Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs Posted

Thanks for the reply GGGSaint. Definitely not trolling. I worked my butt off for the past 4 years and the rejection yesterday was a punch in the face. It is hard to start off replies with a rejection so I am hoping for some positive light to shine my way. I am only neurotic because after looking at past forums, it seems that people with 3.99-4.00 and heavy ECs have been rejected. I feel out of place.

I understand. Keep your chin up. I'd wager that you'll feel completely different in a week. By that time Western/Queen's/Ottawa & U/T (first batch) should be sent out and I'd be surprised if you didn't have a couple of interviews.

Also, the only people w/ perfect averages and heavy ECs that were rejected are the minority who do not interview well (for whatever reason). Statistically, you're ahead of everyone else in the pack...once you get a few interviews consider honing your interviewing skills (if you haven't done so previously) to make sure you stay at the head of the pack.

Nice work with that GPA, wherever you went to school.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have faced my first rejection with Mac yesterday and now I am worried that I will not get invited for an interview anywhere. Here are my stats:

3.93 OMSAS GPA (3.99 over the first 2 years. I got a 75 in one 3rd year course and it killed my GPA)

MCAT: 11 V/ 11 PS/ 10 BS Q

EC: Standard - including 2 independent research projects, 1 poster at a conference, international volunteering, over 200 hours at a hospital, facilitated study groups through the university etc...

Other than a potential interview at Western, do I have a fair shot anywhere else in Ontario or am I not even in the same boat as the other applicants?

Thanks

It is always hard to pin down things for Mac due to their different admission policies. You are competitive at every other school in Ontario on the face of it and you are still competitive for Mac - you probably just had a bad day on the CASPER system. Don't let one bump in the road pull you down :)

You're in the running at all the rest of the Ontario schools. You will have an interview from Western (provided you're taking the right courseload etc.) and have a decent shot at U/T & Ottawa (hopefully your essay/ECs are good enough for the reviewer), and a good chance at Queen's as long as they don't enforce an R writing cutoff.

Hope you're not trolling. If you're not, try to be less neurotic. The only reason you didn't gain an interview at Mac with a 3.93/11VR was a poor CASPER performance. As you know, none of the other schools use it (at least not yet).

With that GPA and MCAT, you ought to get an interview at UofT (provided your essay and LofR are up to par).

Mac is loopy...I have been unable to predict which of my friends would get an interview and which would not. Casper is the ultimate factor(46% weighting!).

I don't even have that 11 in VR so I'm done for western. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I understand. Keep your chin up. I'd wager that you'll feel completely different in a week. By that time Western/Queen's/Ottawa & U/T (first batch) should be sent out and I'd be surprised if you didn't have a couple of interviews.

Also, the only people w/ perfect averages and heavy ECs that were rejected are the minority who do not interview well (for whatever reason). Statistically, you're ahead of everyone else in the pack...once you get a few interviews consider honing your interviewing skills (if you haven't done so previously) to make sure you stay at the head of the pack.

Nice work with that GPA, wherever you went to school.

Well said. Statistically, if your GPA is high (eg, 3.9+), your MCAT meets the cutoffs, and you have decent ECs, your bound to get a few interviews. Don't let the anomalies on this forum get to you!!!

So is it reasonable us to expect the actual invites/rejections this week? Anybody, rmorelan??

Well depends on your definition of reasonable :) Our blog has stated it will be early Feb, which is the official word. It could easily be this week, it is a couple of weeks post cut off release which is normally when the interviews come out. However if it is early next week that would also be consistent with things.

The disclaimer on the Schulich site worries me...that meeting cutoffs is not a guarantee. Is that only because then they check if your application is complete, etc, or is there another factor they take into account?

well you have to get the 60% courseload thing, be graduating this year, finishing your degree.....

every school adds that escape clause to protect themselves. Honestly we release that to REDUCE stress, not to cause it :)

well you have to get the 60% courseload thing, be graduating this year, finishing your degree.....

every school adds that escape clause to protect themselves. Honestly we release that to REDUCE stress, not to cause it :)

haha, I know. There's just been so much stress lately, it's hard not to freak out and see something going wrong with the one school you can be sure of.

But thank you :)

well I probably would be in the admission's office anyway so you could do both :)

I'm very confused by what happened today. I got that email about a Masters degree and asking if I was still studying. I called them, and on the phone she said "I'll resend the email"... but, I graduated last year, and don't really understand how my transcript could be that confusing... Any idea when they'll clear this up rmorelan?

I'm very confused by what happened today. I got that email about a Masters degree and asking if I was still studying. I called them, and on the phone she said "I'll resend the email"... but, I graduated last year, and don't really understand how my transcript could be that confusing... Any idea when they'll clear this up rmorelan?

well they are looking into it - really there isn't anything to be concerned with. You could even still be doing your masters and be fine as you would have until June 30th to finish. Anyway worry not things are still on track and there is a very reliable review process even post interview invite in case we made a mistake :)

well they are looking into it - really there isn't anything to be concerned with. You could even still be doing your masters and be fine as you would have until June 30th to finish. Anyway worry not things are still on track and there is a very reliable review process even post interview invite in case we made a mistake :)

Thanks!

10char

Thanks!

10char

No worries - I know there has been a lot of confusion floating around with the other schools and that doesn't promote an atmosphere of relaxation but I guess over here (since we are the last Ontairo school with fixed cut offs) we are trying to promote a more laid back approach to things. You have the cut offs, the rules are relatively simple to understand and well known so you basically know if you are going to get an invite (no traps here). Our offical blog says the interviews will be out early Feb, which at the earliest is to tomorrow and I would say roughly for one week from that for the lastest time they will be out. If something changes it will be up on the blog for all to see :)

Stay frosty everyone!

What happens if you have:

11=verbal

10=Physical Sciences

9=Bioloigcal Sciences

I'm out of luck right?

When is Western sending out acceptances and rejections?

Yeah sorry - the cut offs this year are:

Biological Sciences: 10

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal Reasoning: 11

Writing Sample: P

the notifications are coming out early Feb. At least the MCAT is something that can be worked on and improved easier than other things in the application process.

No worries - I know there has been a lot of confusion floating around with the other schools and that doesn't promote an atmosphere of relaxation but I guess over here (since we are the last Ontairo school with fixed cut offs) we are trying to promote a more laid back approach to things. You have the cut offs, the rules are relatively simple to understand and well known so you basically know if you are going to get an invite (no traps here). Our offical blog says the interviews will be out early Feb, which at the earliest is to tomorrow and I would say roughly for one week from that for the lastest time they will be out. If something changes it will be up on the blog for all to see :)

Stay frosty everyone!

So essentially, for the 4-year degree part, they look at your transcript and your expected degree date, right?...since the OMSAS application didn't really have any option for educational information going pas Dec 2010...

Also, the reason Western is so laid back and doesn't have any "traps" is because it's so awesome...it makes we want to do O-week cheers. Too bad school spirit isn't a factor in choosing candidates :(

And rmorelan, are you THAT unchallenged by 2nd year medicine that you have so much free time to answer freaked out premeds' questions?

So essentially, for the 4-year degree part, they look at your transcript and your expected degree date, right?...since the OMSAS application didn't really have any option for educational information going pas Dec 2010...

Also, the reason Western is so laid back and doesn't have any "traps" is because it's so awesome...it makes we want to do O-week cheers. Too bad school spirit isn't a factor in choosing candidates :(

And rmorelan, are you THAT unchallenged by 2nd year medicine that you have so much free time to answer freaked out premeds' questions?

Actually we don't even look at that - we just ask you to hand in your transcripts as a condition of acceptance which should by June 30 indicate your degree is conferred. Simpler really. As a side note - everyone make sure they actually graduate :)

I am the class president for the class of 2013. It is a part of the mandate I suppose for all students at Schulich to make sure the incoming class is well cared for and particularly a mandate of members of the class councils. I am just one of many people helping - people you will get to see on the interview weekends!

and don't worry - I still get my multiple hours of studying in every day :)

Well depends on your definition of reasonable :) Our blog has stated it will be early Feb, which is the official word. It could easily be this week, it is a couple of weeks post cut off release which is normally when the interviews come out. However if it is early next week that would also be consistent with things.

I've found I use the term "reasonable" a lot more since starting my residency (pharmacy). It's a classier way of phrasing "this isn't completely bonkers, right?" when discussing a patient's drug therapy. Or as an out clause when somebody asks you something you arne't sure of, but don't see anything immediately wrong with it, then you can say "well, that seems reasonable to me".

I've found I use the term "reasonable" a lot more since starting my residency (pharmacy). It's a classier way of phrasing "this isn't completely bonkers, right?" when discussing a patient's drug therapy. Or as an out clause when somebody asks you something you arne't sure of, but don't see anything immediately wrong with it, then you can say "well, that seems reasonable to me".

well expecting the invites this week then would not be "completely bonkers" :)

neither would expecting them early next week. Historically it would be sooner rather than later though.

Archived