Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 1/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, EWPT said:

Did you get the question about what the last thing you would do on earth would be? Seems a tad unreasonable to expect someone to answer that in that short timeframe.

I had this one when I did it on the fifth as well, what the heck??? i've complained to so many of my friends about this haha it was ridiculous, all of the questions related to it were so unreasonable! There was no context, how am I supposed to come up with the context and also talk about how it would affect me morally??? lmao wtf

Applied (PT): U of T, McMaster, Queens, Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: s-gpa = 3.84

CASPer quartile: Not sure yet

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

- 2 academic references (one was my professor from a rehabilitation sciences course, and the other was my professor for five courses as well as the program advisor for my degree specialization)

- 1 professional reference (the owner of the multidisciplinary clinic I currently job shadow/volunteer at)

- I think these references should be strong 

- I also think that my essays were strong (drawing on my PT experiences, extracurriculars, and academics)

- I am a first time applicant and honestly am not sure how strong my application is, but thought I would post as I have found forums and stats from previous years to be helpful

Applied (OT): UofA, UBC
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

CASPer quartile: Unknown
GPA: sGPA = 3.867 cGPA = 3.867

Note: Any other Indigenous people applying to UofA and UBC? Would be nice if we got in together, we could be friends! I don't have any Indig friends in my undergrad program lol. 

• My primary academic reference for UofA and UBC has taught a ton of my rehabilitation medicine classes and she really likes me, she also recommended me for a research assistant position that was supposed to just be for Master's students (I'm an undergrad), but her recommendation of me was apparently so strong that they offered it to me lol. So I have faith in that. 
  • My second UBC academic reference has taught a few rehabilitation medicine classes that I took and she seems like she really likes me! I've gotten all A's in her classes.
  • My professional reference is my practicum supervisor who is always talking about how proud she is of how far I've come. 
  • I think all of my references have the potential to be really great.
  • I think my essays are strong, I really want to do the Indigenous Focus option at UofA because I'm Indigenous, so I've drawn a lot on those experiences, as well as my practicum placements, and my experience teaching preschool and working at a summer camp for kids with disabilities 
  • Not super sure how strong my CV is, I've never written one before but I think it looks good?
  • First time applicant, stressed as heck! 

3 hours ago, OTWrappingpaper said:

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Note: Any other Indigenous people applying to UofA and UBC? Would be nice if we got in together, we could be friends! I don't have any Indig friends in my undergrad program lol. 

• My primary academic reference for UofA and UBC has taught a ton of my rehabilitation medicine classes and she really likes me, she also recommended me for a research assistant position that was supposed to just be for Master's students (I'm an undergrad), but her recommendation of me was apparently so strong that they offered it to me lol. So I have faith in that. 
  • My second UBC academic reference has taught a few rehabilitation medicine classes that I took and she seems like she really likes me! I've gotten all A's in her classes.
  • My professional reference is my practicum supervisor who is always talking about how proud she is of how far I've come. 
  • I think my essays are strong, I really want to do the Indigenous Focus option at UofA because I'm Indigenous, so I've drawn a lot on those experiences, as well as my practicum placements, and my experience teaching preschool and working at a summer camp for kids with disabilities 
  • Not super sure how strong my CV is, I've never written one before but I think it looks good?

Glad to see another Indigenous applicant! I was worried I was going to be the only one haha I hope we both get in to our respective programs. I only applied to UBC (BC applicant), but I hope you'll get into the Indigenous stream at UoA that seems like a wonderful opportunity. I wish UBC had a similar program. 

Applied (OT): UofT, McMaster, Queens, Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa 3.75 and s-gpa 3.87 on ORPAS (c-gpa = 3.85, s-gpa = 3.96 on 4.0 scale from transcript)

CASPer quartile: Unknown

-one academic reference from a professor I've known for four years, I was pretty close with her so I think this reference will be strong. She's also the department chair for my program

-one professional reference from my volunteer supervisor at a sexual health clinic. I had more relevant jobs that I could've asked for a reference from (volunteered with an SLP, currently work at a LTC home) but he knew me best and for the longest so I think this would've been my strongest professional reference. I'm worried it won't be as impressive as other people's professional references, but in my other jobs there was very little oversight so my direct supervisors from those jobs don't really know me (esp with the pandemic)

-experience: 2 yrs volunteering at a sexual health clinic, 8 months volunteering with a SLP (program suspended b/c of pandemic otherwise I would've been there longer), 8 months as a research student at a hospital, 10 months as a volunteer program coordinator for a sexual health education program, currently 4 months working as a non-medical caregiver for a LTC agency

-I *hope* my personal statements were strong but I feel like that's hard to judge lol, but I had a ton of people read them and give feedback, and I do feel like I did a good job explaining why I choose OT specifically

This is my first time applying so I don't really know what to expect, but I feel like my GPA, experiences, and academic reference are strong. UofT is my first choice and I've heard they care a lot about GPA so hopefully I'll get accepted there

18 minutes ago, otapp22 said:

Applied (OT): U of T, McMaster, Queens, Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa = 3.85, s-gpa = 3.96 on 4.0 scale (I think? will update once ORPAS calculates it)

CASPer quartile: Unknown

-one academic reference from a professor I've known for four years, I was pretty close with her so I think this reference will be strong. She's also the department chair for my program

-one professional reference from my volunteer supervisor at a sexual health clinic. I had more relevant jobs that I could've asked for a reference from (volunteered with an SLP, currently work at a LTC home) but he knew me best and for the longest so I think this would've been my strongest professional reference. I'm worried it won't be as impressive as other people's professional references, but in my other jobs there was very little oversight so my direct supervisors from those jobs don't really know me (esp with the pandemic)

-experience: 2 yrs volunteering at a sexual health clinic, 8 months volunteering with a SLP (program suspended b/c of pandemic otherwise I would've been there longer), 8 months as a research student at a hospital, 10 months as a volunteer program coordinator for a sexual health education program, currently 4 months working as a non-medical caregiver for a LTC agency

-I *hope* my personal statements were strong but I feel like that's hard to judge lol, but I had a ton of people read them and give feedback, and I do feel like I did a good job explaining why I choose OT specifically

This is my first time applying so I don't really know what to expect, but I feel like my GPA, experiences, and academic reference are strong. UofT is my first choice and I've heard they care a lot about GPA so hopefully I'll get accepted there

How did you figure out your GPA when it was between 3.9 and 4? I got confused using the ORPAS conversion table when it was in that area

2 hours ago, OT_lockoutofmyaccount said:

How did you figure out your GPA when it was between 3.9 and 4? I got confused using the ORPAS conversion table when it was in that area

That's my GPA from my transcript since my undergrad school (UofT) already used the 4.0 scale. Honestly the ORPAS conversion table was so confusing I didn't look at it for long, but when I tried to calculate it myself I converted each individual percentage grade to it's 4.0 scale value and then added those together, instead of converting my average. So for ex, in one semester my grades were 84, 88, 88, 89, and 91, which according to the ORPAS conversion chart equals 3.7, 3.9, 3.9, 3.9, and 4.0 So I added all of those together and divided by 5, which is 3.88. For comparison the GPA on my transcript for that semester is 3.93. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm right lol, because that means my sGPA will drop from a 3.96 to a 3.88 but oh well. Guess we'll find out soon

EDIT: if it helps at all I'm attaching a screenshot of the way that I converted my grades. So column 1 is my last 20 half credits, column 2 is the GPA conversion according to the ORPAS chart, then you can autosum each column (row 21) and divide by 20 (row 22). This makes sense to me but we'll see if I'm right when ORPAS releases our converted GPAs149183247_gpaconversion.thumb.png.461196cd65d498d941a8bc7dd5ff77a1.png

Applied (PT): UofT, Mac, Queens and Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa = 3.72 s-gpa = 3.89 on ORPAS **edited Feb 3rd

CASPer quartile: 4th **edited Feb 2nd

Perceived strengths of essays/interviews/references:

- My academic reference was a professor who supervised my NSERC USRA and that I've had for multiple classes, including my practicum course which involves instructing group fitness classes for individuals with Parkinson's disease and examining the effect of these classes on their mental health. I believe this reference was strong as I've worked with her consistently throughout the past year. 

- My professional reference was a physiotherapist I shadowed and is a recent Queen's PT graduate. I only shadowed for 55 hours at this clinic, so I'm unsure how strong this reference will be.

- I feel confident about my personal statements, but who knows. I tried to connect all my experiences to the essential competency profile and show my knowledge of the profession.

- CASPer went alright lol I struggled with the word scenarios, but I think I did better on the video scenarios. I prepped a lot in advance and made sure to include a lot of the key phrases they look for in my answers (ex. non-confrontational, private conversation). It will be interesting to see my quartile score. 

- Other leadership/mentorship and work experiences include co-president of my university dance team, student job in my university's academic skills department meeting with first year students and helping them succeed in online learning, dance teacher and assistant for 5+ years, COVID screener at the hospital working mostly with geriatric patient population, and my USRA focussed on coding multi-object eye tracking trials to examine concussion recovery in athletes. 

- I am also a first time applicant, currently completing a 5th year of my undergrad. Like another person said, I don't really know what to expect but I have my fingers crossed. 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, otapp22 said:

That's my GPA from my transcript since my undergrad school (UofT) already used the 4.0 scale. Honestly the ORPAS conversion table was so confusing I didn't look at it for long, but when I tried to calculate it myself I converted each individual percentage grade to it's 4.0 scale value and then added those together, instead of converting my average. So for ex, in one semester my grades were 84, 88, 88, 89, and 91, which according to the ORPAS conversion chart equals 3.7, 3.9, 3.9, 3.9, and 4.0 So I added all of those together and divided by 5, which is 3.88. For comparison the GPA on my transcript for that semester is 3.93. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm right lol, because that means my sGPA will drop from a 3.96 to a 3.88 but oh well. Guess we'll find out soon

EDIT: if it helps at all I'm attaching a screenshot of the way that I converted my grades. So column 1 is my last 20 half credits, column 2 is the GPA conversion according to the ORPAS chart, then you can autosum each column (row 21) and divide by 20 (row 22). This makes sense to me but we'll see if I'm right when ORPAS releases our converted GPAs149183247_gpaconversion.thumb.png.461196cd65d498d941a8bc7dd5ff77a1.png

Even if you have anything between 85-90 it is still considered to be a 4.0 depending on your university. If on your transcript you have 4.0 rather than a 3.9 for those 3 classes, then you should have a high GPA. 

Question for those who are applying to the OT program at Dalhousie!

Is your application up to date? My first reference was completed in December however it says it was received in January... then my second reference is blank. I have confirmation from my reference everything was submitted. Hahaha slightly freaking out, but understand there is a chance their system is not up to date?? 

4 hours ago, highhopesot said:

Question for those who are applying to the OT program at Dalhousie!

Is your application up to date? My first reference was completed in December however it says it was received in January... then my second reference is blank. I have confirmation from my reference everything was submitted. Hahaha slightly freaking out, but understand there is a chance their system is not up to date?? 

All of Dal's application systems are notoriously slow, as everything needs to be inputted manually on their end. Same thing happened to me last year; as long as you know it's been submitted on your end they will update it eventually. They also won't put anything on the application page when you submit your supplementary application! Frustrating, I know!

16 hours ago, PTHopeful12 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for transcripts to appear on ORPAS? 

I believe that each university has a date that they'll send transcripts out by if you asked them to be sent after the fall semester (or at least mine does). 

I was told that your GPA as calculated by ORPAS will appear on your profile sometime in February. Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone!!

It seems as though very few people in this thread are applying to UBC? Or has this thread just not reached UBC yet haha? Would be interested in connecting with those applying to UBC / being directed towards forums with more UBC hopefuls? 

All the best to all applicants :)

On 1/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, OTWrappingpaper said:

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Hi!! Curious to know what the rehabilitation medicine classes you have taken at UBC are? Are they within UBC KIN?

16 minutes ago, pathtopt said:

Hi everyone!!

It seems as though very few people in this thread are applying to UBC? Or has this thread just not reached UBC yet haha? Would be interested in connecting with those applying to UBC / being directed towards forums with more UBC hopefuls? 

Hey! I applied to OT and UBC this year. I applied with an 86% GPA so I think that's why I've been hesitant to post on these forums (as my GPA seems lower than the majority of people here). I went in with the highest casper score you could receive, amazing work experience, and very strong references so I am trying to stay hopeful! I would love to get more advice on the interview process but can't seem to find info anywhere. Trying to determine which sort of questions I should be studying for (situational, personal, etc.). Sending luck your way!

Also applying to UBC MOT program here! I'm also applying to Western OT (which doesn't have an interview) and the McMaster OT program (which has an MMI interview). I'm a BC resident so I am crossing my fingers to get in to UBC, but I suppose only time would be able to tell... Good luck for all who's applying to the above programs! And plz hit me up if anyone wants to create a practice group once interview invitations roll in :D 

15 hours ago, pathtopt said:

Hi everyone!!

I'm applying to UBC! As others have mentioned, I'd love to make a group chat on facebook or imessage or something to chat about it/do practice interviews and stuff! I'm so stressed about the interview stage

21 hours ago, OTWrappingpaper said:

I'm applying to UBC! As others have mentioned, I'd love to make a group chat on facebook or imessage or something to chat about it/do practice interviews and stuff! I'm so stressed about the interview stage

Agreed! What resources are you using to study for interviews right now? I'm trying to prep as early as possible as I know they don't give you much notice.