Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2022 -- Discussions

5 minutes ago, caramelpanic said:

A lot of the programs I've heard back from ask us to confirm if we're attending the interview. 

Otherwise I can't imagine it making a difference

@caramelpanic the programs I've heard from, asked to use a link to pick a date. I'm debating if, on top of that, I should reply to the email and thank them as well. Don't want to be the one person who does or does not thank them.

10 minutes ago, DeeplySuperficial said:

@caramelpanic the programs I've heard from, asked to use a link to pick a date. I'm debating if, on top of that, I should reply to the email and thank them as well. Don't want to be the one person who does or does not thank them.

I did thank all the invites I got. It can’t hurt!

41 minutes ago, Dreamer2022 said:

Anyone have any advice for getting over a rejection from your top choice... burns 

Assume you match at a different place, you'll still be able to finish residency and become royal college certified, think long term.

Instead of ruminate over why you don't like a different place, try to find the "hidden gem" in the new place. Be pro-active and be a successful resident. Know what you want long term. 

PASS YOUR RC EXAM. That's first and foremost. Don't let anything distract you from that.

I didn't match to my first choice. In retrospect it's not all doom and gloom. I lived in a cheaper place, bought my own house for first time, accumulated nice equity, and made some $ when I sold. You can imagine how good I feel when I see my classmates in the big city complaining about how fast rent goes up lol.

Not to mention my first choice program is too academic in retrospect, I would've felt miserable in that environment. I got declined for a few fellowship/staff position as well, even at home program (for fellowship) and external places where I did elective and got good feedback. Again, I move forward. I make the most out of what's offered and right now I can honestly say my work environment and compensation is heck a lot better than some of what I was offered before. The staff at my home program (some with 2 fellowships lol) makes nowhere close to what I make and they work like an ass.

Sometimes the hardest part about transitioning from med school to residency to staff is the change in mindset. Most people are used to the mindset that they have to beg other people (aka as undergrad you beg for marks, then you beg med school for admission, then you beg PD for residency, fellowship etc).

When you are finished, RC certified, you become an asset, not a liability. You have to tell yourself you are valuable. It may not seem obvious, because sometimes jobs are hard to come by. But cast a wide net, don't restrict yourself, don't cloud your eyes with prejudice about certain locations or work. If you show up to a new workplace and show them why you're an asset, you realize all of a sudden everyone wants you to work for them.

Good reputation can spread fast. Sometimes residency/work is like banks, when you have no money they don't wanna lend you. When you have money everyone wants to lend to you. So first goal is get matched and get a job after your RC exam. Once you're in residency show them your value, develop your trademark. Then one day you just might find yourself being a hot commodity all of a sudden.

So strange... I'm getting rejections from places I thought were relatively "safe" (200-400 applicants, interviewing 50-75% of applicants), and getting invites to places I wasn't even counting on so much (400-600 applicants, interviewing 25-50%). I'm trying to get a sense of how strong of a file I have heading into the interviews, but this is so confusing.

6 minutes ago, 7rue said:

So strange... I'm getting rejections from places I thought were relatively "safe" (200-400 applicants, interviewing 50-75% of applicants), and getting invites to places I wasn't even counting on so much (400-600 applicants, interviewing 25-50%). I'm trying to get a sense of how strong of a file I have heading into the interviews, but this is so confusing.

If you're getting invites to places that are generally more competitive judging by the % offered interviews, I'd take that as a sign that you have a strong file and use that knowledge to go into your interviews with confidence!

9 minutes ago, 7rue said:

Every program has it's own way of evaluating files and emphasis on what it's looking for, and then your file is getting evaluated by different individuals at each program. So it can be a bit random! The two places I thought for sure I would get interviews at (my home school and my home town) did not interview me, but I got interviews at other places that were equally or more competitive. And I matched just fine, thank goodness.

14 minutes ago, Allystat said:

For people applying to family, did the UofA urban program send emails to book interviews? I only received an email from the rural stream to book, but was accepted to both the urban and rural interviews. Just want to make sure i'm not missing anything! Thanks :)

I've only gotten the email to book rural as well

1 hour ago, Allystat said:

For people applying to family, did the UofA urban program send emails to book interviews? I only received an email from the rural stream to book, but was accepted to both the urban and rural interviews. Just want to make sure i'm not missing anything! Thanks :)

I've only received the invite notification from carms but no communication from UofA. I only applied to the urban program.

EDIT: nvm they sent it out 20 min ago.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:27 PM, Britney said:

I applied for over 12 programs and got only 10 rejections so far. If some successful candidates who got invites can guide me on who is good for CV preparation, I will really appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

I know some people that used the template from UOttawa for their CV. Available here, but the other resources seem to require student login info.  https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/students/tools-future-residents

Hey, in the 'CARMS 2022 - Interview Tracker (INVITATIONS ONLY)' forum, it says Calgary FM CMG sent out invites today. People I have spoken to have not heard back from Calgary for family medicine yet. Did they only send out regrets or interviews and not the other - wondering if that's the reason people I have spoken to have not heard back.