORPAS gpa. The last semester of my second year was a really rough year and tanked my GPA)

Casper score: 4th quartile

I feel that I have very strong essays. I have lots of relevant personal and professional experiences that I was able to pull from. My UBC essay is probably the strongest, followed by UofA, ORPAS, then DAL. My references are the executive director of a nonprofit for people with disabilities that I work at (strong), my honours supervisor (very strong), and the professor whose lab I worked in doing psychological testing on people with autism (I think strong). I have over 800+ relevant volunteer/work hours. 
I’m also a BC resident and fall into multiple of the minority categories that Dal prioritizes (does anyone know how much weight this has BTW?). 

Overall, I was feeling pretty good about my application until I got my ORPAS GPA. As it was mostly second year courses that screwed things up, I’m thinking I’ll have the best chance at UBC. But more likely I’ll have to reapply next year after taking more courses. This means so much to me so I’m feeling pretty crappy. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT - Queen’s, Western (BC Applicant)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa 3.61 & s-gpa 3.71 

CASPer: 3rd quartile 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I worked in a Physio clinic for one year and shadowed OTs throughout. I've also worked alongside OTs while working in a homeless shelter. I have a extenuating circumstance on my application, because I was in a car accident that impacted my grades for awhile, which I noted in my personal submissions. It could be considered a strength because I have been able to be a patient of OTs which greatly influenced my drive to be an OT. I have also shadowed and volunteered at a rehabilitation center in the inpatient section for a few months up until applications were due, I am also completing an internship with the Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance working in a multi-disciplinary team and working directly with clients with brain injuries. 

I think my personal submissions were strong because I demonstrated that I have worked in multiple different settings alongside OTs and therefore showed an in-depth knowledge of the role of OTs,  as well as being a patient myself.

I am a little worried about my GPA because of the car accident, If they didn't count the last few grades from Winter 2020, I would have a 3.9 S-GPA, but I'm hoping they look past that because of the then-unresolved neck and brain injuries! 

Good luck to everyone! PT and OT are highly competitive, and the wait is a little agonizing, but I'm happy we are able to share the burden on this forum :) 

• Applied: PT at UofT and Mac
  • Accepted:
  • Waitlisted:
  • Rejected:
  • GPA: cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.92
  • CASPer: 

I am nervous about only applying to the two schools but felt my GPA and interview skills were stronger than my physio experience for Western and Queen's!

Good luck to everyone looking at their GPA's today :)

Applied (PT): Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens, Dal, UofA
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

SGPA: 3.73/4

-My professional + academic references have known me for about 2 years and they have been super helpful with looking over my personal statement and helping me w/ my application

-PT Experience: 370 hours across two clinics. Working with general, and high-performance athletes populations.

-Non-PT Experiences: Canadian Olympic Committee (Beijing's my first Olympics!), Athletics Ontario, St. Alban's Boys and Girls Club, and Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario. 

CASPer quartile: 4th 

Third time applying, GPA is rough but hoping my experiences + CASPer make up for it!

Just now, PTHopeful2022 said:

Applied (PT): Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens, Dal, UofA
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

SGPA: 3.73/4

-My professional + academic references have known me for about 2 years and they have been super helpful with looking over my personal statement and helping me w/ my application

-PT Experience: 370 hours across two clinics. Working with general, and high-performance athletes populations.

-Non-PT Experiences: Canadian Olympic Committee (Beijing's my first Olympics!), Athletics Ontario, St. Alban's Boys and Girls Club, and Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario. 

CASPer quartile: 4th 

Third time applying, GPA is rough but hoping my experiences + CASPer make up for it!

If you don't mind sharing and me asking, what would you say you have improved this time around compared to your other two? As in, what do you think were your downfalls the last few times? 

Congrats on the Olympics! Fingers crossed for you :) 

1 minute ago, PT2022- said:

If you don't mind sharing and me asking, what would you say you have improved this time around compared to your other two? As in, what do you think were your downfalls the last few times? 

Congrats on the Olympics! Fingers crossed for you :) 

Yeah for sure! 

Improved: GPA; Personal statement - this time round I looked at the core values of the program (if they were listed on the website). I also referred to the Essential Competencies as listed by the NPAG (link to the 2017 competencies profile); Experiences - I built my network up and was able to get a few really cool opportunities! 

Downfalls: GPA - even if you have a great application if you don't make it past the first round your application doesn't get looked at. Mind you things have changed over the years and CASPer can be a huge asset to help boost your application.

Thanks! The nightshift sucks but to be expected with the time difference. 

Applied (All OT) UBC, UofA, Dal, Queen's, Western
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa 3.62, s-gpa 3.81 

CASPer: 3rd quartile

Second time applying! I was waitlisted at UBC/UofA/Dal last year. BC Applicant. Graduated last spring with BSc Kinesiology (Honours). I have over 2000 hours working with various populations (work/MVA rehab, children, and currently long-term dementia care) as a rehab aide and recreation coordinator. I was able to build on my essays from last year with new experience and I think they're looking pretty strong! I used my Honour's supervisor, a Prof that I TA for, and my LTC director of care for my references. I am a little worried about my CASPer score, especially for Western. Overall I am feeling pretty good, fingers crossed for a successful year this year! :)

41 minutes ago, EllieOT2022 said:

Does anyone happen to know when McMaster reaches out to people who move on to the MMI (interview) phase in the application process? Don't want to get my hopes up, but I do live quite far away so if it's in-person I would like to have some idea of a timeline.

Last year I heard that I did not receive one on March 11th, so maybe around there?