Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

It's 38%.

Admittedly, I'm a fairly average for a CMG. And yes, I will hit you with a brick from behind and claw my way over your bleeding corpse to get to my residency spot.

CaRMS is brutal, and so are we :)

I'd like to see your math. Saying the answer is "2" without showing the process is meaningless.

Lol, I like how people give out empty threats when their arguments get debunked. As if you'll ever really know who I am to even have a chance to do what you claim lol. Besides, you'll be matched before the snow melts.

I'm glad I got you to reveal your true self though, and how vicious you are. So you'll hit me with a brick from behind and claw your way over my bleeding corpse to get what you want, yes? Will you sell crack to kids to get what you want? Will you sell your body to get what you want? What won't you do to get what you want? I'm glad the Canadian public is getting the "best possible care" from you CMGs :rolleyes:

People like Lau2218 and I will give you a run for your money when the time comes.

And please, I used to think that you put in those disclaimers after EVERYONE of my carms posts because you actually wanted to help people, after what you just wrote on this very public forum, I'm beginning to think that your disclaimers are nothing more than a caution you feel obliged to give in order to stop people from competing with you for that petty 41% access to the first round.

I'd like to see your math. Saying the answer is "2" without showing the process is meaningless.

Seriously? Add up the number of Ontario & BC spots (minus IMG spots) and divide by the number of total spots (minus IMG spots), then multiply by 100.

I'm glad I got you to reveal your true self though, and how vicious you are.

I'm vicious, my classmates are vicious, the process is vicious and you better hope you can bring the vicious, too. The US match is supposed to be worse than the Canadian one, and getting ever more cut-throat with each passing year. You'll see when you finally get there.

I'm beginning to think that your disclaimers are nothing more than a caution you feel obliged to give in order to stop people from competing with you for that petty 41% access to the first round.

Yes, we will try to psych you out. Yes, we will play rough. Because this is as Darwinian as it comes. But intimidating noobs won't do me any good at this point.

Seriously? Add up the number of Ontario spots (minus IMG spots) and divide by the number of total spots (minus IMG spots), then multiply by 100.

What in the heck are you talking about? I'm talking about percentage of Canadian SCHOOLS that allow the 1st iteration match. 7/17 = 41%. ANY field of specialty that these schools offer, whatever they are, also translates into FIRST pick for USDOs.

I'm vicious, my classmates are vicious, the process is vicious and you better hope you can bring the vicious, too. The US match is supposed to be worse than the Canadian one, and getting ever more cut-throat with each passing year. You'll see when you finally get there.

Lol, such big mean words for such a small spirited individual. In the grand scheme of things, I already won. They are reporting record numbers of Canadian applicants and enrollments to USDO schools this year.

Don't flatter yourself buddy, not all of us have in-province status or were born with parents that spoke English lol. If it's as vicious as you claim, you'd better have some FM backups too.

I'm making more money now than I ever did before school. Thanks to sound business logic, and not purely to work a doctor's wage. Darwinian evolution does not translate into the social scene. There's people on welfare leeching off the system and having more kids than your med school body/age will ever allow you to have- they are the ones that's winning the Darwinian evolution, not med students like you, or me.

Yes, we will try to psych you out. Yes, we will play rough. Because this is as Darwinian as it comes. But intimidating noobs won't do me any good at this point.

Sooo... you are implying that befooore this point, you did what you did (put that little dutiful disclaimer after EVERYONE of my CaRMS posts..) to psych people out and thus reduce the competition for yourself, however petty that competition might be?... How very noble of you, I can't think of a reason why you didn't go to law school.

(each post you make only shows your true colors more clearly lol..)

Congratulations.

Indeed. I just hope that in real life, you don't so easily divulge your willingness to commit murder to attain your goals :) that would be awwwwkward for your patients and your program director.

Med school is hard, no doubt, but it shouldn't destroy your humanity and turn you into a savage beast - try to remember why you got into the game in the first place ok?

For those of us that want to stay in the US to practice, we can apply to AOA residencies right? or is that limited to US citizens only?

Yes, Canadians can apply to AOA residencies. However, very few AOA residency programs sponsor H1B or J1 visa at present. So it will be a pain on your neck to get a AOA residency, at least for now.

hey guys. since this is the DO thread, can canadian schools actually see which DO schools we applied to/got accepted to...?? a comment on some old thread made me curious about this question...

i made a separate thread of this question, but just noticed this thread.

Your DO applications are submitted to AACOMAS by yourself. So Canadian schools don't see which DO schools you applied to/got accepted to, unless you tell them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Wow - I can tell you - as a non-traditional canadian applicant, this D.O. route looks amazing.

I am so frustrated with myself because 2 years ago when a mentor of mine (MD from US) told me to look into it, I wrote it off because of the negative sluff attached to the forum as well as the fear of not being able to return to BC (I realise it will still be difficult, but there is hope which is nice).

Thank you so much for all of your hard work Mash, you have seriously opened both my mind and heart to this route. I have spent the last couple of days really researching this option and to be honest with you, the D.O. philosophy somewhat fits my beliefs and lifestyle quite well.

I am very very interested in applying, even to see where I stand.

My plan was to take a second 2 year undergraduate degree at UBC, in order to apply to Canadian medical schools again, with a bit of an increased competitive edge.

I cannot really find an outline/timeline. I understand the rolling application - but I also remembered your advice on applying early.

Also - how are you finding the financial aspect of it all? That is another thing that scares me of course.

I wish I could PM you!

Sorry!

Hello,

Wow - I can tell you - as a non-traditional canadian applicant, this D.O. route looks amazing.

I am so frustrated with myself because 2 years ago when a mentor of mine (MD from US) told me to look into it, I wrote it off because of the negative sluff attached to the forum as well as the fear of not being able to return to BC (I realise it will still be difficult, but there is hope which is nice).

Thank you so much for all of your hard work Mash, you have seriously opened both my mind and heart to this route. I have spent the last couple of days really researching this option and to be honest with you, the D.O. philosophy somewhat fits my beliefs and lifestyle quite well.

I am very very interested in applying, even to see where I stand.

My plan was to take a second 2 year undergraduate degree at UBC, in order to apply to Canadian medical schools again, with a bit of an increased competitive edge.

I cannot really find an outline/timeline. I understand the rolling application - but I also remembered your advice on applying early.

Also - how are you finding the financial aspect of it all? That is another thing that scares me of course.

I wish I could PM you!

Sorry!

Hi there, you are most welcome. Yup, there was a lot of negativity associated with the profession on this forum before I showed up to clear things up. It's been almost 3 years since I applied, last I heard, they opened in early June. I'd check the actual application website periodically to see their opening date. Or visit the Canadians for DO 2011-2012 thread on pre-osteo forums on SDN.

I'm fortunate in the financial aspect as sound business decisions are paying for my tuition bills and allowing for a comfortable level of living. That being said, I also got the med school line of credit offered by banks, which helps as well. I'm definitely not having problems paying the bills, although I understand it'll be harder to others not so fortunate in the financial department.

I wish I could tell you about loan forgiveness programs, or scholarships for Canadians, but I'm not aware of any, and the only scholarship offered by the COA is no longer available. The COA is trying to look for loan forgiveness programs for rural service, but I'm not sure if they were successful or not.

hi mashmetoo,

Did your CKCH106+ CKCH107 count towards your total number of first year credits at U of T (max 6)? Also, did this credit replace your CHM139 credit?

did not count towards my first year credits at UofT as they are from Ryerson - UofT and Ryerson don't talk. Although I suppose you could go through the trouble of getting the Ryerson 106+107 counted towards your UofT 1st year credits (lots of paperwork, I wouldn't/didn't bother).

Did not replace my chm139 - again, I didn't bother getting ryerson credits converted to get UofT credits. It's like I did chm139 twice, and technically I ended up with 1.5 credits of general chemistry for US med apps (instead of the usual 1 credit prereq).

Hello,

Its not hard to return to BC as a DO. If you're desperate to return to BC, just do family medicine (anywhere in Canada or the US) and then just pass your exams and get your CCFP. If you do a US residency, only downside is its a year longer, but once you pass the AAFP exams you will be certified by the CFPC no questions asked.

There are several DOs in BC already; I used to work with one. Other specialties are saturated in BC nowadays anyway so it's very difficult to get a job in anything but a generalist specialty, even if you are an MD.

did not count towards my first year credits at UofT as they are from Ryerson - UofT and Ryerson don't talk. Although I suppose you could go through the trouble of getting the Ryerson 106+107 counted towards your UofT 1st year credits (lots of paperwork, I wouldn't/didn't bother).

Did not replace my chm139 - again, I didn't bother getting ryerson credits converted to get UofT credits. It's like I did chm139 twice, and technically I ended up with 1.5 credits of general chemistry for US med apps (instead of the usual 1 credit prereq).

Thanks for the help! :)

I was hoping Mash or someone could help me out with a question. In the interview invite email from Western U DO program, they state:

"If you are an international student or possess a permanent visa, please be prepared to provide proof of legal United States residency before you leave campus. Proof of legal US residency is required prior to any offer of admission."

So I emailed them to tell them that I am an international student coming from Canada and asked how I would provide them with proof of legal US residency and they weren't very clear. They just said I need to give them a VISA passport. Even if I provide a copy of my Canadian passport, that's not even proof of legal US residency. What do you think?

Thanks.

I was hoping Mash or someone could help me out with a question. In the interview invite email from Western U DO program, they state:

"If you are an international student or possess a permanent visa, please be prepared to provide proof of legal United States residency before you leave campus. Proof of legal US residency is required prior to any offer of admission."

So I emailed them to tell them that I am an international student coming from Canada and asked how I would provide them with proof of legal US residency and they weren't very clear. They just said I need to give them a VISA passport. Even if I provide a copy of my Canadian passport, that's not even proof of legal US residency. What do you think?

Thanks.

Just show up with your passport and maybe Canadian driver's license and you are good. They didn't ask anything of me.

Hi,

Not sure if this has been brought up but could someone please comment on this/explain what this means? (perhaps MashMeToo?)

Thanks!

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Pages/stop-ACGME-training-limits-for-DOs.aspx

Ya, the ACGME people are trying to limit training spots (fellowships mostly) for IMGs with residency training that is not from an ACGME accredited institute (read - Ireland, Australia, elsewhere). The USDOs became collateral damage as AOA residency training is not "ACGME" accredited.

USDOs who did AOA resideny will be affected. Luckily for us Canadians, AOA residencies basically don't sponsor visas for internationals, so I'm no aware of any internationals/Canadians doing an AOA residency. Meaning its business as usual for us - since Canadians should only aim for ACGME residency anyhow. I'd say this doesn't affect Canadians doing the USDO, since the AOA residency was never really a viable option for us, and it's not accepted in Canada. So nothing's changed for us, but it does suck for Americans though.

So, there's an interest in setting up some kind of financial aid/loan programs for Canadians studying at USDO schools.

it works like this (some highlights):

- each year of support will mean 1 year of service of the USDO in that city/town.

- ~40 hour work week, ~48 weeks a year, ~1 week off for GME, and ~3 for vacations.

- if the USDO cannot fulfill the contract, penalty is 10% interest compounded annually paid back on all payments

- in case of death, the contract is void and null.

- the USDO will obtain licensure in that province at the earliest opportunity in order to fulfill the contractual obligation. - i.e., FM 2 years Canada, or 3 years FM US.

- As a student, if possible complete a rotation in the community to familiarize themselves with the environment

- the USDO will receive an annual check of ~40,000 US dollars

(all this is rough and preliminary - all negotiable).

Comments? Suggestions?

If you are from a northern community or underserved community, or know of communities that may be interested in setting this up with the COA/COMSA, feel free to post suggestions and comments!!

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic