Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

7 minutes ago, burner34098 said:

anyone have strategies for getting over the feeling of defeat with rejections? Still waiting on most of my interview results but so far have more rejections than invites and not confident enough to believe things are going to look up for other schools

I'm sorry, it's never a good feeling getting rejections. I know depending on what specialty you applied to, it can be very very competitive. I also like to think by this stage, we are looking for the right fit and so are them. Maybe a certain program does not value the experiences and skills you bring, you probably don't want to be at that program then. You are also interviewing them! Also, you only get to go to 1 place in the end, so you only need 1 opportunity.

Good luck with the rest of CaRMS! Rooting for ya. 

Just now, Medstudent2022 said:

Thanks! Do you know if there is still hope to get an interview tomorrow or they usually get released all on the same day?...

I have no idea, All I know is McGill FM is really tough on IMGs, I am in the same boat, I haven’t received any invites nor rejection, although I didn’t have much expectations for that, there are 74 positions for Montreal regular stream and they prefer applicants who are very good at French although they have not asked for proof

8 hours ago, Samic1988 said:

I have no idea, All I know is McGill FM is really tough on IMGs, I am in the same boat, I haven’t received any invites nor rejection, although I didn’t have much expectations for that, there are 74 positions for Montreal regular stream and they prefer applicants who are very good at French although they have not asked for proof

Not "proof" by any means but they mentioned that you could strengthen your application by writing a paragraph of your personal letter in French. My French is not stellar but I ended up deciding to write a couple paragraphs in French and wonder if maybe that helped a little?!

12 hours ago, Medstudent2022 said:

Thanks! Do you know if there is still hope to get an interview tomorrow or they usually get released all on the same day?...

On the tracker, McGill FM Gatineau invitations were released yesterday. I got my interview invite from the program today, so it can still happen (Fingers crossed)

22 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

McGill FM invites are out, I am wondering anyone have received any refusal either in CaRMS or by email? Or it is just not receiving invites?

I don't think Val d'Or is out yet. Nobody put it on the tracker yet. Honestly, I'm still receiving McGill FM invites, I just got the Chateauguay invite a few minutes ago

14 hours ago, CD941 said:

Same boat here. I didn’t get an interview despite having pretty strong MSPR. I got so stressed and started checking every verb meaning in my MSPR.

have you provided french proof thu? (Althu i speak french). Me I did not and I remain hopeful that it was the reason

Unfortunately I had confirmed with UdeM IM that they do not require a proof of French, so this shouldn't be the reason. Here's hoping no all programs will review our MSPRs as harshly. Or perhaps we did the CV wrong? Who knows...

47 minutes ago, 7rue said:

Unfortunately I had confirmed with UdeM IM that they do not require a proof of French, so this shouldn't be the reason. Here's hoping no all programs will review our MSPRs as harshly. Or perhaps we did the CV wrong? Who knows...

Wow, what kind of MSPR are they looking for then!? This only adds tons to the stress level

1 minute ago, CD941 said:

Wow, what kind of MSPR are they looking for then!? This only adds tons to the stress level

I feel you buddy. We're in this together.

I had 2 somewhat unfair negative comments in mine, and everything else is pretty solid. I didn't think of challenging the comments because I figured it happens and they were not THAT negative, but in retrospect I definitely should have.

9 minutes ago, 7rue said:

I feel you buddy. We're in this together.

I had 2 somewhat unfair negative comments in mine, and everything else is pretty solid. I didn't think of challenging the comments because I figured it happens and they were not THAT negative, but in retrospect I definitely should have.

I feel you too. Hopefully we will get good news from the remaining.

And like 2 negative comments are not the end the world!! Unless there are no flags erc then i dont see that as a basis of exclusion at all!!

10 minutes ago, CD941 said:

I feel you too. Hopefully we will get good news from the remaining.

And like 2 negative comments are not the end the world!! Unless there are no flags erc then i dont see that as a basis of exclusion at all!!

Thought so as well and hopefully that will be the stance of most file reviewers! Best of luck friend, hopefully we get good news on the 18th.

6 minutes ago, interestedinrads said:

People here are surprisingly calm here... when should we start panicking? I've recieved 2/6 interviews for programs I have applied for so far (moderately competitive specialty, not rads despite my name). Anyone else in a similar boat??

I think it depends if your remaining programs have released any offers yet. If a lot have and you haven't heard back yet, then you might be in a less ideal situation compared to if no one has heard from those remaining 4 programs yet. For context, I have the same ratio of interviews to programs applied as you. (But I applied to about 4x the number of programs as you, so I've got 4x the number of interviews currently.)

20 minutes ago, interestedinrads said:

People here are surprisingly calm here... when should we start panicking? I've recieved 2/6 interviews for programs I have applied for so far (moderately competitive specialty, not rads despite my name). Anyone else in a similar boat??

Most programs will wait until tomorrow or Friday to release their invitations and refusals. If no one has yet to report an answer from a program in the Interview Tracker, you definitely should not think that no news = bad news.

1 minute ago, interestedinrads said:

Sorry, I can clarify - I applied to 12 programs total, of which 6 have released invites. Recieved 2 invites, 4 rejections. Here's to hoping for the last 6.

Sometimes it feels neurotic, other I feel like I should actually be worried. :wacko:

Oh I see... Like someone said in an earlier comment, every program is looking for different attributes in candidates, so you might even get all 6 of the remaining programs! You never know...