Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

5 minutes ago, Let_Me_in said:

So I emailed Western university and they said that they don't use Casper as a cut-off and that if you are in the 2nd quartile you could still have a competitive Casper score. 

Makes me feel a little better, but my hopes are still low

So did they say that they only use casper for those who don't meet the GPA cutoff for further consideration? 

3 hours ago, CanPhysio9000 said:

So did they say that they only use casper for those who don't meet the GPA cutoff for further consideration? 

They can use it that way only if you are 2 standard deviation above. I believe they just use it competitively for those who do meet the GPA requirement. However, they also said that if your Casper score is very low, then they will not consider you.

9 hours ago, HopefulOT2022 said:

Hi guys!

Does anyone know when we can expect to see our calculated subgpa on ORPAS?

They just posted mine so hopefully yours will be there too! I’m a little confused how to figure out the sub-gpa from what they calculated but probably just need coffee first lol

On 1/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, sabre1010 said:

Hi everyone,

Never expected that I would be reading forums like these again, but here I am again now that I am pursuing a career change after working in research (MSc in Neuroscience) for several years. After experiencing a life-changing accident a few years ago, I've since done some soul searching and decided to pivot my career a bit to work directly with individuals with psychiatric and neurological disorders. 

Since my situation is so unique, I'm not sure how helpful sharing my stats will be, but figured I'd share anyways!

- Applied to McMaster & Western for OT; McMaster is my top choice
- SubGPA is super confusing because I have graduate coursework, internship credits, research credits, pass/fails, courses that are weighted differently, etc. and I honestly don't know how ORPAS is gonna sort through the mess. I've calculated it a few ways (including/excluding internship credits, etc) and it ranges between 3.90 and 3.93. 

Since these two programs don't require references or anything, my fate is pretty much hinging on GPA (which I'm not worried about) and CASPer (for Western)/MMIs (for McMaster). Looking forward to this year's application cycle and [hopefully] starting a new life come September! Good luck everyone. 

EDIT: They ended up including my research and internship credits, so my subGPA according to ORPAS is a 3.93 & cumulative GPA is a 3.81 (which is higher than what my transcript says). 

Well, subGPA ended up being at the upper end of what I calculated, so feeling pretty confident that I'll land an interview at McMaster OT. So curious about what the cutoff is going to be - it jumped a lot between 2020 and 2021! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT: UBC, UofA, Dalhousie, Western, U of T, McMaster
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa 3.97; s-gpa 3.98

Casper: 4th quartile
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

-The only written components I have done is Western's letter of intent, Dalhousie's personal statement, and UBC's supplementary document. I believe each of them were well done and I had several others look over my statements.

-References: two academic references, one from the vice-chair of my KNES department and the other from my supervisor (teaching assistant position). Professional reference was from a physiotherapist I shadowed over the summer and over winter break.

-Experiences: 100 hours at a physio clinic, 15 hours operating a customized electric bike for those with disabilities, 220 hours with a holiday hamper program, 220 hours as a teaching assistant, and I'm currently a student marker. I wish I could have spent more time in the clinic, but it was very hard to find places accepting students and I also live with an at risk family member.

4 hours ago, PFPT said:

They just posted mine so hopefully yours will be there too! I’m a little confused how to figure out the sub-gpa from what they calculated but probably just need coffee first lol

Were you able to figure it out? I see my "Overall GPA" at the top.  Is the "Sub GPA" the number listed at the very bottom of the form?

3 minutes ago, headoverheelsPT said:

Anyone else curious/nervous as to what Western's PT sub-GPA cutoff will be? I'm not sure what to expect since 2019 was 3.81, then 2020 was 3.78 and 2021 was 3.84. Curious as to whether it will be higher than 3.84 this year or lower. 

I truly feel it will be lower this year compared to 2021. I say that bc by 2021 most of us had a full year of online school so they had to take the GPA inflation into account. This year, with most of us being back in person for at least the fall semester, I think it will be a bit lower and they will be a bit more lenient with the inflation of the online year if that makes any sense. 

12 minutes ago, PT2022- said:

Yep, mine was there 45 min ago and now it's gone. I'm sure it will be back soon, with the same calculations or better lol 

I was just on the phone with ORPAS fixing another portion of my applicaiton (that got changed after submitting somehow, RIP) and they said that "the GPA portal was open momentarily for some testing" they predict that it should be out within 1-2 business days.

1 hour ago, OT_applicant said:

Anyone have any idea of how many people UBC MOT interviews and if post-interview, it is your Casper, letter of intent, and interview that are taken into consideration when making an admissions decision rather than your grades ?

From what I understand, interviews are based off of GPA. After the interview is completed, they will look at all aspects of your application and make their decision. Not sure how many were interviewed, but last year there was a 20-person waitlist and 60 admitted. 

3 hours ago, EWPT said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT: UBC, UofA, Dalhousie, Western, U of T, McMaster
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa 3.97; s-gpa 3.98

Casper: 4th quartile
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

-The only written components I have done is Western's letter of intent, Dalhousie's personal statement, and UBC's supplementary document. I believe each of them were well done and I had several others look over my statements.

-References: two academic references, one from the vice-chair of my KNES department and the other from my supervisor (teaching assistant position). Professional reference was from a physiotherapist I shadowed over the summer and over winter break.

-Experiences: 100 hours at a physio clinic, 15 hours operating a customized electric bike for those with disabilities, 220 hours with a holiday hamper program, 220 hours as a teaching assistant, and I'm currently a student marker. I wish I could have spent more time in the clinic, but it was very hard to find places accepting students and I also live with an at risk family member.

Sheeeeesh!!! crazy stats congrats! give the rest of us a chance :lol:

On 1/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, OTforever said:

Hey! I applied to OT and UBC this year. I applied with an 86% GPA so I think that's why I've been hesitant to post on these forums (as my GPA seems lower than the majority of people here). I went in with the highest casper score you could receive, amazing work experience, and very strong references so I am trying to stay hopeful! I would love to get more advice on the interview process but can't seem to find info anywhere. Trying to determine which sort of questions I should be studying for (situational, personal, etc.). Sending luck your way!

@OTWrappingpaper We have the same gpa, go to the same University and applied to the same schools