Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Hey you know what I think being IN province as opposed to being OUT of province made a huge difference this year.

I see people that got interviews and DAT scores similar to mine ... but they appear to be from Ontario or attending schools in Ontario

Uoft2005 I got an email saying thanks for coming out...etc etc

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gattuso19

When specifically do we write the challenge exam? The invite gave absolutely no information about that. Any insight on this sensodyne or kooman?

Guest sensodyne

well, if i I remember correctly, the website or maybe an email they sent to me said that we'd write the exam on the day of our interview. However, seeing as everyone probably has different interview times and they probably would like us to write it all at the same time, I'm not sure how they will do this.

all i know is that I am going to have to marry my physio book for a month (and then get an annulment:rollin )

Guest Tonick

BUZZ15, who are you to say who has an acceptance and who doesn't? You're in 3rd year, so relax, finish your undergrad and reapply next year. And if you didn't prepare for the DAT, well it just shows how much you care for Dentistry. An 85 is brutal bro!!! I don't mean to be harsh but you really should buckle down next time, even if it means sacrificing your performance on some of your coursework at the time.

Also some factors to consider:

1) OOP vs In Province

2) Quality of your undergrad institution

3) Difficulty of your program of study

I have no doubt that UWO looks at these things. Just look at how much research they've done into the courses at other schools for their physiology requirement. They obviously know the relative difficulty between programs at Ontario Universities.

Another theory I have, is that a lot people who got an interview at U of T, have been waitlisted for an interview at UWO. This is probably done to avoid interviewing people that have already gotten accepted into U of T, and may account for the fact that so many of you with high stats have been shut out.

Again, this is just a theory, LOL

Guest buzz15

Buddy,

I know 85 is not a good score...the only thing i did to prepare for the DAT was some soap carving so I wasn't expecting much...the thing that gets me is just the people that will not meet the 2 year minimum average of 80% because they already know from 1st semester marks that the will not get accepted...not saying that i deserve the spot but someone else with DAT marks in the 90's, inprovince etc etc should get the interview spot over the people that will not make the GPA requirement. I am saying that western as well as uofT should use more criteria in their selection for interviews besides your proposed quality of undergrad institution and difficulty of program idea

Guest predentalguy

thanks uoft 2005...

did u talk to them and find out what the deal is.. i mean what was there criteria for the people who got an interview??

Tonick.. i dont think they have preference for IP vs OP students.... it says that on there website they treat all canadian applicants under the same umbrella and noncanadian under another..

but ya maybe someone should call and ask all these questions... it may be even beneficial to those who got interviews.. just so we could know what they were looking for and what chances we have..

cheers...

PS.. uoft crew when u guys wanna link up...

Guest Blowfly99

Did anyone not receive an email from Western yesterday? I tried to call today but it appears that no one is going to be available to answer questions until Monday.

Guest Tonick

That kind of sucks that In Province students aren't given any sort of preference!!! Ontario's population is upwards of 10 million, yet our dental schools have a total of around 130 spots open to all Canadians/Int'l students!!! Why do other schools in Canada (especially in the West) give preference to their in Province applicants and Ontario doesn't?

Look at Saskatchewan with a whopping population of

1 million...:rolleyes They let in 28 people, half of which must be in province. So that's 15 spots / 1 million population.

Shouldn't Ontario therefore allocate 150 spots for its students??? I'm using a "per-capita" argument here. Why doesn't the CDA try to standardize this? It is incredibly unfair when looking at dentists across Canada. I guess this is just vindication for the "Western Alienation" that Trudeau started many years back, LOL.

Guest predentalguy

hahahha audio man take it easy buddy... it might be good to throw around some ideas and get things cleared up.. but ya i guess its open to everyone who is interested in UWO who is at uoft right now...

how about whoever is interested just pm me and well get something started...

cheers

Guest dentin09

tonick,

UBC doesn't show any preference to in-province applicants... it's an "International School" and the only Dental School in BC.. Ontario has a couple... quit whining

yah I agree Sensodyne....

Someone from in province got an interview with 80...and out of people with 85% are being rejected. Plus what you say ... it doesn't take a genious ....

Guest shesallDAT

So, you're saying they have an "unstated" policy to prefer Ontario students? At one time I had e-mailed them about it and they insisted that the applicant's province makes no difference... But can we believe them? 0]

I'm from BC and REALLY hoping to get in to Western... :|

Guest predentalguy

yo its no consipiracy... haha.. seriosulyl... if they say they dont give any preference to IP vs OP students its prolly true... it wont hurt them to say otherwise since almost all other dental schools in canada say it...

plus it says on there website... the reason why there are less OOP students accepted is there are usually less applicants from OOP... many people wanna stay where they are and dont bother applying out of province..

cheers

Guest predentalguy

uoft crew.... so far i got three of us on board to meet up for the interview session... i guess if there is anyone else interested u can just pm me... cuz im thinking maybe we can meet up sometime next week or the week after... well prolly be meeting up somewhere at uoft...

cheers

Archived