Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

Hey! I'm applying in FM and I was wondering if there are any MD graduates from the French universities currently doing their residency outside of Quebec? Was the transition fairly easy?

Also, I'm hesitating between McGill (Gatineau) and UBC for the ranking. What are some good and bad things about these programs? I want to make the right decision, but they are both really equal to me at this point.

Thanks!! :)

4 hours ago, FMForever said:

Hey! I'm applying in FM and I was wondering if there are any MD graduates from the French universities currently doing their residency outside of Quebec? Was the transition fairly easy?

Also, I'm hesitating between McGill (Gatineau) and UBC for the ranking. What are some good and bad things about these programs? I want to make the right decision, but they are both really equal to me at this point.

UBC is a big program, and the sites/cities are very different. Hard to group them all into one. 

On 2/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, SkepticalStudent said:

Is it super bad form to ask the program why you weren't offered an interview? (I'm just bummed that my absolute top choice rejected me </3 and was literally the only program to reject me pre-interview... Hurts pretty good.)

I wonder if you ended up doing it.. I was thinking of doing the same thing for a program I was very interested in. I even have the email drafted but I do not have the guts to send it yet..

1 hour ago, 2022carms said:

I wonder if you ended up doing it.. I was thinking of doing the same thing for a program I was very interested in. I even have the email drafted but I do not have the guts to send it yet..

I've never done it personally but one of the now residents from my school who applied to a smaller specialty told us he emailed one of the programs who rejected him pre-interview asking for feedback/express his interest/ 'if there's anyone cancelling their interview please keep me in mind' and ended up getting an interview invite after the fact. Of course this is anecdote N=1.

2 hours ago, 2022carms said:

I did; I've gotten this far on grit and persistence and figured I had nothing to lose. And...

I was put on the waitlist! Even in the event of an extremely last minute cancellation, and have left that entire day open just in case.

10 minutes ago, SkepticalStudent said:

I did; I've gotten this far on grit and persistence and figured I had nothing to lose. And...

I was put on the waitlist! Even in the event of an extremely last minute cancellation, and have left that entire day open just in case.

Congratulations!! Crossing my fingers for you! 

Hope you don't mind me asking, did you ask them to reconsider or you just mentioned this program was of great interest of you and you are hoping to get feedback on why you were rejected for interview? 

1 hour ago, 2022carms said:

Congratulations!! Crossing my fingers for you! 

Hope you don't mind me asking, did you ask them to reconsider or you just mentioned this program was of great interest of you and you are hoping to get feedback on why you were rejected for interview? 

Thanks! I honestly don't think it'll happen as it's such a small pool of invitees (if I were amongst them, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep my spot lol), but at least I can say I tried.

And to answer your question: the latter! I did not ask them to reconsider, only that I was seeking feedback to possibly identify weaknesses I could work on. (Somehow asking them to reconsider me feels... presumptuous somehow?! So I think I took the safer route!)

On 2/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, FMForever said:

Hey! I’m from mcgill and love Montreal but my colleagues from out of province often comment on the inefficiencies of our system. When you come from systems where EMR is streamlined and just everything is much much more efficient it can be really frustrating. I think Mcgill’s FM program definitely trains you well, and obviously you know French if you’re applying to Gatineau but I’ve also heard excellent things about UBC! If I could’ve moved and was ok leaving the city UBC would’ve been my first choice. The cities were how i really based my ranking, not the programs as much. I wanted to be around my friends/family etc 

2 hours ago, pbjtime said:

Would you do this even for big programs like FM, or when you don't actually meet the PD before/during your interview?

There's no harm in not doing it post-interview. I know none of my friends who matched to their top FM program choices emailed to say thank you afterwards. I didn't either for psych. It's not an expected practice in Canada.

1 hour ago, Persephone said:

There's no harm in not doing it post-interview. I know none of my friends who matched to their top FM program choices emailed to say thank you afterwards. I didn't either for psych. It's not an expected practice in Canada.

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Dreamer2022 said:

Any idea how useful virtual socials are? They seem chaotic. Does anyone know if programs use them to evaluate applicants? 

All the programs I interviewed at were explicit about not using them to evaluate us. However, if you do anything red flaggy that might get you ranked lower. Just be professional during them. I found some more useful than others, but I did like to show my face and ask at least one question if I had one so that I was maybe more memorable.

Just throwing this out there, was wondering if people had a general idea how competitive anesthesiology is at their home school. Seems at UBC there are 35-40 people interested with a program capacity of 20 spots. Residents and staff keep telling me how surprised they are at the massive interest this year, was wondering if this was the case at other schools.