Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 12/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, PTPT2022 said:

Hello! 4th year undergrad here (finishing in 5 years) needing some advice. I'm planning on applying for PT in the fall of 2022. I've been taking 5 classes a semester but decided to do 3 classes for my last 2 years to focus more on extracurriculars, my own rehabilitation, and work. Will taking 3 classes per semester have a negative impact on my application if I maintain a good GPA/ experience? I was also kind of confused if my last 2 years would be considered part-time in ORPAS. I'm from BC and it's considered full-time here.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it

No, it shouldn't. I did the same; I was a full time student for 4 years but needed to take an extra semester to finish up one degree requirement, so I only took 3 courses (didn't want to pay an extra $1200 to take 2 more courses but needed 3 to keep my OSAP grants). 3 courses is considered full time here in Ontario as well. I asked one of the academic advisors & grad school coach at UofT about it and she said that usually grad schools prefer that students take a full course load b/c it shows that they have the capacity to handle grad school. HOWEVER, since I had a full course load & good GPA for 4 years before taking one reduced course load semester it shouldn't be a problem.

4 hours ago, OTWrappingpaper said:

This is embarassing, does anyone know if we need a CV for UBC? I feel like I remember reading that we did but I can't find where to put it in the application lol. Thanks

NO CV needed. That's why your written response is so important - because it's the only place to showcase your experience and qualifications.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:36 PM, OTforever said:

NO CV needed. That's why your written response is so important - because it's the only place to showcase your experience and qualifications.

From my experience last year, they want to know all about your experience and such in the interview stage. GPA is the sole qualifier for an interview! After the interview, they will look at your references and statement. 

13 hours ago, PotentialOT said:

From my experience last year, they want to know all about your experience and such in the interview stage. GPA is the sole qualifier for an interview! After the interview, they will look at your references and statement. 

Have you already been accepted? I've spoken to the admissions team and they told me that getting invited to an interview is based off of GPA, your casper score, letter of intent and references (all equally distributed).

10 hours ago, OTforever said:

Have you already been accepted? I've spoken to the admissions team and they told me that getting invited to an interview is based off of GPA, your casper score, letter of intent and references (all equally distributed).

I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Interesting, when I emailed the admissions team last year GPA was their sole basis! It may have changed this year. 

12 hours ago, PotentialOT said:

I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Interesting, when I emailed the admissions team last year GPA was their sole basis! It may have changed this year. 

Oh Interesting! Can I ask you how the interview went? I think that's my biggest concern right now. I just want to know more about it so I can prepare a bit more. :) And they're usually mid march right?

On 12/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, LetmeOT said:

Hi guys! It's my first post to this forum! I'm so excited to take this OT journey with y'all! 

I'm a BC applicant applying to Western and Queens OT. 

I sent in my college transcript over a month ago and ORPAS still says they haven't received it, when they received my Uvic transcript super quick. I resent the transcript again and hope it arrives in time for the application but I am so worried now! 

Hey there,

UBC student here also applying this round. To send transcripts to ORPAS, would we need to 'request transcript' and select the 'mail' option to be sent to postal code N1G 5E2? Thanks!!

3 hours ago, borahae said:

Hi! I am applying to both PT and OT and I was wondering if people are putting the number of hours they volunteered at a specific place in their personal submissions or not? 

Hey there,

I did for Queens, as they instructed on the personal submission to put down the number of hours worked/ volunteered at PT relevant experiences. I did not put the number of hours volunteered for the non-PT relevant experiences as that was not specified in the instructions. I also didn't specify hours in my western personal statement as there is a section to input experiences, hours, location etc. 

On 12/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, PT2022A said:

Thank you for the info, for example if you have a sub-GPA of 87% this would count as 3.9? Could you give me an example of what you mean by divide this by the rest of your courses to find the GPA? 

You can't determine GPA by your overall average. You need to convert each course grade to figure it out. Try this calculator: https://www.whatsmygpa.ca/

For UofT & Queens OT applicants... how much (if anything) and what are you citing for the 2nd personal submission (trends in healthcare & OT leadership)? Right now, all I have cited is a statistic I wanted to use but I keep second guessing whether anything else needs to be cited. Like if I say that OTs can help someone with X skill or that social isolation can impact mental health, I'm assuming that doesn't need to be cited? Otherwise the citations would take up half of the character count. I may be overthinking this but UofT really put the fear of god into me when it comes to plagiarism and now I'm scared lol

10 hours ago, otapp22 said:

For UofT & Queens OT applicants... how much (if anything) and what are you citing for the 2nd personal submission (trends in healthcare & OT leadership)? Right now, all I have cited is a statistic I wanted to use but I keep second guessing whether anything else needs to be cited. Like if I say that OTs can help someone with X skill or that social isolation can impact mental health, I'm assuming that doesn't need to be cited? Otherwise the citations would take up half of the character count. I may be overthinking this but UofT really put the fear of god into me when it comes to plagiarism and now I'm scared lol

I'm using zero citations

Hi all, I have a question, I am applying to UBC PT and for the supplemental application in the section of extracurricular activities, it only gives us 90 characters with space to list them. does this mean we only right what we did and the position held only (for example like head coach for a softball team) thats it? or are we supposed to add in something else? because 90 characters is not a lot at all. 

For those applying to PT, when listing your PT and non-PT experiences in your personal submissions, what exactly is considered a PT experience? I am in a placement this year involving teaching group fitness to individuals with Parkinson's disease and I'm leaning towards putting this as a non-PT experience because I'm not directly shadowing a physiotherapist or at a physio clinic. Any insight would be appreciated :)

3 hours ago, PT_EP said:

For those applying to PT, when listing your PT and non-PT experiences in your personal submissions, what exactly is considered a PT experience? I am in a placement this year involving teaching group fitness to individuals with Parkinson's disease and I'm leaning towards putting this as a non-PT experience because I'm not directly shadowing a physiotherapist or at a physio clinic. Any insight would be appreciated :)

i think that would be non-pt as well

On 12/16/2021 at 9:24 AM, Ot2022 said:

Amazing! Thank you for coming here to help prospective students! I am wondering what you have been enjoying about the program at Western to this point? 

Sorry for the late response! But I truly can’t say enough good things about western. It has been such a welcoming/community like feeling which is so nice to have when you’re in a program where social supports can make a huge difference! I love that everyone works together and the profs even encourage you to work together. The pandemic has put some halts on international placements but it looks as though they are opening up for 2022 which is awesome. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, hope this helped.