Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs Posted

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the update rmorelan! My paranoid side is preventing me from relaxing until I get an email from UWO admissions, but hopefully I'll see you in March. :)

Hopefully so :) Although the 1st years are the main ones running the show those weekends - they are going to put on a good show for everyone!

Hopefully so :) Although the 1st years are the main ones running the show those weekends - they are going to put on a good show for everyone!

If it's anything like the pre-med symposium, they'll be fine. And maybe, just maybe, some of us will be lucky enough to that next year, wherever that may be...

If it's anything like the pre-med symposium, they'll be fine. And maybe, just maybe, some of us will be lucky enough to that next year, wherever that may be...

Side note - that actually that reveals a bit about how med school works. There are set tasks for each year and basically you do things only once - O-Week, interview weekends, certainly council positions, serve on the panel interviews..... There is a progression that requires you to never look back, so while you are here for four years in some ways it feels like a lot less time than that :)

Does anyone (rm, namely :P) know whether Western does their own GPA calculations from your transcript or whether they use the number OMSAS gives them? I don't want to get rejected and contact them....only to embarrass myself and find out that they don't use the OMSAS GPA.

Thanks!

hey! Generally speaking they take what the OMSAS gpa calculates. The only time they change the OMSAS gpa (from what admissions told me last year) is when you have over-loaded in a year (taken 5.5 or 6.0 credits rather than the normal 5.0), they'll drop the lowest mark and recalculate your GPA for that year taking into consideration only 5.0 credits.

hey! Generally speaking they take what the OMSAS gpa calculates. The only time they change the OMSAS gpa (from what admissions told me last year) is when you have over-loaded in a year (taken 5.5 or 6.0 credits rather than the normal 5.0), they'll drop the lowest mark and recalculate your GPA for that year taking into consideration only 5.0 credits.

They have a "weighting formula" like U of M then?...the more you take the more they drop? Now, that's good to hear from on Ontario school! I have one semester that's 5 credits already :o

Does anyone (rm, namely :P) know whether Western does their own GPA calculations from your transcript or whether they use the number OMSAS gives them? I don't want to get rejected and contact them....only to embarrass myself and find out that they don't use the OMSAS GPA.

Thanks!

Hi there!

The use the OMSAS formula but they recalculate it in a sense as they have to take into consideration the best 5.0 credits per year rule.

They have a "weighting formula" like U of M then?...the more you take the more they drop? Now, that's good to hear from on Ontario school! I have one semester that's 5 credits already :o

Yes they do - I should mention though that we suspect that they still must preserve the 60% course load rule after the dropping is complete :)

Were you worried they did some other formula calculation?

Thanks for your speedy response.

Yep, I am worried. My OMSAS GPA was 3.48, but they changed it to 3.7 (by taking my % average and turning that into a GPA) because my school is one of the only 2 in Ontario that uses scale 4 on the OMSAS conversion chart.

This is my first cycle applying (and I decided on it last minute - 4 days before apps were due!) so there was a lot of oversight on my part because I was so focused on getting the app in on time. I didn't care to lose out on an extra 75 bucks here or there if was going to save me time in looking things up.

I didn't benefit from the U of T wGPA formula or Ottawa one (which I SHOULD have known) because I simply had too many bad marks, whereas at U of M they dropped a lot of courses because I took a lot and my GPA was good enough to get me an interview.

Thanks for your speedy response.

Yep, I am worried. My OMSAS GPA was 3.48, but they changed it to 3.7 (by taking my % average and turning that into a GPA) because my school is one of the only 2 in Ontario that uses scale 4 on the OMSAS conversion chart.

This is my first cycle applying (and I decided on it last minute - 4 days before apps were due!) so there was a lot of oversight on my part because I was so focused on getting the app in on time. I didn't care to lose out on an extra 75 bucks here or there if was going to save me time in looking things up.

I didn't benefit from the U of T wGPA formula or Ottawa one (which I SHOULD have known) because I simply had too many bad marks, whereas at U of M they dropped a lot of courses because I took a lot and my GPA was good enough to get me an interview.

Hmmm interesting! Ok, so did you calculate the GPA then for each of your best two years? What did that work out to be?

Hmmm interesting! Ok, so did you calculate the GPA then for each of your best two years? What did that work out to be?

Yep. If I calculated correctly, two best years is 3.84 based on 5.0 credits with my transfer credit marks. 3.81 without those transfer credits.

...If I calculated everything correctly :o

While we're on the subject of OMSAS conversion, do you know what they do when your undergrad institution isn't on the omsas chart? My verification form said my academic record was verified, but that my scores were "non convertible". Will the folks in the admissions office go through my transcript and calculate my gpa according to my school's marking scheme? My grades are listed as percentages on the transcript, not letter grades. I called OMSAS and they told me that each school will verify my record individually. I know that my two best years each are above 3.7 according to my school's marking scheme or the most common percentage scheme used (#3) but if you apply one of the rare schemes (#5) one year dips slightly below (3.69). I guess I will see soon enough, and can call if something is amiss.

Archived