Premed 101 Forums

Feeling like I’ll fail the LMCC

Hey everyone, the title sums it up.. I’m writing the LMCC in 3 days and I’m extremely anxious about it. People who wrote it over the last few days keep scaring me by telling me it was extremely difficult. I know that most CMGs pass, I’m just really worried. I haven’t studied as much as I should have, especially when it comes to topics in IM and surgery. Ever since CaRMs has been over, I’ve honestly just been completely burnt out. I have been nowhere near doing the whole 8 hrs/day of studying that people recommend doing and I’m just overall really worried going into this.

Did anyone else feel the same going into their LMCC and still managed to pass? Do residency programs find out if you fail? If so, what are the repercussions (I matched to a school in Ontario)?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread!

If worse case scenario happens, you just regroup and do it again in PGY1. I know people who've failed both LMCC1 and LMCC2 before and they're doing just fine these days. You guys are lucky in that there's no more LMCC2 lol. I remember back in the day I knew IMG who failed LMCC2 twice and finally passed it in their PGY5 year! 

You will be fine  if you are CMG (even if you were IMG you'll probably be ok I think it's just the "canadian system" questions that trip them up). Make sure you focus a bit more on areas you feel weaker (people naturally avoid them because it's more interesting to study things you're good at), use Toronto Notes for an overview, and dont neglect the PLEO section of Toronto Notes there are a surprising amount of questions on the Canadian "system" and legal/ethics (most of this is stuff you would have learned and used in clerkship though). 

I don't think anyone in my class failed as far as I know. I know I didn't study anywhere near 8 hours/day. Maybe 3-4 and tbh some of that probably wasn't super high quality studying because I was also burned out. And I scored 2 SD above the mean, not a genius or top of the class student... I was pretty avg, but didn't feel the exam was very hard. If you fail there's basically no consequences. You will probably be able to keep up general knowledge in first year because you will rotate through a variety of specialties. Take advantage of the PARO contract there should be option for exam leaves off clinical duties for a week or two prior to exam but check your contract. 

Good luck, you'll do fine. Don't stress too much, if you fail you will be a resident doctor and you can write it again later on. Plenty of very good doctors do fail these exams the first time for a variety of reasons so don't be discouraged if it happens.

I'm surprised that people around you said it was extremely difficult.  Everyone who wrote it in my circle (N~10) all said it was easy and they handed in several hours early... Just goes to show how much variance there is in subjective opinion of difficulty of the exam.  I am writing next week and wish I wrote it earlier.

The good news is that the test supposedly skews heavily towards OBGYN & psych (sad IM noises).  You are probably fine being less prepared for IM (and surgery as long as you recognize the acute abdomen).  Let's be real, people who do not care about IM do not remember PMR or primary hyperaldosteronism - those questions will get thrown out anyway.

Good luck!!!

1 hour ago, TheApiarist said:

I'm writing it next week and debating about spending $500 on the official practice test. What does everyone think?

The half test was good practice, didn’t want to spend for the whole thing. Just wanted to get practice under stress in similar conditions as the actuaL test which I found helpful. Up to your comfort level really.

Would highly recommend the official tests. I haven’t written the real thing yet, but it really gives you an idea of level of detail and styles of questions. Can guide your studying.

I find them much more reasonable than our medical school exams. A lot of gimme questions. And many times the question choices aren’t very debatable (I.e like one is obviously the answer. For example patient with MDD what is next best line and they’ll give 3 antipsychotics and 1 SSRI). And lots of questions where no matter how much studying I wouldn’t have got it. But I think it’s a lot of bread and butter.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I wrote in response to another LMCC question:

The only thing I did was the entirety of Canadian Q bank's easy and medium difficulty questions. That was more than sufficient to pass. I don't think I tried their CDM cases though. I didn't purchase the official MCCQE sample exams but heard they are good if you'd like extra practice. My final score was 280+.

• 2 months later...