Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

As we're heading into the last day of hearing back about interviews tomorrow, I thought this might be a good time to create a spreadsheet for this year with how many weeks we did in a specialty, our home/school region and where we get interviews. I know the spreadsheet from last year was helpful for me in getting an idea of what to expect with no away electives, and next year's class will be in the same position as us!

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11IaHtji_a-SMJBjt3Ar5_2bQJ3pnfnXAsGHy7ELXChM/edit?usp=sharing

17 minutes ago, claypot said:

Anyone else surprised and disappointed with how their IM application panned out? Every elective was in IM and still got much less interviews than I expected, feeling pretty dejected :(

You're not alone. Same boat for me. I even took advice from people around me and ditched my parallel plan to do my electives only in IM. Unfortunately, many of the program descriptions this year seem to imply that they don't care as much about your electives because of COVID. Perhaps there have been a lot more applications this year. Queen's email to rejected applicants mentions that they got 900+ applications, and their program description says their 5-year average for applications was 400-600 applications, a far cry from 900.

35 minutes ago, claypot said:

Anyone else surprised and disappointed with how their IM application panned out? Every elective was in IM and still got much less interviews than I expected, feeling pretty dejected :(

All IM electives, good letters, decent CV - applied 13 spots, got 4 interviews. Kinda wondering if other people are in the same boat. 

Does anyone know when programs have to update the waitlist status. Is there a specific date or can it be anytime up until the interview date? 

I am currently on 3 waitlists for IMG gen surg and ortho. Super disappointing since I highly doubt any IMG will give up an interview for a surgical position, but I am still keeping the hope alive!

Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, nachos604 said:

Does anyone know when programs have to update the waitlist status. Is there a specific date or can it be anytime up until the interview date? 

I am currently on 3 waitlists for IMG gen surg and ortho. Super disappointing since I highly doubt any IMG will give up an interview for a surgical position, but I am still keeping the hope alive!

Thanks! 

Most programs require applicants to confirm by mid next week. Hopefully you'll get an update by then. Fingers crossed!!

Don't lose hope!

1 minute ago, Med94 said:

My CaRMS online shows that I wasn't selected for an interview, but I just received an email from the program with the interview date and time ?!

Any idea on how to act? Should I mention this to the program. I'm afraid they'll cancel the interview LOL

Yup! Contact them and ask. Happened to a few people last year as well

1 hour ago, claypot said:

Same boat here I received only 2 interviews from 9 applications.

all electives in IM, decent Cv, resesrch etc

its a very brutal year it seems for IM

l guess schools are prioritizing their students? Also it looks that there is unseen high volume of applicants this year to IM

best of luck 

1 hour ago, 8rue said:

You're not alone. Same boat for me. I even took advice from people around me and ditched my parallel plan to do my electives only in IM. Unfortunately, many of the program descriptions this year seem to imply that they don't care as much about your electives because of COVID. Perhaps there have been a lot more applications this year. Queen's email to rejected applicants mentions that they got 900+ applications, and their program description says their 5-year average for applications was 400-600 applications, a far cry from 900.

It was over 1000 last year.