Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

30 minutes ago, CaRMS2022 said:

Nevermind, just heard back from the program that I was really interested in :)

I would like to know the answer to this. I have one interview left to hear from, Calgary General Surgery and someone has posted here that they heard last week, but I have nothing. Not even a rejection. Don't know how long tonight I should be refreshing my email lol

Does anyone know how bad it is if we can't make the pre-interview socials? Some programs I'm applying to have socials the night before. I have some FM interviews in the evenings that will very likely conflict with the socials and can't move the FM interviews without creating more conflicts. Worried this will seriously affect my candidacy for the program.

1 hour ago, mew said:

Does anyone know how bad it is if we can't make the pre-interview socials? Some programs I'm applying to have socials the night before. I have some FM interviews in the evenings that will very likely conflict with the socials and can't move the FM interviews without creating more conflicts. Worried this will seriously affect my candidacy for the program.

programs understand people cannot always make those as there are travel considerations etc. The places I was at specifically took efforts to avoid having people not going to those from having any negative impact on things. 

Just now, carmsinoid said:

My understanding is yes. All of mine are at least.

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

programs understand people cannot always make those as there are travel considerations etc. The places I was at specifically took efforts to avoid having people not going to those from having any negative impact on things. 

That's what I'm worried about- are programs still going to be understanding of conflicts now that they know we don't have to travel?

On 2/18/2022 at 8:48 PM, mew said:

That's what I'm worried about- are programs still going to be understanding of conflicts now that they know we don't have to travel?

well not just travel is my point I suppose - just well life.....and that means in particular the grading schemes for these things are set up to avoid introducing a confound etc. Socials are unstructured as well so it just isn't a good way to evaluate people.

There is also a general principle here - socials are designed to let people learn something about a program more than the program learning something about you (which is what the interview is for). Unless you do something obviously stupid at them they just don't matter for evaluation. 

Edited by rmorelan

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

well not just travel is my point I suppose - just well life.....and that means in particular the grading schemes for these things are set up to avoid introducing a confound etc. Socials are unstructured ass well so it just isn't a good way to evaluate people.

There is also a general principle here - socials are designed to let people learn something about a program more than the program learning something about you (which is what the interview is for). Unless you do something obviously stupid at them they just don't matter for evaluation. 

Have you heard of programs that actually take socials into account for the final selection? Not just who attended VS who didn't, but if one attends, would they evaluate how much one talks and "fits"? Honestly I'm horrible with Zoom socialization, just don't have that bone in me haha

5 minutes ago, 8rue said:

Have you heard of programs that actually take socials into account for the final selection? Not just who attended VS who didn't, but if one attends, would they evaluate how much one talks and "fits"? Honestly I'm horrible with Zoom socialization, just don't have that bone in me haha

honestly no. Further that is even with the in person ones which are easier to do this sort of thing

IM applicants, is it normal that I don't know the interview times for most of the programs that invited me? I only got the interview invite notification, not the actual official email from the program itself with specific interview times. The centralized IM interview booking portal lists interview days but without times.

2 hours ago, 8rue said:

IM applicants, is it normal that I don't know the interview times for most of the programs that invited me? I only got the interview invite notification, not the actual official email from the program itself with specific interview times. The centralized IM interview booking portal lists interview days but without times.

The details are usually in the email from the programs themselves, maybe double check spam if you did not receive any emails from any programs. Or, they may not have sent it yet!