Premed 101 Forums

I’m just over CaRMs and these interviews :(

This post is really just a vent. To start off, I was waitlisted/rejected for some of the schools I was really hoping to interview at. During an interview today, there was a station with the PD and I felt that most of the time was spent me asking them questions rather than the other way around. I feel that it’s my fault because I didn’t elaborate more on my responses, and so I worry I came off as uninterested. The PD then spent the rest of the time answering my questions, which doesn’t really give me the chance to showcase much to such an important member of the selection committee. I felt terrible about the interview and this is only one of the MANY things that I feel that I messed up during this interview and prior interviews last week. 

It’s week two of interviews and I’m really losing hope in myself. These interviews have been so overwhelming. I try my best to be my authentic self, but I can’t help but think that there is really nothing that makes me stand out. My responses are basic, I don’t have the most exciting clinical examples. To top it off, attending these socials has contributed significantly to this self-doubt. Getting to meet all the other amazing applicants makes me think “why would they rank me”. It’s to the point where I just don’t even want to attend the socials and I feel that my confidence is taking a hit as I continue with my remaining interviews.

I’m burnt out from this entire process and the uncertainty of so much of it is getting to me. I dont know how much value is placed on interviews, I don’t know how I’m doing during these interviews, and I just don’t know how to stand out.

Sorry for this long rant :(

I feel the same way too, the zoom fatigue is really setting in and during the socials it's getting so tiring. I've been telling myself that I'm lucky to have the interviews I got and that they are a sign that programs are interested. Hopefully that will shine through in the interviews as well. 

Hoping for the best outcome for all of us! 

Feeling this way as well. I got a few interviews to a competitive specialty which I am incredibly thankful for. But it feels like I’m just wasting them. My interview for my home school (which i feel is my only real chance) went terribly today and the interview has basically been replaying itself in my head all day - and it’s exhausting. Anyone have advice on how not to do this?

Totally agree about the socials too - I know these applicants are great people and honestly good for them for having lived such impressive lives but it really does a number on my confidence right before the interview.

It has been shown time and time again that an interviewees ability to predict the success of their interview is poor. People tend to intensify the things they think went poorly and discount or ignore anything that went well, especially when you are already have a negative attitude before you even start. Everyone goes through this and ultimately for vast majority of people it works out well. Use the coping skills you have developing in your life (see friends, family, talk to colleagues about how you're feeling, exercise, distract yourself) to get through this very short period of time. In this line of work there is always something equally as stressful on the other side (MCAT --> med apps -> interviews -> clerkship -> CaRMS -> royal college -> job interviews -> promotions, etc.). I am not saying your feelings aren't valid, because we've all felt it, but by now you should have some valid skills/outlets to handle these stressors or the burnout is going to get way worse before your training is done.

Welcome to the real world!

I hope you match to a specialty with plenty of jobs, because you might experience worse things when it come to fellowship and jobs. 

A few years back I sent >20 applications to fellowships and the majority didn't even show the courtesy of acknowledging your application. Not to mention firing off >10 cold emails asking hospitals if they have a position, and again the majority won't even acknowledge receiving your email. More bizarre things have happened during my job search but I'll save that for another post.

So try to be resilient, because more likely than not you'll face additional hurdles somewhere in the next stage(s).  

19 hours ago, tiredapplicant said:

During an interview today, there was a station with the PD and I felt that most of the time was spent me asking them questions rather than the other way around. I feel that it’s my fault because I didn’t elaborate more on my responses, and so I worry I came off as uninterested. The PD then spent the rest of the time answering my questions, which doesn’t really give me the chance to showcase much to such an important member of the selection committee.

Perhaps the station was to just get face-time with the PD and specifically have an opportunity for applicants to ask questions, and you shouldn't worry about it.

But for anyone looking for interviewing tips, there are ways to ask questions which also discuss your background. The trick is not to make it seem like you're obviously just dropping in stuff in your CV. For example, "During medical school I had the opportunity to work on x project with Dr. Y. Does your school have ongoing research/projects in this area?" or "I have a strong interest in serving under-served populations and did X during medical school, does your program have options to do outreach clinics, etc?". Again, you have to be gentle or this can very much backfire. In any case, the types of questions you ask should be telling something about you to the PD.

Just want to say I feel the saaaame way!! Only one of my 6 interviews thus far has felt REALLY good, and it's in a city I REALLY don't want to live for 5 years :') the rest, including all my top choices thus far, have felt extremely mediocre, and have me replaying answers in my head over and over..  feels like I got all these interviews only for me to completely blow it. Anyway, no advice to give, just wanted to add another "you're not alone" <3 this process is a nightmare

yea feel like mine have been hit or miss. some panels with smiles and engagement, others no reaction to answers and overall cold. 

the ones who are cold get to me. you either don't like what im saying, or you're trying to see how i respond to that. idk, i kinda want to be at a program that would be happy to have me, not one that tries to intimidate me.

I also feel the same way. I'm applying psych and family and I thought for sure this would mean my interviews would be relatively chill, but so far I've been mostly wrong. I've only felt decent about 1 of my interviews so far and the rest are mediocre at best. I'm just kind of banking on the previously-mentioned fact that we're all really bad at judging our own interview performance. The only thing I've been doing to try and manage this is by reflecting on the interview questions and my answers and trying to think of ways to improve the answer for next time.

1.5 weeks left. I can't wait for this to be done.

5 hours ago, short_stack said:

I also feel the same way. I'm applying psych and family and I thought for sure this would mean my interviews would be relatively chill, but so far I've been mostly wrong. I've only felt decent about 1 of my interviews so far and the rest are mediocre at best. I'm just kind of banking on the previously-mentioned fact that we're all really bad at judging our own interview performance. The only thing I've been doing to try and manage this is by reflecting on the interview questions and my answers and trying to think of ways to improve the answer for next time.

1.5 weeks left. I can't wait for this to be done.

Can attest to the psych ones being painful…only one school thus far felt like they really wanted to know me and were interested in the app (not that it means I did well)… The rest feel so cold.

I've been reflecting on some of my answers and am worried I may have said some things that could be seen as controversial. For example, in the ethical scenarios, I may have brought up breaking confidentiality if I thought it was appropriate or denying care but making sure the patient has access to other services in that case, etc. I tried to indicate that I would make these decisions very carefully, only after patient was made aware, by consulting my colleagues, etc. but now I'm concerned I shouldn't be bringing up these types of things at all. Do you think this'll impact my rank/programs will see this as a red flag?

25 minutes ago, chicka said:

I've been reflecting on some of my answers and am worried I may have said some things that could be seen as controversial. For example, in the ethical scenarios, I may have brought up breaking confidentiality if I thought it was appropriate or denying care but making sure the patient has access to other services in that case, etc. I tried to indicate that I would make these decisions very carefully, only after patient was made aware, by consulting my colleagues, etc. but now I'm concerned I shouldn't be bringing up these types of things at all. Do you think this'll impact my rank/programs will see this as a red flag?

I don't think anyone here can answer that without the context of the questions... which Im sure you are not at liberty to share. Best to distract yourself until match day.

Of course CMG's should have a chance to match in Canada. In fact, they should have the best chance. Otherwise, what would be the point of going through all the hurdles to... study medicine in Canada? The most probable way to practice medicine in Canada is to graduate from a Canadian medical school, period.

In order to avoid the pitfalls of "Canadian mediocrity", as your post hx suggests, then by all means one should attend a top-tier prorgram in the US for the "experiential differences".

But I don't see how that translates to complaining about the difficulty of matching back here.

Nothing is stopping people from applying to and attending a standardized UGME program in Canada, the same way that anyone is free to attend an elite academic institution elsewhere. If one decides to place higher priority on prestige more than the opportunity to practice in Canada, then they should be able to own up to the very likely and forseeable consequence of not matching through CaRMS.

Yeah it sucks. I went through similar emotions during CaRMS, yet ended up matching to one of the most "competitive" specialties in the country as my first choice. The algorithm will work in your favour. Just put your best foot forward and don't let these emotions mess with your attitude during interviews. Gotta keep the show going for at least a few more weeks then its all calm until match day.

The period between interviews completion and match day - just enjoy it. Don't stress about it. What's done is done. Stay positive. Good luck, and positive vibes your way.

And once the interview is over, just stop thinking about it. Don't ruminate. Just move on and keep going forward.

13 hours ago, chicka said:

if it makes you feel better, I think I said the word "bum" on my mcgill interview. lol. I've done a ton of interviews by now though and I feel like the interviewers kind of zone out after 30 seconds or so so I think we analyze our answers way more than even they do haha. 

4 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

if it makes you feel better, I think I said the word "bum" on my mcgill interview. lol. I've done a ton of interviews by now though and I feel like the interviewers kind of zone out after 30 seconds or so so I think we analyze our answers way more than even they do haha. 

haha I hope that's true. I'm one of those applicants who might fare better if the interview is a smaller part of the scoring 

14 hours ago, No Name Brand said:

Last week of interviews - all the best to everybody! Remember that the algorithm works in the applicants favour and that it will likely work out for you too. Waiting for March 22nd will be tough but spend the time enjoying time with your friends/family. You are almost an MD!

Or if you are at UofT, enjoy your 3 weeks of selectives hahaha sigh

everyone stress about the interview, what they said, what they wore, how many pieces of cheese they ate at the lunch and what not but probably a lot of programs are just tweaking their pre-interview rank list rather than making up a new one.

it's just like job/fellowship hunting. A lot of positions are pre-filled already, they just get a bunch of applicants there for interview so the airlines and clothiers can get customers and they can say the hiring process was "transparent", "fair", and "equal"