Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

Hi! Congrats to everyone on submitting their applications :) 

Does anyone know if schools wait for all final grades from the term to be available before sending out official transcripts? I have received all but one of my final grades from this past semester and am concerned that my school might send my transcript to ORPAS prior to my final grade being inputted (from experience in this course, I have a feeling the grade won't be available for a while).

18 hours ago, wannabePT2022 said:

Does anyone know if schools wait for all final grades from the term to be available before sending out official transcripts? I have received all but one of my final grades from this past semester and am concerned that my school might send my transcript to ORPAS prior to my final grade being inputted (from experience in this course, I have a feeling the grade won't be available for a while).

I think this depends on your school! For example, the college I went to gave me the option of waiting to send my transcript out until all my grades where in, but UVic only sends out transcripts ASAP. I would check to see with your university! Hope this helped :)

On 1/9/2022 at 11:46 PM, wannabePT2022 said:

I was told by the SAM system that if you submit your transcript now, when your grade gets updated, just send another transcript and they’ll update it regardless of when they get it

Hi eveyrone, emergency post. for the dalhousie supplementary application that is due today, I am unable to attach volunteer information it keeps saying "please enter a valid number" I have followed all formats, character limits, brackets, dashes, everything, i dont know what to do. can someone please help me 

Helpful advice wanted!!!

Ive applied to OT programs (Queens, Western, UofT, and UofA) and the weakest part of my application would be my GPA (subGPA of 80%). The rest of my application is very strong: 4 year varsity student athlete with leadership qualifications & experience, 2 years of OT volunteer hours, i've been involved in many extra curricular programs/society's working with individuals with disabilities. I have strong references (1 academic, 1 work, and 1 coach reference) who speak well to my character. Do I have any chances of getting in with such low marks even if the rest of my application is really well put together?? I put so much work and effort into my personal statements and I am nervous they wont even get looked at with such a low GPA!

On 1/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, Runner_OT said:

Helpful advice wanted!!!

Ive applied to OT programs (Queens, Western, UofT, and UofA) and the weakest part of my application would be my GPA (subGPA of 80%). The rest of my application is very strong: 4 year varsity student athlete with leadership qualifications & experience, 2 years of OT volunteer hours, i've been involved in many extra curricular programs/society's working with individuals with disabilities. I have strong references (1 academic, 1 work, and 1 coach reference) who speak well to my character. Do I have any chances of getting in with such low marks even if the rest of my application is really well put together?? I put so much work and effort into my personal statements and I am nervous they wont even get looked at with such a low GPA!

All you can do is apply and hope for the best. Im not sure what 80% translates to in terms of sGPA, but you definitely have a shot.

My university's grading scheme is different than the schools i've applied to. For example, at my school, an A+ is 95-100, an A is 90-94, and an A- is an 85-89, etc. At the University of Alberta, an A+ is 90-100, and an A is 85-89, and I'm pretty sure UBC is the same. My question is, will this impact how they calculate my sub and cumulative GPA? Like, if the lowest grade I've gotten is an 85, will UofA and UBC count my GPA as a 4.0????? 

I know its probably not lol, but I am hopeful. I have a 3.867 rn and if its bumped to a literal 4.0 I will be so stoked. 

otherwise, because my GPA is 3.867, does anyone know if it'll be rounded up to a 3.9??? again, wishful thinking haha

Now that applications are in I am excited to see where this takes us.

Applied (OT): UBC
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

CASPer quartile: 3rd
GPA: sGPA = 3.85/4, Percentage = 87.5%

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 2nd time BC applicant. I applied to more schools last year with a much weaker academic standing (sGPA = 3.74, Percentile = 82%). I took some more courses over the past year to strengthen that portion of my application. At the moment, I have worked ~1700hrs as a youth/adult support worker. In addition, I have volunteered ~120hrs within a hospital, shadowing OTs and mental health nurses. I have 2 volunteer references and 2 academic references. The academic references are my perceived weakness. Online classes make it very difficult to form relationships with professors and potential opportunities to help with research I found were hard to acquire. Overall, I am hopeful this year. 

This cycle I only applied to UBC as I have a been acting as a caregiver for my partner who became quite ill this year. Leaving the province was not an option in my current situation

Any tips from re-applicants/current OT students are welcome! 

Edited by Dancewithcrows

34 minutes ago, Otpt2022 said:

Does anyone know how to update your casper account with the OUAC reference number? I have it written down in my notes that this has to be done by Feb 1 after submitting apps to ORPAS and writing casper but I can't figure out how to do this anywhere on the casper site. I'm confused. 

Log in to your account, click on your name in the top right corner, click account, then click IDs and edit your ORPAS ID number!

25 minutes ago, 2022admissions said:

Log in to your account, click on your name in the top right corner, click account, then click IDs and edit your ORPAS ID number!

I tried this already, I can see my old OUAC number from when I applied to undergrad but it didn’t give me the option to add or edit my ID number! Not sure what to do now 

48 minutes ago, Otpt2022 said:

I tried this already, I can see my old OUAC number from when I applied to undergrad but it didn’t give me the option to add or edit my ID number! Not sure what to do now 

For ORPAS I think you would have to DM them (via the chat bubble) so they can add it for you! Once they did it you should see a new row that says ORPAS/OUAC ID.

1 hour ago, Otpt2022 said:

when I dm'd them i was given this link: https://account.takealtus.com/profile/identifiers , you can see if it works for you :)

59 minutes ago, zerochance said:

Anyone know what exactly this means (yes im not great at math lol): more than two standard deviations about average on the CASPer test.   I scored in the 4th quartile so I'm not sure if it applies to me.

Sheeeeeesh!! it means you did extremely well!! So well, that even if you don't meet Queens GPA cutoff this year they will still consider you. Congrats, i'm highly jelly!!

14 hours ago, CanPhysio9000 said:

is Casper basically just used if you don't meet the GPA cutoff? Or they still consider it even if you meet past the GPA cutoff?

I believe they do consider it if you meet past the GPA cutoff! It's just that if you didn't meet the GPA cutoff but did well on casper then you may be given further consideration!