Premed 101 Forums

Is splitting application a recipe for a disaster match

By splitting i mean making it look like you re aiming for multiple things. Eg. 1st gensurg, "backup IM". This could be reflected thru electives, CV (ie. Submitting generic cv that has im and gensx items), LORs (ie. Referee states applicant good for either specialty in their letter). The reason i ask is there are a ton of folks in my class who split their effort like this and fell far down their rank lost of unmatched altogether

hard to generalize, it depends on the specialty and the program. But I can speak about my experience. One of the IM attendings in my institution told me that they will throw out an application, no matter how impressive if they feel that someone is backing up with IM. This was collaborated in my class as some colleagues with impressive resumes failed to secure many IM interviews. Speaking for rad onc, many programs will straight up not interview you if they feel you are backing up with rad onc. So I guess it really depends on what you are backing up with. I think generally people should pick one competitive specialty and parallel plan with one uncompetitive specialty, but that runs the risk of said uncompetitive specialty being uncharacteristically competitive in your year (as it happened to Rad Onc this year).

Something like Surgery / IM or rads / IM etc can be tricky. I do know a colleague in my class that did this (ENT / IM) and they were successful in having many interviews in both specialties, but in that case they were very a impressive candidate to begin with so at that point it really doesn't matter what you do. 

No matter what you should NOT use generic letters. Have the person write you two letters, one for each specialty, or ask multiple people for letters. I can't think of something worse than having generic letters for CARMS outside of obvious stuff like red flags and bad evals. 

I think if you are a good candidate and you can show that you have interest enough in both specialties to convince them that you are interested, its okay to apply to two specialties.

If its clear backup (i.e. one elective and nothing much else on the resume), then yes some programs will not look at those applications no matter how impressive you are.

Its a lot harder to brush someone off with 2-3 electives, 2-3 specialty specific reference letters, interest group +/- research as backing up, so in those cases, it may be looked at as a bit of a question but they will still consider you. In those cases if you have someone to vouch or strong letters/strong app, you can match. 

It's all a feel in the end, but I think applying to two specialties, especially if they have common ground, is reasonable if you can genuinely show you have interest and ability on your application. 

If you are borderline for both specialties, then it may be better to focus on one. Its an art to put it nicely, theres nothing really scientific about CaRMS. 

I applied for 2 competitive specialties and FM. None were back ups, at the time, I was equally interested in all paths, although I had to rank them. I got my interviews where I applied and there were no issues or red flags. Based upon my experience, not only do I see no harm in applying to different fields, but you are expanding your possibilities.