Premed 101 Forums

losing hope with peds personal statements

Hey all, title pretty much sums it up. I'm applying broadly to peds this year and trying to chip away at these personal statements has been rough and I'm not even half way done. I can't help but think that there's nothing exciting/fascinating about my personal statements. I truly am passionate about pursuing peds but, in writing these letters, I can't help but think of all the other applicants who have done so much more than me and likely have much more compelling personal stories. With peds becoming increasingly more competitive, my fear is not even landing interviews given how important personal statements likely are and how I don't feel confident in them. Not really a question, just feeling hopeless and wanted to vent it here in case anyone relates :(

In a similar boat (applying to a different field)!

I have never considered myself a strong writer so writing these has been painful. I don't have any sort of unique metaphor or profound patient case "hook" which many examples seem to have... I've had a base draft for the last 2 weeks that has been read over by a few. Basically varying feedback, some people saying it reads fine and others not surprisingly saying it sounds generic. With people saying different things about the personal statement I have no idea how to approach it lol. And even if I did want to make it more interesting no idea how I would even do so. 

I am not PD but if 100 applicants apply to a program, do PDs seriously read all that personal statements in detail to pick out the nuances? Like if each statement is 700 words, 100 statements = 70K words, that's like a novel there.

If anything I learned from music is that the first 4 bars are the most crucial. So rather than agonizing over an entire personal statement, maybe only focus on the first 2 sentences, and let the rest flow from there.

Maybe open with a quote that catches one's eye: “Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.”

Disclaimer: not peds, but have reviewed several years of CaRMS files.

Just tell your story. Not everyone has a major hook or anecdote as to what drew them towards their specialty. People who are reading these statements care about: 1) that you understand what the specialty entails, 2) that you are not glorifying it and expecting something unrealistic without considering the negatives of the specialty, 3) that you display some of that qualities required to thrive in that specialty, and 4) that your personality will jive with that specific program/department (no evidence of overconfidence, cockiness, etc.).

The examples of statements I have read that become a long narrative of hyperbolic adjectives and anecdotes that try to get our attention without providing any of the actual information above immediately get put to the bottom of the pile. Just write clearly in an organized fashion that clearly communicates why you want to pursue "x" specialty.

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

I am not PD but if 100 applicants apply to a program, do PDs seriously read all that personal statements in detail to pick out the nuances? Like if each statement is 700 words, 100 statements = 70K words, that's like a novel there.

A lot of PDs will (as that is in fact one of their main roles as PD), but even if they don't there are others on the committee who will. CaRMS decisions, especially in specialties like peds/IM/family, etc. that are quite large, rarely come down to a single persons decision.

Your personal statement should just talk about YOU and why YOU would be a good choice for peds resident at their program. The "my grandma/sibling/self got sick and the docs did a great/terrible job and ever since I was inspired to be a pediatric neuro-orthopedic surgeon" is extremely cliched. If that's your story, go for it, but if not, don't feel bad. You obviously are applying peds for some reason, so own it, and try and relate it to why it means you would be a good fit for program X.

When I applied peds I basically did a generic 2 page letter, than did a custom paragraph in the middle for the individual program, with some minor changes throughout for each program, and then cut stuff to fit the individual program's letter length requirement and it was fine!