Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Guest Audio

oh guys, i'm just kidding. I say go to the school that's best for you.

And the whole breakdancing thing...just becareful cuz I was doing my Michael Jackson crotch grab in my interview and I got kicked out :( Damn, why'd I have to do it just when that ethical question involving little kids came up :(

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aplusdent

You may also want to refrain from getting slutted up and sitting on their laps...especially if it's a woman asking your questions. It's nice to know that your patients will be happy but don't spread the love just yet. :hat

But seriously, the reason why there are no dental rankings is because everyone is looking for something different in a school. I popped the question merely to allow others to discover that what they're looking for is not a #1 school, but a school that will guide them to achieve their ambitions. One has to consider the structure of the classes, class size, student: prof ratio, the environment/location, and so on. The school's reputation only gives you an inkling as to how well you'll fit into the school's program.

Guest ChinaMan2004

Masari,

u can try doing some poppin's at ur UWO interivew, coz i honestly think that demonstrates ur manual dexteiry better than breaking does :P (do a lil' Wigglez style electric boogaloo should get u in!!!)

Guest sensodyne

dental chick,

I don't know about McGill other than that it's the cheapest school in Canada. I do know more about ubc, hwoever. It's not only the most expensive school in canada, but their students also do not get clinical experience until the 3rd year. It's easier to get into relative to other schools b/c of these 2 reasons. But that doesn't mean everyone who applies gets in either...it's still competitive.

If you check some old threads, you'll find more about why ubc doesn't have a good reputation.

Guest Aplusdent

Did all the money that UWO received go to the med or dent department...or both?? Did they do anything to improve the dent facilities with all the new dinero?

Guest roofus

Initially Med got a whack of dough. But good old Seymour ponied up some cash for us dents.

Most of the money has gone into an endowment for entering scholarships and scholarships for yearly scholastic achievements.

The clinic is being overhauld bit by bit. The endo clinic is pretty good. There are 8 operatories each with a digital rad unit and lcd's. There are also 2 surgical microscopes (oops..did I break that file). The main clinic has approx 20 new cubicles. There are going to be continued renovations for the remaining cubicles (don't know how long that will be).

Other monies to fund projects has come from Nobel Biocare.

Guest blingbling

Roofus,

Any idea what sort of scholarships UWO offers their students entering the dent program? I know their med department offers full scholarships for 4 years to some med students ... highly doubt same is for dent, but is there any money whatsover offered?

I'm pretty sure UofT offers nothing, or minimal at best unfortunetly.

Guest Hugo69

Endo clinic is good if you ever get the chance to bring your patient into the clinic to do some work. Don't get me started on the @#%$ they make us go through to bring patients in.

Guest Emily44

Got an email today saying my waitlist status was still valid but they would let me know on April 10th if I get an interview or not. Did anyone else hear the same or different? Thanks

Guest hippo55

i got an email from western today too but they said that I'm off the waiting list and got an interview!!! the only day left is April 23 though... all spaces are filled up for Saturday

Guest roofus

I think they offer around 10k for entering students. I do not remember the number and have just asked a few classmates. I am sure they are not full ride however. Will update if there is further info.

Guest buzz15

hey waitlisted people,

I got the email also, I would assume everyone did. Besides figuring out how many more people they can interview, there is an ODA conference this weekend where there may or may not be talk about interview weekend at Western. This could benefit the waitlisted people by recruiting more alumni to facilitate more interviews...who knows?? Lets keep our fingers crossed!

I just thought I would point that out...Good luck

Guest Tonick

That's kinda weird how people wouldn't accept the invitation to their UWO interview (cause the waitlist moved) seeing as how most schools haven't given offers of admission yet, and med schools haven't either.

Guest pinkflowers101

in what year do students at uwo get to work on "real" people in the clinic?

how many hours a week do they get to do it?

thanks to anyone who replies ;)

Guest roofus

This year, the second year students paired up to do complete dentures on patients. They started a couple of weeks into the year. It works out to be 3 hours per week with the patients plus associated lab time which could be...anyones guess. The second years also do a recall and some scaling with patients.

To add to the scholarship point, the school gives out bursaries to most of the students. This year, if you paid your own tuition (ie not your parents) and were in 4th year, you would have received $11,000.

Guest roofus

To get a bursary you have to show need for assisstance. Most, if not all, students have debt. Most people in fourth year will have between 75-125k worth of debt. Personally, I am lucky that my parents help me out with my tuition. I applied for a bursary dislosing my parents contribution and I still received $5400. We still have debt from living/travelling/etc. I am one of the BC-ers here at western.

Guest Tonick

Do you guys think it would hurt someone if they transferred a CDA interview score from another school? I think if I were in an adcom I would be a little ticked off that the applicant doesn't care enough to actually visit the school they want to get into. Just my view.

Guest sensodyne

actually, the dean prefers students to transfer scores rather than go there for another interview. I emailed them before to make sure that they allow applicants to do multiple interviews. I personally won't be transferring my score b/c I have never been to London before, so I'd like the opportunity to tour the campus and the city. Besides, I have to write the challenge exam.

Guest sensodyne

my understanding was that mcgill does not use the standardized CDA interview format. If that's the case, then western won't accep that score. better to be safe and ask western yourself though.

Guest Gattuso19

Is it possible to find out your score before you transfer it just incase you aren't sure on how you did? Sending a poor score for example would be risky if you didn't really know how you did.

Any UWO waitlist applicants received anything from UWO? They said in their email that they will notify us by April 10, but I still haven't received anything yet. Is it just me or are they slow in sending them out?:o

Archived